Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   SWDC Presents: A Complete List of Sports (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49913)

TheBoyWonder22 12-06-2011 03:57 AM

SWDC Presents: A Complete List of Sports
 
So I checked my Twitter a few minutes ago and the first tweet I see is my friend complaining about how idiotic people are for thinking bowling isn't a sport. At first I disagreed. It's a game I enjoy, but not a sport. This led me to think of all the dumb arguments I've had throughout my life about what constitute a sport. Whether it be dance, yoga, **** somebody tried to argue marching band is a sport!
Let me first say that this is the least important argument people have based upon some weird longing of their own significance and how they're perceived by others. But hell, for the sake of argument, comprise your own list of what you see as being a "sport" and try to support the controversial inclusions.

Hawk 12-06-2011 04:36 AM

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Hockey
Soccer
Swimming
Cricket
Badminton
Golf
MMA
Boxing
Wrestling(not the fake one)
Track
Rowing
Volleyball
Skiing
Dodgeball
Snowboarding
Luge
Curling
Fencing
Rugby
Bowling - I'd say its a sport, but its definitely iffy.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something obvious.

And I'm sorry, I love NASCAR, but that's not a sport. Neither is cheerleading. Fishing is another one thats iffy, but I'll say no. Its an activity. Discuss.

kalbears13 12-06-2011 04:47 AM

My definition over the course of debating with people:

A rigorous, athletic, and physical competition with a set of rules where a team or individual wins or loses based on their points accumulated through performance and skill, not solely by the decision of a third party (so anything with judges isn't a sport, but referees and umpires are okay). And a sport must be played without an internal combustion engine.

So by my definition, bowling is a sport. A stupid sport that no one likes to watch, but definitely a sport.

niel89 12-06-2011 04:56 AM

I have had this same discussion so many times. The way I've hashed it out, there are 3 main categories with some intermingling. I think there are Sports, Games, and Competitions.

Sports

There has to be a cardiovascular element to it. Being the biggest/strongest/fastest/most in shape is a distinct advantage in sports. Often Sports have teams and winners are often decided by points or something similar. Strategy is also is a contributing factor. There almost always is a direct competitor in sports, ie team a vs team b or player x vs player b. Multiple skills are needed to successful in Sports.

Examples are: Football, Basketball, Tennis, Hockey, Soccer, Rugby.

Games

Games are less physically intensive and focus more on individual skills or a small group of skills. Some games can be very focus on mental aspects. Being the biggest/strongest/fastest doesn't completely equate to dominance in most Games. People don't have to be in top physical shape to compete in a lot of Games.

Examples of Games: Golf, Bowling, Pool, Poker, Chess.

Competitions

Competitions, like Sports, have a intrinsic cardiovascular element to them. Many Competitions are decided by judges. If the winner is picked by a judge, then it probably is a Competition. Things like dance, gymnastics, surfing, marching bands. Racing also falls under Competitions because of the often individuality of racing and the use of time as the major deciding factor.

Examples of Competitions: Dance, Surfing, Racing (either marathons, autoracing, swimming, biking, ect), Track & Field.


There are somethings that intermix like Baseball. I think it falls right between Sports and Games. It has team elements, is decided by points in a head to head context, but doesn't have a strong emphasis on cardiovascular endurance like soccer or rugby. Also Baseball is very skill-centric. A batter has a very specific set of skills to be successful, but a great hitter doesn't have to be greatly athletically gifted to be successful.

Likewise, Boxing/Fighting is on the Sport/Competition fence a little bit for me. Guys get winded and being bigger and stronger is directly connected to being successful. However a judge is still used to decide who the winner is in many cases. If I had to choose, I go Sport, but I dislike when judges decide a victor.

This is just something that I've hashed out over the years. Its not infallible and it has a lot of stuff I'm still working though. What do you guys think about this general idea of how to classify these different competitive activities? Throw up some more activities and I'll tell you where they fit into this in my mind. Its easier to work through examples to get a feel for how they fit than to try to explain it like I did.

soybean 12-06-2011 04:58 AM

skee shooting.

Hawk 12-06-2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalbears13 (Post 2777947)
My definition over the course of debating with people:

A rigorous, athletic, and physical competition with a set of rules where a team or individual wins or loses based on their points accumulated through performance and skill, not solely by the decision of a third party (so anything with judges isn't a sport, but referees and umpires are okay). And a sport must be played without an internal combustion engine.

So by my definition, bowling is a sport. A stupid sport that no one likes to watch, but definitely a sport.

Boxing has judges, and it is definitely a sport.

