Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Meet-Up in Mobile! (For Anyone!) (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50080)

Shane P. Hallam 12-13-2011 08:28 PM

Meet-Up in Mobile! (For Anyone!)

Something I talked about for awhile was having an "NFL Draft Con" and bringing aboard people from the forum to meet up, talk football, do mocks, etc. It is still something I'd love to do later in my life and organize, but it is a big undertaking, so we will do a Meet-up instead and if successful, something we can do each year (so even if you can't go this year, save up some cash and come down next year).

Date: January 22nd 2012

Time: 3:00 PM EST-? (2:00 PM Central, Mobile Time) to watch the Conference Championship games

Place: Mobile, Alabama at the Renaissance Riverview Plaza Hotel downstairs bar (attached to the Mobile Convention Center)

Who: You! Not only can you come meet myself and Scott, but other draftniks from around the internet will be there and the players will have arrived for the Senior Bowl, so you may get to see some of them too!

If interested, post here. I will gather up some tables if we have some interest and pass this along to other people who may pop by at our table. Diabsoule came down last year and I think he had a good time, he can tell you about it.

If you come down and want to stay in Mobile for some of the festivities or overnight, lots of hotels available and places within walking distance even (but may get eaten up fast!)
http://www.seniorbowl.com/pdf/lodginginfo.pdf

Here is a map of the area and how to get to the hotel:
http://www.seniorbowl.com/pdf/2012SENIORBOWLMAP.pdf

Let me know any questions you have, but I'd love to make this a yearly thing and start to get to put some faces to the names!

Damix 12-14-2011 09:19 AM

Unfortunately I will not be able to get down to Alabama, if you ever have anything near me there though, I'll be there!

holt_bruce81 12-14-2011 04:23 PM

I can't this year, no way of getting down there, money is pretty tight right now.

Just going to wait till next year so Me, Shane and Tyrann Mathieu can talk about how awesome May 13th is.

Caddy 12-14-2011 07:54 PM

I'm so in!!!

bantx 12-15-2011 01:26 PM

2012 NFL Draft Vegas; lets do this!

Abaddon 12-15-2011 05:06 PM

I keep saying I'm gonna drive the 90 minutes to Mobile and check this out, and I always manage to put myself in a position where I can't. Maybe this year...

Rob S 12-15-2011 11:11 PM

I may actually make the road trip down if some NFLDCers will be around. Can we watch practices and stuff?

GaMeTiMe 12-16-2011 09:03 AM

But, then I wouldn't be able to hide my social anxiety and awkwardness behind a computer monitor!

Shane P. Hallam 12-16-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob S (Post 2790499)
I may actually make the road trip down if some NFLDCers will be around. Can we watch practices and stuff?

Yup, it is relatively open to the public. Also Scott and I may need some help with transcriptions and stuff if anyone will be around that week.

49erNation85 12-16-2011 03:21 PM

I've always wanted to go but always so far away in the south west. Sadly I won't be able to watch coverage this spring no cable and crappy wifi oh well. More fun in Arizona to be had then football ...

Halsey 12-16-2011 11:47 PM

I'm seriously thinking of coming. Great idea!

diabsoule 12-17-2011 11:29 AM

I went last year and hung out with Scott and Shane and had a great time. I'm definitely trying to get everything together to make the 3 hour trip this year. Hope we can have several people meet up from the forums, which would be great.

Rabscuttle 12-18-2011 03:46 PM

Are golf courses open/in decent shape down there in January?

Scott Wright 12-18-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabscuttle (Post 2792845)
Are golf courses open/in decent shape down there in January?

I've never had time to hit the links during Senior Bowl week, but based on the climate in Mobile that time of the year I'd say it's probably about average for golf, at best.

Brothgar 12-18-2011 05:56 PM

I wish to do this now can I actually find a way to get all the way to Alabama.

Rabscuttle 12-18-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2793125)
I've never had time to hit the links during Senior Bowl week, but based on the climate in Mobile that time of the year I'd say it's probably about average for golf, at best.

Thanks, above freezing would probably work for me since our courses have been closed for months, airfare is pretty high for me a month after Christmas though.

bored of education 12-19-2011 03:14 PM

any 'adult' entertainment besides hooters?

Rob S 12-20-2011 09:40 PM

So, is anyone doing this outside of Shane, Scott, and Diab?

Shane P. Hallam 12-20-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob S (Post 2796290)
So, is anyone doing this outside of Shane, Scott, and Diab?

BOE may be coming if he gets off work, hopefully I can convince broth to find his way down here!

Rob S 12-20-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 2796294)
BOE may be coming if he gets off work, hopefully I can convince broth to find his way down here!

GEtting off my GA wont be an issue; I have a bunch of free time saved up. School starts the previous week for me, but I may just skip the first couple of classes. I pretty much have a job tied up and the first week of classes is always BS. Seeing as its grad school, I can just tell them I was traveling for business......I guess thats kind of true if I stretch it a tremendous amount haha.

Shane P. Hallam 12-21-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob S (Post 2796301)
GEtting off my GA wont be an issue; I have a bunch of free time saved up. School starts the previous week for me, but I may just skip the first couple of classes. I pretty much have a job tied up and the first week of classes is always BS. Seeing as its grad school, I can just tell them I was traveling for business......I guess thats kind of true if I stretch it a tremendous amount haha.

Sweet! And let me know if you come and Halsey as well if you end up coming in! If you will be around that week and want to help out with some stuff for the site, I will talk to Scott as I know we will need some transcribing help and editing/layout help perhaps if anyone is interested!

Bosanac01 12-23-2011 01:08 AM

If Boe comes then for sure I'll be there.

kalbears13 12-24-2011 02:41 AM

I would totally want to go to Mobile, Alabama except that would mean I would be going to Mobile, Alabama.

Brothgar 12-24-2011 02:33 PM

What are the requirements to get into the practices?

Shane P. Hallam 12-24-2011 02:33 PM

None to watch! They are open to the public.