Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minnesota Vikings Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Vikings @ Panthers gameday thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49291)

marshallb 10-30-2011 12:44 PM

Vikings @ Panthers gameday thread

Today's inactives: CB Antoine Winfield, RB / KR Lorenzo Booker, LB Xavier Adibi, G Anthony Herrera, OL DeMarcus Love, and DE D'Aundre Reed.

Peterson shouldn't have any problems running this week against Carolina's 29th ranked run defense.

I'm afraid Cam will tear our defense a new one with no Winfield and no Cook again.

yo123 10-30-2011 12:46 PM

Interesting that Stephen Burton is active, he looked terrible in TC/preseason and I was surprised he even made the PS. He must have made some big strides since then.

marshallb 10-30-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo123 (Post 2729607)
Interesting that Stephen Burton is active, he looked terrible in TC/preseason and I was surprised he even made the PS. He must have made some big strides since then.

I don't think they wanted to go into the game with only 4 WRs active and one of them being Harvin who will be limited more so than him being better than any of the inactive guys, but yea it really surprised me that they promoted him. I figured them keeping him around had to do with for next year given that he was raw coming from, IIRC, West Texas A&M. He also supposedly had a hamstring issue in TC that limited him more than was reported.

I'm interested in seeing who they have returning kicks with no Booker and Harvin limited with sore ribs. My guess is that we'll see Joe Webb back there, but I really have no idea.

yo123 10-30-2011 01:04 PM

Or maybe Marcus Sherels!!!!!

yo123 10-30-2011 01:06 PM

Followed by a terrible looking 3 and out and a missed field goal. Awesome.

djp 10-30-2011 01:12 PM

Harvin is such a stud.

yo123 10-30-2011 01:13 PM

Handing the ball off to him ends well every single time. We need to do it more.

sbh15 10-30-2011 01:13 PM

is he usually used as a tailback like that when he gets carries? i thought it was interesting they used him in that role. i've always thought he should be more of a hybrid rb/wr like he was at uf. too explosive not to be

djp 10-30-2011 01:14 PM

Damn, would have been nice to pick up that fumble on the kickoff. How can Raymond miss that recovery?

yo123 10-30-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 2729646)
is he usually used as a tailback like that when he gets carries? i thought it was interesting they used him in that role. i've always thought he should be more of a hybrid rb/wr like he was at uf. too explosive not to be

More of his carries come on reverses I'd say, but they do give it to him out of the backfield every once in a while.

djp 10-30-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 2729646)

No, they use him on end arounds to keep the backside DE from crashing down on Peterson mostly. Harvin's been banged up all year so I don't know how many carries from the backfield he'll get.

djp 10-30-2011 01:21 PM

Asher Allen looking competent early versus Steve Smith. What does that say about Cedric Griffin's play that I trust Allen more than Griffin?

djp 10-30-2011 01:24 PM

It's early in the game, but this will be the first game of Scam Newton's career that I'll watch start to finish. And I like what I see. Huge arm, slippery in the pocket, seems to progress pretty well.

yo123 10-30-2011 01:25 PM

It says Griffin is done. If they're really going to play their best corners when Winfield comes back and if Cook comes back Griffin needs to get buried on the depth chart. Sucks to say but those surgeries took too much out of him.

djp 10-30-2011 01:29 PM

Musgrave must have dusted off half of his playbook because he's throwing a ton of wrinkles in early here. Harvin handoff, Peterson shovel pass.

Ponder's feet look a little antsy. Should have stepped more into that last pass and Harvin took a huge shot because of it. We'll see.

marshallb 10-30-2011 01:44 PM

It was only a matter of time before Carolina just started throwing every pass to Steve Smith. It doesn't matter if we've got Asher Allen or Cedric Griffin on him, neither can cover him at all.

yo123 10-30-2011 01:45 PM

Asher actually had good coverage on him there. He just needs to turn his head.

marshallb 10-30-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo123 (Post 2729727)
Asher actually had good coverage on him there. He just needs to turn his head.

True, but I think I might have seen make a play on the ball maybe once in his career.

marshallb 10-30-2011 01:58 PM

Not sure how that wasn't offsetting penalties on that scuffle on the bench.

Quote:

@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Harvin shouldn't throw down Munnerlyn, but Munnerlyn took him and ran him into the #Panthers bench away from the play. Not offsetting?
Quote:

@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
That's just garbage officiating, honestly. There's no way an official could have seen what actually happened if he's doing his job on field.
So true...

djp 10-30-2011 02:02 PM

If I'm an NFL coach/GM, and I see Abdullah getting dusted by Greg Olsen that badly, he's going to clean his locker out as soon as the plane lands.

If you can't cover a tight end vertically as a safety, it's time to start dialing Arena Football teams for tryouts.

But, since we inexplicably don't have anyone better, he will continue to play and be terrible.

djp 10-30-2011 02:06 PM

Cam Newton is a f'ing monster. I'd take him over Luck. He can make every throw with ease, and he's consistently driving the ball down the field, taking the biggest play possible.

yo123 10-30-2011 02:07 PM

Doesn't hurt that we can't get a pass rush on him but yeah, I was excited to see my first full game from him today and he's been even better than I expected.

djp 10-30-2011 02:10 PM

It's almost scary how much Kyle Rudolph reminds me of Greg Olsen.

yo123 10-30-2011 03:54 PM

Pretty solid game from Erin Henderson today

marshallb 10-30-2011 04:13 PM

Well...we got the win. A lot of good and a lot of bad. We've got a lot of HUGE needs, but I feel like if we'd have been starting Ponder since week 1 that we'd be .500 right now.

EDIT: I also want to add that this was another exciting game. Back to back weeks that Ponder has started and they've been much better games than any that McNabb started.