Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Urban Meyer did what???? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49756)

Ozzy 11-28-2011 07:32 AM

Urban Meyer did what????
 
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...us-sources-say



How could this guy do this? He leaves Florida because he has "healthy concerns" and to spend more time with his "family"....

Then he becomes an ESPN analyst because I guess family time is not that important...




Now becomes the next head coach at Ohio State?


Honestly is Florida that bad of gig, to get out of there for some reason, then just go back into coaching?


This is seriously messed up if this is all true...

Smooth Criminal 11-28-2011 07:44 AM

I honestly don't think he planned this one. No one expected Tressel to be out when Meyer quit. When this opportunity came up I just think he had to take it. He probably always planned on coaching again, I don't think he thought it would be this fast though.

Sloopy 11-28-2011 07:51 AM

Wooooooooooooooo

sbh15 11-28-2011 07:53 AM

meyer is a dirty scum

Sloopy 11-28-2011 07:58 AM

I think that you guys are giving him too much **** for wanting to coach again. He spent some time off with his family, worked at ESPN but can you really fault a guy for holding a job?

Then a golden opportunity falls in your lap that you've probably always dreamed about. Can't fault him there. By all accounts and rumors before this became official THE Ohio State University is allowing him to higher a superstar staff to help take some of the pressure off of him

sbh15 11-28-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia (Post 2766958)
I think that you guys are giving him too much **** for wanting to coach again. He spent some time off with his family, worked at ESPN but can you really fault a guy for holding a job?

Then a golden opportunity falls in your lap that you've probably always dreamed about. Can't fault him there. By all accounts and rumors before this became official THE Ohio State University is allowing him to higher a superstar staff to help take some of the pressure off of him

not really. he almost quit florida once citing that he was severely concerned for his own health. the next season he was clearly not fully there, so he retired. i can't fault him for taking the espn job because it's low stress and would allow him to spend time with his family.

now he's coaching ohio state? he's completely going back on everything he's ever said. not to mention he will be spending no time with his family because it's nearly impossible to build a team out of players in that area. he's going to be all over the country recruiting and have more stress than ever.

he's a lying p.o.s, and it's sad because i defended him until he left florida. parents aren't going to want their kids playing for this guy because he shows zero loyalty to his schools -- he quit on florida twice. he also left florida in a wreck because of the way he handled his retirement.

bottom line is, the dude is a selfish, lying son of a gun. he's a great coach, and braxton miller is going to have an awesome career in his offense, but don't confuse a good coach with a good person.

SolidGold 11-28-2011 08:21 AM

Worst kept secret ever. Have to agree with SBH too. Didn't Meyer almost have a stroke or heart attack which caused him to leave Florida?

Sloopy 11-28-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 2766965)
not really. he almost quit florida once citing that he was severely concerned for his own health. the next season he was clearly not fully there, so he retired. i can't fault him for taking the espn job because it's low stress and would allow him to spend time with his family.

now he's coaching ohio state? he's completely going back on everything he's ever said. not to mention he will be spending no time with his family because it's nearly impossible to build a team out of players in that area. he's going to be all over the country recruiting and have more stress than ever.

he's a lying p.o.s, and it's sad because i defended him until he left florida. parents aren't going to want their kids playing for this guy because he shows zero loyalty to his schools -- he quit on florida twice. he also left florida in a wreck because of the way he handled his retirement.

bottom line is, the dude is a selfish, lying son of a gun. he's a great coach, and braxton miller is going to have an awesome career in his offense, but don't confuse a good coach with a good person.

I'm not trying to sound like a Buckeye homer here but for the most part this has been what THE Ohio State University has built successful teams around for a long time now. The state of Ohio is no slouch in recruiting. Yes we take players from other big states as well and he probably will target Florida specifically but it's not impossible to get most of your recruits from Ohio, especially the lower tier guys (3 and some 4 star guys)

He also gave Florida two national championships. I get where people might get mad but it's not like he left with the underhanded purpose of becoming the coach at THE Ohio State University.

Sloopy 11-28-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 2766969)
Worst kept secret ever. Have to agree with SBH too. Didn't Meyer almost have a stroke or heart attack which caused him to leave Florida?

Supposed heart conditions I believe though SBH might know more than I

Raiderz4Life 11-28-2011 08:28 AM

Really don't see the big deal...saban and petrino were worse imo...this is nothing

SolidGold 11-28-2011 08:31 AM

Ohio St should have no issues winning a NC. They get a lot of talent from Ohio/Mich/Western Pa. This move does obviously help the BIG10. Michigan is on the upswing and Wisconsin is solid. Penn St might be looking at a few lean years depending on who they get as the replacement.

sbh15 11-28-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raiderz4life (Post 2766977)
Really don't see the big deal...saban and petrino were worse imo...this is nothing

i'm not that mad, i'm just stating my reasons for considering meyer a scummy person. i believe that saban and petrino are even worse, for sure. like i said, meyer is a very good coach, and i will take the two national championships he won even though the team is a wreck right now. i hope he does well at ohio state. i'm just saying that any criticism he gets for being a piece of **** is well deserved.

and as for his reason for leaving, he claimed health problems having to do with his heart because of stress. there were a lot of rumors, though, like that he was sleeping with a student and his wife made him leave to straighten out the marriage. i also believe that he couldn't really tolerate the level of cheating (pay for play) that the sec has reached and wanted to get out of it while he could.

also, with the kids sec teams are pulling from the south, there's no way you can field a national championship team out of the ohio/pennsylvania area unless there's not an undefeated sec team. athletes from the south are too big, strong, and flat out good these days and recruiting 3 and 4 stars from up north isn't cutting it.

