Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Preview of 2012 Season (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50507)

jrdrylie 01-11-2012 09:44 AM

Preview of 2012 Season

The 2011 season just ended, but it's never too early to start looking ahead to next year. What I wanted to do with this thread is give our initial rankings, National Title Predictions, and Heisman predictions. And also criticize each other for being idiots.

1. USC
2. Georgia
3. LSU
4. Oregon
5. Oklahoma
6. South Carolina
7. Alabama
8. Arkansas
9. West Virginia
10. TCU
11. Clemson
12. Florida State
13. Wisconsin
14. Nebraska
15. Kansas State
16. Michigan
17. Virginia Tech
18. Ohio State
19. Boise State
20. Oklahoma State
21. Rutgers
22. Utah
23. Louisviile
24. Missouri
25. Auburn

BCS National Championship: USC vs. Georgia
Sugar Bowl: South Carolina vs. Rutgers
Orange Bowl: Clemson vs. Michigan
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Florida State
Rose Bowl: Oregon vs. Wisconsin

Heisman Finalists
1. Tajh Boyd
2. Matt Barkley
3. Aaron Murray
4. Braxton Miller
5. DeAnthony Thomas

Giantsfan1080 01-11-2012 09:51 AM

I like the Rutgers love!!! Anything less than 10 wins for us next year is a dissapointment with our creampuff schedule. I guess you think WVU will play a Big East schedule next year?

jrdrylie 01-11-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 2821037)
I like the Rutgers love!!! Anything less than 10 wins for us next year is a dissapointment with our creampuff schedule. I guess you think WVU will play a Big East schedule next year?

Are they not? I thought the Big East was forcing them to stay this next year. If not, that changes some things.

Sloopy 01-11-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2821029)
The 2011 season just ended, but it's never too early to start looking ahead to next year. What I wanted to do with this thread is give our initial rankings, National Title Predictions, and Heisman predictions. And also criticize each other for being idiots.

1. USC
2. Georgia
3. LSU
4. Oregon
5. Oklahoma
6. South Carolina
7. Alabama
8. Arkansas
9. West Virginia
10. TCU
11. Clemson
12. Florida State
13. Wisconsin
14. Nebraska
15. Kansas State
16. Michigan
17. Virginia Tech
18. Ohio State
19. Boise State
20. Oklahoma State
21. Rutgers
22. Utah
23. Louisviile
24. Missouri
25. Auburn

BCS National Championship: USC vs. Georgia
Sugar Bowl: South Carolina vs. West Virginia
Orange Bowl: Clemson vs. Michigan
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Florida State
Rose Bowl: Oregon vs. Wisconsin

Heisman Finalists
1. Tajh Boyd
2. Matt Barkley
3. Aaron Murray
4. Braxton Miller
5. DeAnthony Thomas

Awesome job sir. Good job recognizing the talent at OSU that with some coaching should do well and Braxton Miller will indeed be a future heisman finalist.

Giantsfan1080 01-11-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2821042)
Are they not? I thought the Big East was forcing them to stay this next year. If not, that changes some things.

It's still up in the air because of the dueling lawsuits. Big 12 released a schedule with WVU in it though. Also, WVU is trying to get out of there game with Florida State because a Big 12 schedule is tougher.

jrdrylie 01-11-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia (Post 2821047)
Awesome job sir. Good job recognizing the talent at OSU that with some coaching should do well and Braxton Miller will indeed be a future heisman finalist.

I think Urban Meyer and Braxton Miller are going to use this season as a stepping stone. They can't win the Big 10, but they will definitely be near the top of their division. And Braxton Miller should have a big year in a system that really fits him. In 2013, they should open up in the top five and have Braxton as a Heisman favorite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 2821048)
It's still up in the air because of the dueling lawsuits. Big 12 released a schedule with WVU in it though. Also, WVU is trying to get out of there game with Florida State because a Big 12 schedule is tougher.

Ehh, after reading a bit more, it looks like West Virginia will be playing in the Big 12. I guess I'll have to make the change.

DrAbaddon 01-14-2012 01:05 AM

Love the list...but as an OU fanboy I have to say I don't think it's possible they are in the top 5 at the end of next year. They haven't had the elite signings of the rest of the top programs and Landry really showed his ass last year when Broyles went down. The D should be nice, however.

Iamcanadian 01-14-2012 09:46 AM

You cannot have 5 SEC teams in the top 10, it is basically impossible after they play each other. The best you can get is 3 teams and even that is very difficult after they lose to the better SEC teams.
The SEC will have a huge # of good teams next year as most have their QB's and a high # of starters returning. Because there are so many good teams, they are going to beat up on each other and make it hard to keep a top 10 ranking.
LSU is going to have a tough time replacing their starters so #3 doesn't look likely and what makes Georgia look better than Oregon.
Watch out for Florida St., Notre Dame and Ohio St. They could all make quantum leaps up the rankings, IMO.

TheRubberDuck45 01-14-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2824101)
You cannot have 5 SEC teams in the top 10, it is basically impossible after they play each other. The best you can get is 3 teams and even that is very difficult after they lose to the better SEC teams.
The SEC will have a huge # of good teams next year as most have their QB's and a high # of starters returning. Because there are so many good teams, they are going to beat up on each other and make it hard to keep a top 10 ranking.
LSU is going to have a tough time replacing their starters so #3 doesn't look likely and what makes Georgia look better than Oregon.
Watch out for Florida St., Notre Dame and Ohio St. They could all make quantum leaps up the rankings, IMO.

Im pretty sure georgia and south carolina miss alabama and lsu next year. They play each other of course but I think its possible.

jrdrylie 01-14-2012 11:00 AM

The SEC had four teams in the top ten this year. They would have had five if Georgia had won their bowl game. It is very possible.

Smooth Criminal 01-14-2012 11:02 AM

I agree with where you have OSU finishing, but if Braxton plays well enough to be a Heisman finalist as you said, I think OSU would definitely had to have beaten Michigan and probably made a BCS bowl.

Sloopy 01-14-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 2824150)
I agree with where you have OSU finishing, but if Braxton plays well enough to be a Heisman finalist as you said, I think OSU would definitely had to have beaten Michigan and probably made a BCS bowl.

We can't go to a bowl sir :P

sbh15 01-14-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2824101)

if they are pre-season rankings then you absolutely can

MassNole 01-31-2012 01:48 PM

Clemson will have some serious regression next year as they lose a lot on the OL and DL. And if they have a Heisman winner, it's Sammy Watkins, not Tahj Boyd.

hz714 02-06-2012 02:37 AM

TCU