Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Vikings and Redskins to Coach the Senior Bowl (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50406)

AlexDunlap 01-04-2012 04:35 PM

Vikings and Redskins to Coach the Senior Bowl

No official announcement has been made regarding Senior Bowl NFL Coaching Staffs as assigned by the National Football League, but sources close to the team feel that it is a foregone conclusion that Leslie Frazier will take his soon-to-be-reassembled Vikings staff to Mobile, AL at the end of the month to coach one of the All-Star squads.

This should put any shuffling of position coaches and new coordinators into immediate focus. The stand-out candidates for getting canned are DC Fred Pagac and DL Coach Karl Dunbar, who has already told certain players he will not be returning. Assistant HC/LBs Mike Singletary is a close friend of Frazier, but has acted in a very non-Mike-Singletary manner this season, consistently missing meetings and shirking responsibility. I do not think he will be a DC candidate, and might be told to get his act together if he wants to keep his current job. Frazier is on a hot-seat himself. Super hot. No favors for friends at this point.

ESPN Twin Cities is reporting that (Frazier) is so convinced (the Vikings will be coaching one of the Senior Bowl Squads) that he asked offensive line coach Jeff Davidson to delay hip-replacement surgery. (Until after the week starting Jan. 23rd)

If this development occurs, it will alter how those in attendance and watching live coverage on NFL Network will prepare to scout the defenders in a number of ways. The first being- we won't really even know what base they'll be running until the decision is made. It is gonna make Senior Bowl week really interesting, if these sources are correct.

ChiFan24 01-04-2012 07:43 PM

Probably Cleveland for the other squad, no?

boknows34 01-04-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2811797)
Probably Cleveland for the other squad, no?

Yes. Almost certain to be Cleveland.

BuckeyeDan17 01-04-2012 08:18 PM

Is it typically the coaching staff of who sucks the most ass or something? Is that why you guys are guessing Cleveland? Because we suck all kinds of ass. Or is there a systematic methodology for the selection?

phlysac 01-04-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDan17 (Post 2811839)
Is it typically the coaching staff of who sucks the most ass or something? Is that why you guys are guessing Cleveland? Because we suck all kinds of ass. Or is there a systematic methodology for the selection?

I believe the Senior Bowl is coached by the teams with the worst records. Two caveats...

1. The Head Coach has to be in place. (Eliminates Indianapolis and St. Louis)
2. The coaching staff has to accept the invite.

PoopSandwich 01-04-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlysac (Post 2811859)
I believe the Senior Bowl is coached by the teams with the worst records. Two caveats...

1. The Head Coach has to be in place. (Eliminates Indianapolis and St. Louis)
2. The coaching staff has to accept the invite.

Plus the Browns have a boat load of picks and would be stupid not to accept the invite.

49erNation85 01-04-2012 08:34 PM

It is too bad they didn't do it by best teams instead of the worse. Would be much better week I dunno. Just talking crap ha.

robert pancake gallery 01-04-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 2811865)
It is too bad they didn't do it by best teams instead of the worse. Would be much better week I dunno. Just talking crap ha.

i think you are onto something here, nobody wants to see young players tainted by the vikings coaching staff

ChiFan24 01-04-2012 09:09 PM

Indy is still a possibility for the other squad, but Caldwell may or may not be fired, and they're taking Luck anyway, so it seems like a waste of time that can be better spent evaluating their own crappy roster.

Mufasa 01-04-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2811908)
Indy is still a possibility for the other squad, but Caldwell may or may not be fired, and they're taking Luck anyway, so it seems like a waste of time that can be better spent evaluating their own crappy roster.

The Senior Bowl is more for the later rounds anyway. Usually only around 10 of the players in the game go first round.

boknows34 01-07-2012 05:45 PM

Minnesota and Washington coaching staffs have been confirmed.

https://twitter.com/#!/seniorbowl/st...63134492184576

PossibleCabbage 01-07-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boknows34 (Post 2814614)
Minnesota and Washington coaching staffs have been confirmed.

https://twitter.com/#!/seniorbowl/st...63134492184576

I wonder why Washington is the second team. The Colts, you pass on because they don't have a GM. The Rams don't have a coaching staff in place, so you pass on them. The Bucs don't have a GM or a Coach at the moment, so they're easy to skip. But what's wrong with Cleveland? They pick ahead of Washington, and have a reasonable stable situation in the front office and the coaching staff.

