Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Underclassmen That Should Stay in School (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50001)

Frylock 12-10-2011 02:20 PM

Underclassmen That Should Stay in School
 
I'm really interested in prospects people think should give college another year. I remember a guy named Donovan Warren who was a cornerback for Michigan that I thought jumped the gun a little early. However, after seeing some mock drafts that year withy him going in the second round I dismissed it. Eventually, he went undrafted but signed with the Jets as a rookie free agent. He didn't make the squad and now I think he is out of football. So, the lesson children is plainly this: don't declare for the draft unless your full heart is in it and be ready to pay for play.

Annyway, here are my top 5 guys that can come out this year but I feel wouldn't hurt themsleves by staying an extra year:

RB Kniles Davis- Normally I'd never say a running back should stay an extra year. However, I think Davis would really benefit going into next years draft with a clean bill of health. C.J. Spiller went in the top ten after returning for his seinor year so its been done before

QB Tyler Wilson- If he comes out he won't even be in the top five QB's selected (Luck, Barkley, RG III, Jones, Tannehill). If he stays he'll compete with Tyler Bray in being top QB selected.

WR Stephen Hill- I know he is in an option offense but he only caught 25 balls this year. If he declares he'll get drafted for his triangle numbers and what he does at the combine. I really think he should come back, try and double his numbers (only 4 TD's as well), and come out in 2013.

Xavier Rhodes- Rhodes is a redshirt sophmore so technically he can declare. However, I think he'd be a sure fire first round pick next year instead of a late second this year.

D.J. Fluker- I've actually seen him some mocks as a first round pick. Still, I'm a little concerned about his weight only because Andre Smith balloned up to 360 after he was drafted (is he still with the Bengals?)and even Marcel Dareus was considered top heavy (he seems be doing well for himself however in Buffalo).

shylo3716 12-10-2011 02:21 PM

Add Stephon Gilmore! Dude was so on a milk carton this year.

RaiderNation 12-10-2011 02:39 PM

My top guys would probably be QB Tyler Wilson and WR Alshon Jeffery. Wilson has the tools to be a top 5 pick, but he needs more experience and time for him to grow into the prospect that some think he can be. Jeffery was a top 10 prospect coming into the year, but bad QB play and speed concerns have pushed him into the 11-25 range.

Halsey 12-10-2011 02:39 PM

Aaron Murray should stay an extra two years.

TACKLE 12-10-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 2782772)
My top guys would probably be QB Tyler Wilson and WR Alshon Jeffery. Wilson has the tools to be a top 5 pick, but he needs more experience and time for him to grow into the prospect that some think he can be. Jeffery was a top 10 prospect coming into the year, but bad QB play and speed concerns have pushed him into the 11-25 range.

Bad QB play isn't going away. Connor Shaw will be the starter next year again.

Frylock 12-10-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 2782772)
My top guys would probably be QB Tyler Wilson and WR Alshon Jeffery. Wilson has the tools to be a top 5 pick, but he needs more experience and time for him to grow into the prospect that some think he can be. Jeffery was a top 10 prospect coming into the year, but bad QB play and speed concerns have pushed him into the 11-25 range.

I have to agree with TACKLE. Jeffery is one of only three wide recievers I see going in the first round (the others being Blackmon and Floyd). Jeffery can cement his status as top ten pick with a good combine and pro day.

Scott Wright 12-11-2011 05:24 AM

I think Oklahoma QB Landry Jones should stay in school.

Could be the fourth quarterback selected this year but the top overall pick next year.

phlysac 12-11-2011 09:03 AM

Ray Graham

Matthew Jones 12-11-2011 09:20 AM

A few guys who have a lot to gain by returning to school:

QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama

DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.

DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina

SS Ray-Ray Armstrong, Miami (FL)

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 12-11-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2783320)
I think Oklahoma QB Landry Jones should stay in school.

Could be the fourth quarterback selected this year but the top overall pick next year.

Why? Landry Jones is just no a very good quarterback.

shylo3716 12-11-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 2783430)
Why? Landry Jones is just no a very good quarterback.

I still don't think he is going to be the #1 QB off the board in 2013. He has to fight off guys like Bray, Glennon, & Wilson.

Sloopy 12-11-2011 12:02 PM

I'm going to throw Barkley's name in here, He could very well be the #2 QB this year but Griffin is challenging and the guy could be the #1 next year and you can't discount the fact that USC is bowl eligible next year.

