Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The Coaching Change Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49630)

diabsoule 11-21-2011 04:40 PM

The Coaching Change Thread
 
According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, it would require a "miracle turnaround" for Norv Turner to stay on as the Chargers' head coach in 2012.

"It will take a miracle turnaround for Norv Turner to be the coach beyond this year," said Acee on NFL Network's Around the League segment on Monday. The Chargers have dropped five straight games and are in last place in the AFC West. ESPN's Jerry Rice also blamed Turner for the Chargers' 2011 collapse on SportsCenter Monday. "Norv Turner is one of those coaches that just canít you over the hump," Rice said. "I played under this guy." The Chargers appear headed for their second straight playoffs-less season.

J-Mike88 11-21-2011 04:42 PM

Who would replace Norv?
Bring Marty back.... he just showed he's capable of winning a title.

thegreatone 11-21-2011 04:48 PM

Norv is welcomed to come to Baltimore.

CC.SD 11-21-2011 04:52 PM

He's welcome to go to Baltimore.

btw it's worth noting that for years now Acee is literally how AJ Smith speaks to the media, there has never been a bigger puppet in beat reporter history. There were literally waves of shock in opposing newspapers when Acee criticized the team in an article recently...sad.

vidae 11-21-2011 04:55 PM

If the Chiefs lose out, which is entirely possibly (Cassel was just put on IR) I could see Haley and the entire coaching staff being let go. I hope to god we don't even interview McDaniels. That would be flat out awful.

Sloopy 11-21-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatone (Post 2759149)
Norv is welcomed to come to Baltimore.

Just as an OC :) get CAM OUT OF HERE

thegreatone 11-21-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia (Post 2759179)
Just as an OC :) get CAM OUT OF HERE

Yep.

Amen to that.

EAST ATL Zone 6 11-21-2011 07:39 PM

Looks like Norv Turner could be fired as early as next week!

niel89 11-21-2011 07:48 PM

I'd love him as a OC for the Ravens but I really wouldn't want him to be my HC.

thegreatone 11-21-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 2759434)
I'd love him as a OC for the Ravens but I really wouldn't want him to be my HC.

No doubt the guy is a terrible HC.

But hes one of the best offensive play callers in the game.

Hes very much like Wade Phillips. Crappy HC's, but amazing coordinators.

eltwentyone 11-21-2011 09:43 PM

http://www.twitvid.com/A2A5D

lmfaoo Norv Turner Ethered

SickwithIt1010 11-21-2011 09:47 PM

Turner is arguably the best OC in football, but that hasnt really translated into success as a head coach. Like someone said, much like Wade Phillips. Someone will be very lucky to land Turner as an OC.

San Diego Chicken 11-21-2011 09:54 PM

Cowher would be my dream hire, but it's a long shot. I would settle for Jeff Fisher though. I like Gruden but he's a long shot, and Spanos is too cheap to get him. Billick doesn't excite me. I'd be happy with Mike Zimmer, he's earned a HC opportunity.

In the end though I think Spanos will hire Pete Carmichael Jr. (Saints OC). He was a former Chargers assistant too.

Splat 11-21-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 2759166)
If the Chiefs lose out, which is entirely possibly (Cassel was just put on IR) I could see Haley and the entire coaching staff being let go. I hope to god we don't even interview McDaniels. That would be flat out awful.

I'm not Todd's biggest fan but having half the team go on IR and then being fired is kinda of a raw deal.

Iamcanadian 11-21-2011 10:37 PM

I hear both Turner and their GM Smith could both go.
Caldwell is probably gone.
Del Rios will likely go.
Frazier probably gets one more year.
Sprgnuolo could be in real trouble.
Whisenhunt will likely get another year.
Haley should get another year.
That's about all I can see who are possibilities.

I didn't include Sparano, the Miami HC, because the owner will call the shot there and the team is playing very well with a 2nd string QB.
No way Raheem Morris is fired.

shylo3716 11-21-2011 10:37 PM

Sparano out for Miami, so who is in?


Da-Phins 11-22-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2759939)
Sparano out for Miami, so who is in?


Wouldnt mind that at all. Doubt we will be able to get him though unless he falls in love with the other QB's not named Luck.

