Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   "Coach_____! Grant me my release" (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50494)

shylo3716 01-10-2012 03:22 PM

"Coach_____! Grant me my release"

I am fully aware that there is already a Transfer Thread, but I did not want to override that thread with opinions versus facts.

I would like to know which guys do you think need to transfer before it is too late and which non-conference program do you feel would best suit them.

My #1 guy is Phillip Sims RS Fr. QB Alabama

My personal views on Sims, is that he is wasting his time in Tuscaloosa, only to have 1 full season under his belt as a starter if AJ McCarron stays until his senior year.

Coming out of the HS ranks, Sims was rated as the #1 pro-style QB in the country, depending on which source you prefer. Throughout the recruiting process, Nick Saban locked up Phillip, with a sales pitch of an "opportunity to play". This year Phillip got his "opportunity" through Spring ball and the season opener, which is where he lost the job by throwing 7/14 73yds with 2 interceptions.

So what, Sims now has a Nat'l title under his belt as a backup! I would like to know how does he think, he will become a NFL prospect in 1 full season of action. The type of caliber player he is, he will command the playing time he is seeking elsewhere.

Next destination... UVA once he says "Coach Saban! Grant me my release"

jrdrylie 01-10-2012 05:21 PM

I'd say Jeff Driskell from Florida. I think Jacoby Brissett will win the QB job next year. If he does, Driskell will just be a backup. I'm not sure where he would go. He took visits to Auburn and Virginia Tech. I don't think Florida would let Driskell go to Auburn and I don't know if Virginia Tech is a good fit. UCF would be a good fit because he is from Orlando, but they already have a QB who will be a sophomore next year. I'd go out on a limb and say he goes to Arizona State.

shylo3716 01-10-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2820295)
I'd say Jeff Driskell from Florida. I think Jacoby Brissett will win the QB job next year. If he does, Driskell will just be a backup. I'm not sure where he would go. He took visits to Auburn and Virginia Tech. I don't think Florida would let Driskell go to Auburn and I don't know if Virginia Tech is a good fit. UCF would be a good fit because he is from Orlando, but they already have a QB who will be a sophomore next year. I'd go out on a limb and say he goes to Arizona State.

Would be a tragedy to see the next "Big Thing" go. There were high hopes/expectations this time last year on Driskel.

My main focus right now is Phillip Sims out of any prospect to potentially ask for a release.

49erNation85 01-10-2012 07:37 PM

I dearly hope for god sakes Driskel does't and how would Brisket win the job? He was ok at the end up the season. But personally I think Driskel has the more upside in Florida. Bigger size and arm strength just very young and needs to improve.

shylo3716 01-10-2012 07:43 PM

Any other guys to be on the lookout for?

draftguru151 01-10-2012 11:31 PM

Weis liked Brissett a ton more than Driskell but who knows about the next coach. I'd expect Brissett to win the job though because Driskell makes Tebow look like a genius.

sbh15 01-11-2012 12:45 AM

part of the reason jacoby was getting all the action with brantley out is because he was weis' guy. driskel still is very much neck and neck for the qb job next season.

SickwithIt1010 01-11-2012 01:11 AM

Jesse Scroggins

jrdrylie 01-11-2012 09:29 AM

I could also see James Wilder RB from FSU transfer. He came to the Seminoles much more highly regarded than Devonta Freeman. Freeman became a star, the first FSU running back to go over 1000 yards since Warrick Dunn. Wilder got 70 carries. Florida State tends to split carries, but I bet Wilder wants to be a star somewhere.

Where does he go? Well Florida was his second choice, but no way does FSU allow him to go there. Georgia? Probably not because he would run into a similar issue there. I like his fit in South Carolina and Auburn. Lattimore will be gone after this year (Dwyer at Auburn is already gone). I like the fit at South Carolina a little more because I think it fits his style of play better.

shylo3716 01-11-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2821012)
I could also see James Wilder RB from FSU transfer. He came to the Seminoles much more highly regarded than Devonta Freeman. Freeman became a star, the first FSU running back to go over 1000 yards since Warrick Dunn. Wilder got 70 carries. Florida State tends to split carries, but I bet Wilder wants to be a star somewhere.