Landry Jones should get out now before he hurts his stock any further and guys like Tyler Wilson gain momentum over him, especially if Barkley stays.

shylo3716 12-11-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2783320)
I think Oklahoma QB Landry Jones should stay in school.

Could be the fourth quarterback selected this year but the top overall pick next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2783454)
I still don't think he is going to be the #1 QB off the board in 2013. He has to fight off guys like Bray, Glennon, & Wilson.

How much of a hit do you think his stock can take with the deciding factors above I've stated? Keep in mind it's not like he is Jake Locker.

Frylock 12-11-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy (Post 2783365)
A few guys who have a lot to gain by returning to school:

QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama

DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.

DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina

SS Ray-Ray Armstrong, Miami (FL)

I understand Wilson and Fluker of course and I guess i can understand Taylor. But your going to have to explain to me about Jeffery, Worthy, and Armstrong.

Would most people agree with me if you were among the top five at your position in the draft or projected to go in the Top 100 (in other words between the first and mid fourth) then it's worth coming out ?

ChiFan24 12-11-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2783320)
I think Oklahoma QB Landry Jones should stay in school.

Could be the fourth quarterback selected this year but the top overall pick next year.

Sometimes I don't understand you when it comes to QB's, Scott.

DeepThreat 12-11-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2783700)
Sometimes I don't understand you when it comes to QB's, Scott.

Neither do I, but I agree with him here. Landry is, at best, the No. 4 QB this year. He needs another year.

shylo3716 12-11-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepThreat (Post 2783743)
Neither do I, but I agree with him here. Landry is, at best, the No. 4 QB this year. He needs another year.

It does not matter where he goes as long as he is drafted in the 1st. Look at a guy like Ponder who 90% of the people on the forum "knew" he would be a 2nd Rounder.

He needs to come out now before he becomes irrelevant next year. Dude is not Jake Locker by all means in the aspect of being a specimen at the QB position.

Matthew Jones 12-11-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frylock (Post 2783690)
I understand Wilson and Fluker of course and I guess i can understand Taylor. But your going to have to explain to me about Jeffery, Worthy, and Armstrong.

Would most people agree with me if you were among the top five at your position in the draft or projected to go in the Top 100 (in other words between the first and mid fourth) then it's worth coming out ?

Jeffery and Worthy came into this draft considered to be top ten locks and could end up in the top ten if they return and play like they should have this year; Jeffery has been out of shape and Worthy is being hurt by a string of minor injuries and a lack of a team need. Ray-Ray Armstrong was considered a first-rounder but is probably a third-rounder now; he takes poor angles to the football and blows coverages way more regularly than he should. None of those three players have raised their stock anywhere near a peak.

shylo3716 12-11-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy (Post 2783922)
Jeffery and Worthy came into this draft considered to be top ten locks and could end up in the top ten if they return and play like they should have this year; Jeffery has been out of shape and Worthy is being hurt by a string of minor injuries and a lack of a team need. Ray-Ray Armstrong was considered a first-rounder but is probably a third-rounder now; he takes poor angles to the football and blows coverages way more regularly than he should. None of those three players have raised their stock anywhere near a peak.

I don't care if he has 5 picks next year he still will not go in the 1st. Might as well come out. Never was or will be an elite prospect.

ChiFan24 12-11-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepThreat (Post 2783743)
Neither do I, but I agree with him here. Landry is, at best, the No. 4 QB this year. He needs another year.

No, I don't understand how he thinks Landry Jones is a remotely good QB.

Bulldogs 12-11-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2782766)
Add Stephon Gilmore! Dude was so on a milk carton this year.

What is it with you and milk cartons?

shylo3716 12-11-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogs (Post 2784395)
What is it with you and milk cartons?

No further questions!

BuddyCHRIST 12-11-2011 08:17 PM

Tyler Wilson is an obvious one for me, if he has another good year in the SEC he'll be highly valued as he has all the tools and mechanics.

Xavier Rhodes should definitely come back as well as he wasn't playing as well to start the year and will be able to distinguish himself more next year on what should be a stacked FSU defense.

TACKLE 12-11-2011 08:53 PM

Devon Taylor comes to mind. The guy just needs to go back and get stronger and fill out a bit.

SchizophrenicBatman 12-11-2011 09:05 PM

Landry Jones needs to come out now before his stock tanks even more. You always hear in baseball about not trading a guy when his stock is at it's lowest. Well, it's not ideal to do that but it's a hell of a lot better to do it then than it is to keep waiting until he has NO stock at all.

Not sure how Jones is going to be the #1 QB when Blake Bell is going to Tebow his ass even more often next season


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.