A few more to add:

Speedskating
Cycling
Wiffleball
Frisbee Golf
Racquetball
TENNIS - theres the obvious one I missed
Polo
Lacrosse

niel89 12-06-2011 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalbears13 (Post 2777947)
My definition over the course of debating with people:

A rigorous, athletic, and physical competition with a set of rules where a team or individual wins or loses based on their points accumulated through performance and skill, not solely by the decision of a third party (so anything with judges isn't a sport, but referees and umpires are okay). And a sport must be played without an internal combustion engine.

Beautiful definition of Sports. I wish I was so eloquent in my post.


How I would define these:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 2777946)
Football -Sport
Baseball -Sport/Game
Basketball -Sport
Hockey -Sport
Soccer-Sport
Swimming -Competition
Cricket - I don't know enough on this
Badminton - Same here
Golf -Game
MMA -Sport/Competition
Boxing -Sport/Competition
Wrestling(not the fake one) -Sport/Competition
Track -Competition
Rowing -Competition
Volleyball -Sport
Skiing -Competition
Dodgeball -Sport
Snowboarding -Competition
Luge -Competition
Curling -Game
Fencing - Not sure here either.
Rugby -Sport
Bowling -Game

NASCAR -Competition
Cheerleading -Competition
Fishing -Game or Competition maybe, I would need to talk this one out.


fenikz 12-06-2011 05:04 AM

MMA also has judges and I would certainly call it a sport but that means I have to also include Gymnastics and Ice Dancing

wogitalia 12-06-2011 05:12 AM

It's pretty simple for me... I like the actual definition of the word that was created for a reason.

I mean do you look at a duck and go "I don't like that people call that a duck so I'm calling it an antelope instead" No because that is just stupid and doesn't make sense, so why should a word like sport be any different?

A sport is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

I personally draw the line at Chess/Checkers, sure there is a "physical" element to them but realistically you could play it without any physical movement if you have people to move pieces for you.

I don't see any reason to try and reinvent English as a language so that I can try and belittle a sport that someone else plays, I don't see the point of it or how it makes someone feel better about themself to try and recreate the meaning of well defined words.

So I can't say I'm a fan of niel89s idea to not just try and change the meaning of one word but instead go for 3 words but to each their own I guess...

MetSox17 12-06-2011 05:15 AM

stock car racing is a sport. it is physically exhausting, and a lot of the strategy behind it is having the team that is the quickest, most efficient and most skilled of others, coupled with the driver's racing abilities.

niel89 12-06-2011 05:28 AM

In no way am I trying to belittle one activity over another. I'm just trying to classify each one with out judging the activity. I just want a clearer picture. In my classifications, I don't necessarily think that Sports are better than Games or Competitions. They each have their own merits.

MetSox17 12-06-2011 05:34 AM

To be honest, it's just kinda dumb to try and differentiate, because you can describe most "sports" as games and competitions. So how do you make sure that one is one but not the other? It's silly. It's either a sport, or it isn't. Bowling to me is not a sport.

wogitalia 12-06-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

In no way am I trying to belittle one activity over another. I'm just trying to classify each one with out judging the activity. I just want a clearer picture. In my classifications, I don't necessarily think that Sports are better than Games or Competitions. They each have their own merits.
Fair enough, I still don't really see a point in changing the definition of words unless you have some kind reason to do so. I mean what is there to gain by trying to change the English language?

I mean I could understand if you were trying to classify different sports as individual sports or team sports, or scoring, judgement or time based sports or something like that, that would make some kind of sense. In your case I'd have thought that would make more sense, you seem to want to classify different sports moreso than belittle any particular sport but all of those you listed are sports.

Changing the meaning of established words though nearly always has some kind of ulterior motive behind it. I haven't even mentioned that both games and competitions are often components of sports, which is where changing meanings really starts to show its warts.

wogitalia 12-06-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Bowling to me is not a sport.
See that is the problem with changing the meaning of a word for your own means. That's like saying a duck to me isn't an animal. Sport is a noun, it describes a thing, it has a clear definition. Bowling is most certainly a physical activity, it is most certainly governed by a set of rules and further to that is most often engaged in competitively.

I just don't see how given a clear and concise definition such as what sport has that people can come to conclusion that something meeting all the criteria of that definition is "just not a sport".

Would love to hear your reasoning for why you think bowling shouldn't be a sport.