AntoinCD 11-22-2011 10:45 AM

I think a lot of teams, particularly some of the smaller market teams who could be changing coach(Arizona, Jacksonville etc), may look to college instead of going for a guy like Cowher or Gruden or a highly rated coordinator.

A lot of highly successful NFL cooridnators were recently made head coaches and in general most have failed or struggled.

Josh McDaniels
Wade Phillips
Norv Turner
Ken Wisenhunt
Todd Haley
Leslie Frazier

Just as examples.

If Gene Smith for example has a choice between Jon Gruden or someone from college I think he would be more than likely to opt for college rather than a more highly paid former HC in the NFL.

vidae 11-22-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splat (Post 2759826)
I'm not Todd's biggest fan but having half the team go on IR and then being fired is kinda of a raw deal.

I don't disagree at all, but losing is losing. Pioli is in a weird position here, because if he wanted to he could justify either keeping (We had a ton of injuries, Todd is the right guy for this job etc) or firing (Losing as many games as we did how we did is just not acceptable) Todd at any moment. He could literally go either way and justify it.

bucfan12 11-22-2011 12:55 PM

If Norv Turner is fired, he'd be smart not to coach anywhere next year. He was locked up to an extension back after the 2009 season, so he'll get paid if he sits out.

I think Caldwell and Del Rio are both gone. Shannahan could be under the hotseat as well.

Andy Reid could be fired, along with Steve Spagnola. The Rams regressed after a 7-9 season when they were supposed to contend for teh NFC West.

I think Whisenhunt keeps his job for another year to see if he can develop an offense around Kolb.

I think if the Bucs finish below 7-9, they're going to can Raheem Morris. They've shown no improvement and lack discipline needed on a pretty talented bunch.

I think Pat Shurmur is questionable. In fairness, he had the lockout to deal with, but the Browns were supposed to be improved. The offense just isn't very good.

T-RICH49 11-22-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 2760343)
I don't disagree at all, but losing is losing. Pioli is in a weird position here, because if he wanted to he could justify either keeping (We had a ton of injuries, Todd is the right guy for this job etc) or firing (Losing as many games as we did how we did is just not acceptable) Todd at any moment. He could literally go either way and justify it.

IIRC is'nt this Haley's last year on his contract?they could just announce he won't return w/o actually firing him

bucfan12 11-22-2011 01:00 PM

Top coaching candidates:

Rich Basacia Special Teams Coordinator San Diego: His name is starting to surface. He just has the demeanor and motivation to be a head coach in teh league.

Perry Fewell Def. Coordinator New York Giants: Has been very successful with the Giants and has excellent attitude and is a players coach but doesn't lack the discipline either. Comparable to Mike Tomlin in so many ways.

Derek Koeter OFf. Coordinator Jaxsonville Jaguars: Very good play caller and seems likeable by the players. He could be an inhouse replacement for Del RIo.

Xenos 11-22-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken (Post 2759819)
Cowher would be my dream hire, but it's a long shot. I would settle for Jeff Fisher though. I like Gruden but he's a long shot, and Spanos is too cheap to get him. Billick doesn't excite me. I'd be happy with Mike Zimmer, he's earned a HC opportunity.

In the end though I think Spanos will hire Pete Carmichael Jr. (Saints OC). He was a former Chargers assistant too.

Keep him as far away from SD as possible. When the guy you are hiring is the same one that is continually being outcoached by the guy you just fired, then maybe it's best to stay away.

bucfan12 11-22-2011 01:05 PM

I thought Cowher said he isn't interested in coaching in 2012. Makes me wonder if he'll ever get back into it.

SickwithIt1010 11-22-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 2760523)
Top coaching candidates:

Rich Basacia Special Teams Coordinator San Diego: His name is starting to surface. He just has the demeanor and motivation to be a head coach in teh league.

Perry Fewell Def. Coordinator New York Giants: Has been very successful with the Giants and has excellent attitude and is a players coach but doesn't lack the discipline either. Comparable to Mike Tomlin in so many ways.

Derek Koeter OFf. Coordinator Jaxsonville Jaguars: Very good play caller and seems likeable by the players. He could be an inhouse replacement for Del RIo.

I hope he is a new coach this year because SD's special teams has been pretty bad in recent years.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.