Do they just invite coaches in the draft order, and whenever they get two to accept those are who gets to coach the Sr. Bowl?

kalbears13 01-07-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 2814739)
I wonder why Washington is the second team. The Colts, you pass on because they don't have a GM. The Rams don't have a coaching staff in place, so you pass on them. The Bucs don't have a GM or a Coach at the moment, so they're easy to skip. But what's wrong with Cleveland? They pick ahead of Washington, and have a reasonable stable situation in the front office and the coaching staff.

Do they just invite coaches in the draft order, and whenever they get two to accept those are who gets to coach the Sr. Bowl?

Yea, I would like to know why Cleveland isn't there. I've been looking around but haven't found anything. It would have been nice for them to be there.

phlysac 01-07-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert pancake gallery (Post 2811870)
i think you are onto something here, nobody wants to see young players tainted by the vikings coaching staff

True. Mike Singletary (as LB coach under Mike Nolan) spent an entire week coaching Patrick Willis at the Senior Bowl. He told former GM Scot McCloughan he didn't like him.

The brilliance that is... Coach Sing.

Spectre 01-07-2012 07:27 PM

The Browns declined because they want Shanahan to fall in love with Tannehill so he doesn't trade up for Griffin. ;)

Shane P. Hallam 01-07-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

First, the NFL sends out coaching staff invites, so they don't exactly release how they do it, but it is usually the order of the draft.

Reason for Cleveland could be that they will be hiring an O-coordinator right around the time of the game I imagine, may be tweaking offense as well.

phlysac 01-07-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

I truly believe that is, indeed, how it's set up.

PoopSandwich 01-07-2012 08:44 PM

If the Browns coached a team they would all be busts or get injured... :[

kalbears13 01-07-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinslowBodden (Post 2815059)
If the Browns coached a team they would all be busts or get injured... :[

"Alright DB's you guys go to blown-coverage drills, linebackers go to missed-tackle drills, and defensive linemen go to offsides-on-4th-&-short-with-less-than-two-minutes-left drills. Offensive line, you guys practice moving before the ball is snapped and not moving after its snapped; tight ends and wide receivers practice getting completely blanketed on your routes; and quarterbacks practice throwing into triple coverage. If you don't want to do any of this because you don't like how much you're getting paid just say you're on a video game and make up an injury or illness."

Brent 01-07-2012 09:33 PM

so... Tannehill to the Redskins?

descendency 01-07-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mufasa (Post 2811924)
The Senior Bowl is more for the later rounds anyway. Usually only around 10 of the players in the game go first round.

Only 32 players go in round 1. Plus, most of those are late 1st round guys, so a guy who might be around if you want to trade back into the first...

I think it gives a coaching staff an advantage to get to know a guy, see how he plays, and make an evaluation most coaches can't.

I definitely think it's a good thing for bad teams to get it.

The game is basically a high school game anyways (in terms of the plays you can call), so there really isn't any "corruption".

Granted, I'd love to see Bill Belichick at one just for laughs.

Shane P. Hallam 01-07-2012 10:13 PM

Redskins took 6 guys last year who were at the Senior Bowl. I'm sure they love getting the shot this year.

Bengals fell in love with Dalton at the Senior Bowl last year too, even with him being on the other team.

PossibleCabbage 01-07-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 2815293)
Redskins took 6 guys last year who were at the Senior Bowl. I'm sure they love getting the shot this year.

Bengals fell in love with Dalton at the Senior Bowl last year too, even with him being on the other team.

What sort of access do the teams who aren't coaching either side get to the players at the Senior Bowl? I assume they can attend practice, talk to them as much as they want, but not put them through drills, workouts, etc?