Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Could Alshon Jeffery Fall Out of Round 1? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49509)

Dallas357 11-14-2011 03:52 PM

Could Alshon Jeffery Fall Out of Round 1?

Call me crazy, but I really see it happening.

Razor 11-14-2011 03:59 PM

How shocked will I be? Well, I won't be shocked at all. I think he's vastly overrated.. In fact, I didn't include him in the first in my latest mock draft.

jsa230 11-14-2011 04:15 PM

Slightly . . if he gets in shape for the combine he will go first round. Just looked slow and fat against Florida. Might be a good possession wr in the pros just not worthy of a 1st. But i have a round 1 wr bias. Guys like Fitz, Johnson, Megatron, Dez, Crabtree, Jones, Green . . those are the wr you draft in the first round.

ShutDwn 11-14-2011 04:15 PM

If teams are smart, he will fall.

MidwayMonster31 11-14-2011 04:16 PM

Even though South Carolina's quarterbacks haven't done much for him, I haven't really seen much from him in terms of route running and getting consistent separation. He also looks a little too pudgy.

jsa230 11-14-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDwn (Post 2748842)
If teams are smart, he will fall.

Teams are idiots, so he will most likely go 1st round.

princefielder28 11-14-2011 04:21 PM

I am starting to sour on Alshon...he was incredible last year but i'm not seeing that from him this year and it's not just due to the QB issues

FUNBUNCHER 11-14-2011 04:24 PM

I think he runs a 4.7 predraft. Most people won't be shocked at all.
Alshon has the tools to become a starter in the league, but he's not worth IMO a first round pick.

TACKLE 11-14-2011 04:25 PM

Very mildly shocked. PF mentioned the QB issues which are valid but he hasn't done anything to erase doubts about his ability to separate.

ChiFan24 11-14-2011 04:34 PM

Not at all shocked either. Not impressed by the guy at all; I think Michael Floyd has clearly overtaken him.

jrdrylie 11-14-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsa230 (Post 2748849)
Teams are idiots, so he will most likely go 1st round.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

But should he? Absolutely not. He was never a speedster. Now he is fat and out of shape. You think that will change after he signs a multi million dollar contract? Against Florida, on Connor Shaw's interception, Alshon Jeffrey was just standing there waiting for the ball, This allowed the Gator to jump the route and pick it off. Jeffrey didn't even make an attempt to fight for the ball. But with my luck, he'll drop to the mid 20s and the Bears will draft him.

jsa230 11-14-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2748941)
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

But should he? Absolutely not. He was never a speedster. Now he is fat and out of shape. You think that will change after he signs a multi million dollar contract? Against Florida, on Connor Shaw's interception, Alshon Jeffrey was just standing there waiting for the ball, This allowed the Gator to jump the route and pick it off. Jeffrey didn't even make an attempt to fight for the ball. But with my luck, he'll drop to the mid 20s and the Bears will draft him.

I might actually feel sorry for bears fans if they pick Jeffrey over Sanu. I said might

mriforgot 11-14-2011 05:31 PM

After seeing him at the Chick-fil-A Bowl last year, I won't be surprised at all. The whole game, he seemed somewhat listless on the field, and botched a couple plays badly through either poor route-running or just dropping catchable balls.

keylime_5 11-14-2011 05:45 PM

It wouldn't surprise me considering a lot of WRs have fallen on draft day recently (Crabtree, Bryant, Jarrett, Rice, Harvin, DeSean Jackson). Being out of shape and playing in Spurrier's offense where basically a jump ball fade to Alshon is their entire passing offense for the past three years wont help his stock, and looking bad at the combine will cause him to freefall if he's not careful. I think he could be a huge Sidney Rice type steal though if he goes into the league and plays like he did in 2010. Stephen Garcia faceplanting this year was just as big of a shot to his stock as anything else.

Iamcanadian 11-14-2011 09:01 PM

Not a fan and have been telling Scott to drop him since his opening mock draft.

LonghornsLegend 11-14-2011 09:11 PM

I think the better question to pose is 'could he eat himself out of the 1st round?'

holt_bruce81 11-14-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 2748858)
I am starting to sour on Alshon...he was incredible last year but i'm not seeing that from him this year and it's not just due to the QB issues

I feel the exact same way.

regoob2 11-14-2011 10:37 PM

Looks like everyone had a big glass of overreaction today. He will be in great before the combine. The weight issue is a big deal but he wont fall out of the first. Even with the extra weight he is a special player. You cant teach what he can do.

Complex 11-14-2011 10:39 PM

I would love the titans to draft Jeffery in 2nd round. If we needed a WR, I would be okay with him in the 1st.

rawdawg 11-14-2011 10:40 PM

Eh, I think he's still a 1st rounder. I'm not sure the "fat and out of shape" stuff has been proven. He definitely looks lazy this year though. I'm really disappointed that he didn't put that offense on his back once Lattimore went out, but he still has 3 games to do so, including 2 huge ones vs. Clemson and the bowl game. He has enough of a body of work from last year to fall back on. And at his size, if he can show scouts at the combine that he is in shape, he'll be back in the 1st round conversation.

That being said, I'd be afraid to draft him. Kinda reminds me of Jonathan Baldwin last year. Has the #1 WR ability, but if I'm drafting a WR in the 1st round I want him to basically force his QB to throw him the ball on 3rd and 5 for a 1st down...especially with an inexperienced QB. You're seeing that from Sanu. You see that from Michael Floyd. Haven't seen that from Jeffrey nor did I from Baldwin last year, which is why I wouldn't touch either.

Chris 11-14-2011 10:41 PM

Alshon be smokin' on that Banner so ya'll better mind yo manners.

descendency 11-14-2011 10:57 PM

Do you really want him to be around when the Patriots pick? You don't think Bill Belichick will know how to the "disrespected player" card?

bucfan12 11-15-2011 10:31 AM

Ehh, I don't see him falling out of round 1. If he gets his fat *** into shape, and runs a 4.5, I think he'll be a top 8-12 pick, maybe higher. His upside is better than Blackmon, who I think is a number 2 WR at the NFL level. Plus, jeffery doesn't have the best QB situation right now and with Lattimore out for the season, he's the only guy defenses have to worry about.

WR Comparisons in my book:

Jeffery: if he gets into shape, could be Brandon Marshall. If not, he'll be a couch potato like USC's Mike Williams.

Blackmon: Anquan Bolden- may never be a true number 1 dominate WR, but if he's in the right offense and with a good Wr opposite of him, he'll be very successful.

Floyd: Larry Fitzgerald: He just has great hands, can dominate CBs with his strenghth, leaping ability to be a huge redzone threat. My opinion, best WR in this draft.

jrdrylie 11-15-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 2750037)
WR Comparisons in my book:

Jeffery: if he gets into shape, could be Brandon Marshall. If not, he'll be a couch potato like USC's Mike Williams.

Blackmon: Anquan Bolden- may never be a true number 1 dominate WR, but if he's in the right offense and with a good Wr opposite of him, he'll be very successful.

Floyd: Larry Fitzgerald: He just has great hands, can dominate CBs with his strenghth, leaping ability to be a huge redzone threat. My opinion, best WR in this draft.

I think Blackmon is faster than Boldin. While Blackmon isn't going to run in the 4.3s, I think he is definitely somewhere between 4.45 and 4.55. Boldin runs a 4.7. I would compare him more to Dwayne Bowe or Hakeem Nicks. They are around the same height as Blackmon. Neither is super fast, but they have enough speed to be legitimate number ones.

patriots21 11-15-2011 04:29 PM

Jon Baldwin clone