Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Florida RB Jeff Demps Gives Up Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50528)

Shane P. Hallam 01-12-2012 12:43 PM

Florida RB Jeff Demps Gives Up Football
 
He is training for the Olympics for Track instead.

www.twitter.com/pat_dooley

HeavyLeggedWaistBender 01-12-2012 12:45 PM

Wow. Not quite a huge blow so I'm happy for him. It's probably a much better decision for him.

DraftSavant 01-12-2012 12:48 PM

Couldn't stay healthy in college, so probably the right decision.

Complex 01-12-2012 12:51 PM

I wanted him to run the 40.

SuperPacker 01-12-2012 02:00 PM

Wow this is crazy! I thought he was gonna be a good player in the NFL, dont know how much athletes get paid but it cant be the say amount as football players.

DBNYDP 01-12-2012 02:32 PM

He won't get paid as much as football but I think his future is more stable as a track runner. I think he realized that his athletic talent only translates so much on the field and that if he ever loses that speed due to an injury which is possible since he has been somewhat prone in college than he is screwed.

SuperPacker 01-12-2012 03:06 PM

How fast is he anyway? Is he a London 2012 mens 100m finalist or is he not even fast enough to qualify? Compared to football players hes the fastest i've seen but i dont know how that compares to pro sprinters.

boknows34 01-12-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2822641)
How fast is he anyway? Is he a London 2012 mens 100m finalist or is he not even fast enough to qualify? Compared to football players hes the fastest i've seen but i dont know how that compares to pro sprinters.

Demps equaled the world junior 100m record with a 10.01 at the 2008 Olympic trials while still in high school. He ran a 9.96 (2.4m/s) last year that was just over the legal mark (2.0m/s) for wind-assistance. Demps is certainly a candidate at least to make the relay team now that he can concentrate fully on track.

SuperPacker 01-12-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boknows34 (Post 2822678)
Demps equaled the world junior 100m record with a 10.01 at the 2008 Olympic trials while still in high school. He ran a 9.96 (2.4m/s) last year that was just over the legal mark (2.0m/s) for wind-assistance. Demps is certainly a candidate at least to make the relay team now that he can concentrate fully on track.

Oh s***! Thats fast! I wonder what his 40 time would of been.

shylo3716 01-12-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boknows34 (Post 2822678)
Demps equaled the world junior 100m record with a 10.01 at the 2008 Olympic trials while still in high school. He ran a 9.96 (2.4m/s) last year that was just over the legal mark (2.0m/s) for wind-assistance. Demps is certainly a candidate at least to make the relay team now that he can concentrate fully on track.

The Bolt will still smoke his boots!

Scott Wright 01-12-2012 04:27 PM

Too bad, I really liked Demps.

I guess that explains why he wasn't on the Senior Bowl invite list though.

boknows34 01-12-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2822738)
The Bolt will still smoke his boots!


Tyson G ay and Walter Dix will almost certainly take 2 of the 3 spots on the US team so the relay is really Demps' best chance. Bolt better get his act together in 2012 because a fit G ay and Yohan Blake could beat him if he continues to be sloppy with his approach and doesn't take things 100% seriously.

49erNation85 01-12-2012 06:35 PM

Dam that really sucks he could have been a great Return guy or HB even in the right system. Either he will be in history books. Was hoping he would of landed in SF. More class to him going for the Olympics though. Not all about the money.

BuddyCHRIST 01-13-2012 11:40 AM

Never understood the love, he is purely an athlete and leaves alot to be desired as a football player. If your only a spot duty player in college, good luck even making it in the NFL. People don't realize how big a difference there is between guys like Demps and Sproles.

DraftSavant 01-13-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST (Post 2823363)
Never understood the love, he is purely an athlete and leaves alot to be desired as a football player. If your only a spot duty player in college, good luck even making it in the NFL. People don't realize how big a difference there is between guys like Demps and Sproles.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Sproles was a foundation back in college. Had almost 2000 yards rushing his senior season and was a Heisman finalist. He wasn't just some gadget player you ran options, tosses, and jet sweeps to. Dude ran iso, power, counter, zone...everything.