Where does he go? Well Florida was his second choice, but no way does FSU allow him to go there. Georgia? Probably not because he would run into a similar issue there. I like his fit in South Carolina and Auburn. Lattimore will be gone after this year (Dwyer at Auburn is already gone). I like the fit at South Carolina a little more because I think it fits his style of play better.

I like your thought process to Auburn

draftguru151 01-11-2012 05:03 PM

Wilder just needs to move to LB and stop being an idiot. Everyone and their mother knew Freeman was the better RB after their senior seasons.

Complex 01-11-2012 05:07 PM

Yup, I been thinking the same thing since he committed to FSU.

jrdrylie 01-11-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 2821514)
Wilder just needs to move to LB and stop being an idiot. Everyone and their mother knew Freeman was the better RB after their senior seasons.

I don't think that is going to happen. This situation reminds me off the Marcus Sims (Ernie Sims' brother) situation. He was a better linebacker than running back (plus the running back situation was pretty full at the time). Still, Sims insisted on playing offense.

shylo3716 01-11-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2821578)
I don't think that is going to happen. This situation reminds me off the Marcus Sims (Ernie Sims' brother) situation. He was a better linebacker than running back (plus the running back situation was pretty full at the time). Still, Sims insisted on playing offense.

Speaking on being stuck on stupid, how has the Kris Frost, WR experiment go this year in Auburn? After all he was only rated the #2 OLB in the Nation.

critesy 01-11-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2821589)
Speaking on being stuck on stupid, how has the Kris Frost, WR experiment go this year in Auburn? After all he was only rated the #2 OLB in the Nation.

he got hurt in pre season workouts and got shoulder surgery. was out for the whole year. he was studying the defensive playbook all year and was helping barking out calls to the field.

critesy 01-11-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2821012)

him transferring to auburn wouldnt be great for RB position either. auburn is still stacked at rb even with dyer leaving.

shylo3716 01-11-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critesy (Post 2821689)
him transferring to auburn wouldnt be great for RB position either. auburn is still stacked at rb even with dyer leaving.

Best fit for Wilder Jr.?

shylo3716 01-11-2012 07:28 PM

Since we only have a select few of prospects to make the list, I would like to know which programs are the best non-conference fits for each.

Phillip Sims-
Jeff Driskel-
Jesse Scroggins-
James Wilder Jr.-

SickwithIt1010 01-11-2012 07:33 PM

I could see Scroggins going somewhere like Tennesee or San Diego State. SDSU seems to be reaping all the benefits of our guys transferring.

critesy 01-11-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2821692)
Best fit for Wilder Jr.?

i dunno.. south florida maybe?

CashmoneyDrew 01-11-2012 07:57 PM

I don't see Tennessee as even a remote option for Scroggins.

SickwithIt1010 01-11-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew (Post 2821736)
I don't see Tennessee as even a remote option for Scroggins.

High on his list out of high school...

CashmoneyDrew 01-11-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 2821743)
High on his list out of high school...

That was when we were desperate for QBs. Now we have Bray and Worley with Peterman coming in. Plus Kiffin was the one recruiting him to UT. Wouldn't even be an option for him.

sbh15 01-11-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 2821514)

he's never going to realize it and he's wasting his talent at rb. the fact that he was still in rivals' top 50 after committing to rb only was honestly surprising to me

shylo3716 01-11-2012 08:41 PM

Do you guys not have any opinions on Sims situation? This is all I could get out of Scott....

"Hey,

Sorry but I didn't get this message until after the podcast.

I can't really comment on Sims anyway since I haven't seen him play. However, I agree that he may need to get out of Bama for an opportunity. It's going to be hard to unseat a National Champ like McCarron, who still has two more years of eligibility."-Scott Wright