Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   College play offs?It could happen. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49163)

49erNation85 10-21-2011 08:21 AM

College play offs?It could happen.
 
I'm not sure if this what college fans are looking for in college playoff system.But I think we are getting closer fans.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...1711?GT1=39002

Shane P. Hallam 10-21-2011 08:25 AM

Someone will pull an upset and mess this all up, so no, it isn't a playoff.

FUNBUNCHER 10-21-2011 08:50 AM

A REAL college football playoff would be bigger than the NCAA b-ball tournament and NFL playoffs, maybe combined.

8 teams, just do it already.

Those greedy ADs don't realize there would literally be billions of dollars to divide up if there was a legit D1 football playoff.

Shane P. Hallam 10-21-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2720344)
A REAL college football playoff would be bigger than the NCAA b-ball tournament and NFL playoffs, maybe combined.

8 teams, just do it already.

Those greedy ADs don't realize there would literally be billions of dollars to divide up if there was a legit D1 football playoff.

As much as the Presidents as the ADs. It will happen one day.

jrdrylie 10-21-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 2720331)
I'm not sure if this what college fans are looking for in college playoff system.But I think we are getting closer fans.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...1711?GT1=39002

That's not a real playoff. I hate when people try to say that random games within the regular season constitute a playoff. A real playoff would be (as of today).

1. LSU vs. 16. Fresno State
8. Stanford vs. 9. Arkansas
5. Boise State vs. 12. Virginia Tech
4. Oklahoma State vs 13. Rutgers
6. Wisconsin vs. 11. Kansas Staet
3. Oklahoma vs. 14. Temple
7. Clemson vs. Oregon
2. Alabama vs. 15. UL-Lafayette

49erNation85 10-21-2011 01:20 PM

I figured as much but I posted any ways though it was a descent read at least.I'm with you all they just need do it and stop slacking.

BRAVEHEART 10-21-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2720383)
That's not a real playoff. I hate when people try to say that random games within the regular season constitute a playoff. A real playoff would be (as of today).

1. LSU vs. 16. Fresno State
8. Stanford vs. 9. Arkansas
5. Boise State vs. 12. Virginia Tech
4. Oklahoma State vs 13. Rutgers
6. Wisconsin vs. 11. Kansas Staet
3. Oklahoma vs. 14. Temple
7. Clemson vs. Oregon
2. Alabama vs. 15. UL-Lafayette

Temple would be a 14 seed, really? That'd be a dangerous 14 seed.

jrdrylie 10-21-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART (Post 2720477)
Temple would be a 14 seed, really? That'd be a dangerous 14 seed.

My idea for a college football playoff wouldn't have cupcakes like March Madness does. All 11 conference champions make it (yes even the Sun Belt) and then five at large team picked by BCS rankings. Of the 16 teams, I'm pretty sure 14th is about where Temple would rank.

Smooth Criminal 10-21-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2720383)
That's not a real playoff. I hate when people try to say that random games within the regular season constitute a playoff. A real playoff would be (as of today).

1. LSU vs. 16. Fresno State
8. Stanford vs. 9. Arkansas
5. Boise State vs. 12. Virginia Tech
4. Oklahoma State vs 13. Rutgers
6. Wisconsin vs. 11. Kansas Staet
3. Oklahoma vs. 14. Temple
7. Clemson vs. Oregon
2. Alabama vs. 15. UL-Lafayette

And this is why we won't have a college playoff for awhile. The BCS set up lets the major conferences dominate the amount of money that is drawn in by the big games. In this set up, Boise, Temple UL-L, and Fresno would all also get a great deal of the funds, a quarter of the first round in this scenario.

The BCS allows the major conferences to dominate the post season tv ratings, as well as keep their schools much more relevant all year than the non-BCS conferences. Those 6 conferences that benefit will not agree to a playoff until they find a way to concentrate all the profits.

Its naive to think that the ADs and Presidents don't know how much more money a playoff could generate, but they also know it will be more widely distributed than it currently is.

You're idea of taking the 11 conference champions guarantees 5 spots out of 16 to teams that are currently long shots of making it to the big money games. Not that I'm against it, that's just the economics the major conferences are evaluating.

RealityCheck 10-23-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 2720334)
Someone will pull an upset and mess this all up, so no, it isn't a playoff.

Like Texas Tech?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.