Smooth Criminal 11-28-2011 08:45 AM

I really don't see anything wrong with it. I would have if he hadn't taken a year off, or if it was planned hed go to Ohio State when he retired. When Tressel stepped down, it opened up what is probably Meyers dream job, and who know when he would have had an opportunity like this again had he not taken it now. If OSU made another hire Meyer probably wouldn't have gotten an offer from the school ever again.

sbh15 11-28-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 2766988)
I really don't see anything wrong with it. I would have if he hadn't taken a year off, or if it was planned hed go to Ohio State when he retired. When Tressel stepped down, it opened up what is probably Meyers dream job, and who know when he would have had an opportunity like this again had he not taken it now. If OSU made another hire Meyer probably wouldn't have gotten an offer from the school ever again.

yes, but his whole stated reason for leaving uf was to spend more time with his family and reduce his stress load. it's not a matter of him leaving uf just to go to ohio state, because coaches change schools all the time. the real issue i have is that he is contradicting himself completely by taking back all of the responsibility and then some that he had at uf. he lied to the faces of florida fans. it's just a scumbag move.

i would have no qualm with meyer if he had just told the truth about why he left florida. but instead he claimed health/family problems, got the sympathy of our fanbase and bailed. now he's right back in coaching? it's shady on his part

jth1331 11-28-2011 09:11 AM

People don't see anything wrong with Meyer retiring from Florida for health concerns, and then after a year take on the Ohio State job which is going to be more stressful?
Seriously?

sbh15 11-28-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jth1331 (Post 2767009)
People don't see anything wrong with Meyer retiring from Florida for health concerns, and then after a year take on the Ohio State job which is going to be more stressful?
Seriously?

welcome to the world of college football

Dagagad 11-28-2011 09:26 AM

He won Florida two national championships. He could have taken your ma out for dinner and never called and you would have no right to be mad. Seriously..two rings.

Dagagad 11-28-2011 09:27 AM

Great hire. Also means I can like OSU as they'll stop playing boring ass tresselball.

bucfan12 11-28-2011 09:34 AM

This is a perfect hire for Ohio State. Braxton Miller will flourish in this offense, in my opinion.

However, How do you trust Urban Meyer? He left Florida due to Health Concerns, and felt he needed to retire from coaching for a while. So, after a year, he takes on the task of coaching Ohio State? Really? Did he just want to get out of Florida or was his health concerns not that serious? I don;t know, but this has to be a slap in the face to Florida.

BuckeyeDan17 11-28-2011 09:43 AM

Yeah. Weird. Concerned with heart problems, and you're taking on a job with one of the most demanding, spoiled fanbases the world has ever seen. Lot of pressure for a guy that had trouble keeping his stress levels controlled.

However, I'll take it.

JoeJoeBrown 11-28-2011 10:09 AM

I like the hire.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are whining like little babies about Meyer going back into coaching after a year off.

I mean, a year off to recharge and the job that you've dreamed about since you were a kid falls into your lap while getting paid $5.8M per year is something that you should definitely not take.

Yeah, it's high pressure. Yeah, it's going to be stressful. Hopefully he's figured out a bit more about how to balance life and work.

The whining is definitely bringing me additional joy to the news of the hire.

He'd be an idiot to pass it up. Life doesn't always go according to plan. Any of you babies crying about him would do the same damn thing if you were in his shoes.

bucfan12 11-28-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown (Post 2767083)
I like the hire.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are whining like little babies about Meyer going back into coaching after a year off.

I mean, a year off to recharge and the job that you've dreamed about since you were a kid falls into your lap while getting paid $5.8M per year is something that you should definitely not take.

Yeah, it's high pressure. Yeah, it's going to be stressful. Hopefully he's figured out a bit more about how to balance life and work.

The whining is definitely bringing me additional joy to the news of the hire.

He'd be an idiot to pass it up. Life doesn't always go according to plan. Any of you babies crying about him would do the same damn thing if you were in his shoes.

It;s not whining there bud. It's just odd to see him retire due to health concerns, then wind up coaching again a year later. I'm not even a Florida fan, so nothing against them.

It's a great hire for Ohio State and think they'll be a NAT'L Title contenders in the next year or 2. But did Meyer just want to get out of Florida? That I don't understand.

diabsoule 11-28-2011 10:20 AM

I've heard several rumors that the "health concerns" were a cover-up for something else and that his family forced him to step down from being head coach there and relocate for reasons unrelated to his health.

keylime_5 11-28-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 2766950)
I honestly don't think he planned this one. No one expected Tressel to be out when Meyer quit. When this opportunity came up I just think he had to take it. He probably always planned on coaching again, I don't think he thought it would be this fast though.

that's exactly what it is. he grew up in ohio, coached at ohio state in the '80s, was from a family of huge buckeye fans, too good of an oppurtunity to pass up.

diabsoule 11-28-2011 10:37 AM

Ohio State was one of Meyer's dream jobs. He took a year off after coaching for 10 straight years and then when this opportunity came up and OSU approached him he took it. There aren't many people that would turn down their dream job.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.