Iamcanadian 01-13-2012 11:42 AM

He'll still get drafted but the rookie salary cap is having its effects and it is going to translate all the way down to high school athletes when they choose their main sport. Football just went to the bottom of the hill.

fear the elf 01-13-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2823368)
He'll still get drafted but the rookie salary cap is having its effects and it is going to translate all the way down to high school athletes when they choose their main sport. Football just went to the bottom of the hill.

PROVE that there is ANY correlation. I'll wait.

killxswitch 01-13-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2823368)
He'll still get drafted but the rookie salary cap is having its effects and it is going to translate all the way down to high school athletes when they choose their main sport. Football just went to the bottom of the hill.

Past the first 10 or so draft picks I didn't think the changes in salary were that big. I doubt the rookie cap has changed many minds. And it's not like that many kids can choose this or that sport to be a pro at. There will always be more people wanting to play NFL ball than there are spots for them.

The NFL has never been the best way to make money in pro sports. That has always and will always be baseball.

Iamcanadian 01-13-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 2823394)
Past the first 10 or so draft picks I didn't think the changes in salary were that big. I doubt the rookie cap has changed many minds. And it's not like that many kids can choose this or that sport to be a pro at. There will always be more people wanting to play NFL ball than there are spots for them.

The NFL has never been the best way to make money in pro sports. That has always and will always be baseball.

Perception counts for a lot and the perception now is that the NFL limits the salary for rookies in a sport where life expectancy is very limited.
Sure, there will always be college football and it will provide players but skill players may decline significantly over the next decade.
True, football was always a poor place to make money compared to baseball and basketball but the NFL hide the perception in announcing large rookie contracts even if the money wasn't all guaranteed, nows it may no longer be able to hide the reality that it is the lowest paid professional sport next to hockey.

the_dark_knight 01-13-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fear the elf (Post 2823388)
PROVE that there is ANY correlation. I'll wait.

There is no *proof* yet but I agree. It's going to have an effect on some dudes, look back at Jeff Samardja picking baseball over football, you know that was about the money, even if he never says it.

DraftSavant 01-13-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2823416)
Perception counts for a lot and the perception now is that the NFL limits the salary for rookies in a sport where life expectancy is very limited.
Sure, there will always be college football and it will provide players but skill players may decline significantly over the next decade.
True, football was always a poor place to make money compared to baseball and basketball but the NFL hide the perception in announcing large rookie contracts even if the money wasn't all guaranteed, nows it may no longer be able to hide the reality that it is the lowest paid professional sport next to hockey.

All football did was get their rookie salary structure on par to what the NBA and MLB were doing.

Look at what the NBA's first overall pick got this year. It's a 5 year deal worth $35 million (years 3-4 are team options and year 5 is a qualifying offer of $10 million, so it's really a 2 year contract worth $11 million). Cam Newton's was a 4 year deal worth $22 million.

MLB farm players basically make caca, correct? I thought most/all were under $1 million per year.

There is NO salary structure in track. It's all performance based by how you do at the circuits and extra money comes from endorsements. Not exactly lucrative unless you are absolutely elite.

Iamcanadian 01-13-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftSavant (Post 2823429)
All football did was get their rookie salary structure on par to what the NBA and MLB were doing.

The trouble is that it doesn't make sense in football with a career length of 3 to 4 years. How much is a RB going to make when his rookie contract is up after 3 seasons? They are practically considered washed up at that point. they are never going to make a whole lot under this rookie system.

Look at what the NBA's first overall pick got this year. It's a 5 year deal worth $35 million (years 3-4 are team options and year 5 is a qualifying offer of $10 million, so it's really a 2 year contract worth $11 million). Cam Newton's was a 4 year deal worth $22 million.

Does anybody really expect this year's top NBA pick to become a star. It was an off year for star quality prospects and even then, their careers for top players is at least a decade. I'd be willing to wait if I had the possibility to make 20+ million for another 5 years. How much is Richardson going to make out of pro football???

MLB farm players basically make caca, correct? I thought most/all were under $1 million per year.

However if they are high picks in the baseball draft, their signing bonus can be huge, softening the blow of having to play in the minors till they prove themselves. Careers are long with again the possibility to get 20+ million if they become stars.

There is NO salary structure in track. It's all performance based by how you do at the circuits and extra money comes from endorsements. Not exactly lucrative unless you are absolutely elite.

Not exactly right, if you are a star, they pay you just to show up, plus the money from performance plus endorsements and nobody weighing 300lbs. is trying to kill you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.