MetSox17 12-06-2011 05:47 AM

Do you think card playing should be a sport? There has to be a certain threshold that must be met in order to be considered a "phsyical" activity, which i see as a requirement for sports. Like card playing, there literally is physical activity required in order to bowl, but not enough to where i can say, 'geez, i'm sure that guy really needs hone his craft while maintaining top competitive phsyical form'. Like billiards, or darts. All skill, minimal physical strains on the body. Any fat body can learn how to spin a bowling ball and be good.

Hawk 12-06-2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Any fat body can learn how to spin a bowling ball and be good.
John Daly. Golf is still a sport right?

MetSox17 12-06-2011 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 2777969)
John Daly. Golf is still a sport right?

At his worst, John Daly was still more of an athlete than any bowler, ever. Daly could drive the ball further than anyone in the sport. That takes a huge amount of skill and strength. He was just so good that he could drink and gamble and still be pretty damn good.

wogitalia 12-06-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Do you think card playing should be a sport? There has to be a certain threshold that must be met in order to be considered a "phsyical" activity, which i see as a requirement for sports. Like card playing, there literally is physical activity required in order to bowl, but not enough to where i can say, 'geez, i'm sure that guy really needs hone his craft while maintaining top competitive phsyical form'. Like billiards, or darts. All skill, minimal physical strains on the body. Any fat body can learn how to spin a bowling ball and be good.
Cards is right there with Chess, you can play cards without even touching the cards, ie someone else can do it for you. That's not a physical activity.

Bowling most certainly is though, I quite like the "mouse test" if you can't do it with a mouse then it's probably a physical activity.

Quote:

At his worst, John Daly was still more of an athlete than any bowler, ever. Daly could drive the ball further than anyone in the sport. That takes a huge amount of skill and strength. He was just so good that he could drink and gamble and still be pretty damn good.
Why? How is hitting a golf ball any different to bowling a bowling ball, probably at a higher speed, with far more spin and control than others can.

That's like saying baseball isn't a sport because anyone can throw a ball or swing a bat and you are once again getting back to trying to change what "sport" actually means.

You can't apply a fat test(look at half the NFL), just like you can't apply an cardiovascular fitness test(again, half the NFL).

Quote:

All skill, minimal physical strains on the body. Any fat body can learn how to spin a bowling ball and be good.
As someone who bowled competitively as a kid, quite simply you are wrong. Like pitching, there is very little physical strain and any fat body can learn to throw. It is a physical skill, like darts or billiards. Like any other sport, you can hone your physical ability in it. If you couldn't there wouldn't be a world champion in any of those sports because average Joe sitting next to you would be your equal. There is a physical skill to bowling.

Quite simply, bowling perfectly meets the criteria of a sport and if you don't think it is a physical activity then I really don't know what to think to be honest.

Hawk 12-06-2011 06:35 AM

With all that Hardee's I just ate I think I might make pooping a sport.

Caddy 12-06-2011 07:11 AM

I often engage in Boomerang throwing.



Me on the right.

wogitalia 12-06-2011 08:21 AM

Nice face paint, what tribe do you belong to Caddysaurus?

Boomerangs are kind of awesome I will add.

CashmoneyDrew 12-06-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 2777986)
I often engage in Boomerang throwing.



Me on the right.

My right, or stage right?

diabsoule 12-06-2011 10:54 AM

Poker and the Spelling Bee.

If it's on ESPN it has to be a sport, right?

By the way, you forgot archery.

The_Dude 12-06-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 2777950)
Boxing has judges, and it is definitely a sport.

A few more to add:

Speedskating
Cycling
Wiffleball
Frisbee Golf
Racquetball
TENNIS - theres the obvious one I missed
Polo
Lacrosse

Uh, we Disc Golf Athletes prefer that it be called "Disc Golf".....

actually, a guy on my local disc golf course was preaching about how the idea was originally floated to the frisbee company, but they said that it was a stoopid idea & passed on it. therefore he claimed that we should not call it "frisbee".

whatever, i still just ask my buddies if they want to go play "frisbee".

And disc golf is most definately a sport.

I would like fishing to also be considered a sport, but i understand that it really is iffy at best.

kalbears13 12-06-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 2777950)
Boxing has judges, and it is definitely a sport.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 2777953)
MMA also has judges and I would certainly call it a sport but that means I have to also include Gymnastics and Ice Dancing

Fighting is tough because you can win by knockout where the judges have no say but then you can win where the judges decide. I'm not sure to go with that one or how to define it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetSox17 (Post 2777955)
stock car racing is a sport. it is physically exhausting, and a lot of the strategy behind it is having the team that is the quickest, most efficient and most skilled of others, coupled with the driver's racing abilities.

I just think it's hard to call it a sport when you're driving a car. In your description you could also call giving birth a sport.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.