Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Darron Thomas, QB, Oregon (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50563)

Powerhouse22112 01-14-2012 08:49 PM

Darron Thomas, QB, Oregon

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/sto...ly-enter-draft

Very surprising. Thoughts???

Grizzlegom 01-14-2012 09:23 PM

Hearing he was afraid of losing his starting job to Bennett and just decided to declare. Might have to switch positions. Denver should take him late to backup Tebow.

Hurricanes25 01-14-2012 09:28 PM

I would move him to WR but crazier things have happened...

Ozzy 01-14-2012 09:30 PM

Andrew Luck Stanford
Robert Griffin Baylor
Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M
Ryan Lindley San Diego State
Nick Foles Arizona
Brock Osweiler Arizona State
Kirk Cousins Michigan State
Kellen Moore Boise State
Russell Wilson Wisconsin
Brandon Weeden Oklahoma State

How does this man plan to be drafted ahead of all of these players?

Awful choice by Darron Thomas, an average to below average NFL prospect at the very best in my opinion. I am not amazing by anything he does in college so far.

Who knows, but even next year I had him as maybe the 9th best senior prospect. Odd choice, but seriously I would take all of these guys over him as well next year.

Matt Barkley USC
Landry Jones Oklahoma
Tyler Wilson Arkansas
Mike Glennon NC State
Geno Smith West Virginia
EJ Manuel Florida State
BJ Daniels South Florida
Jordan Rodgers Vanderbilt

So maybe he is like what the heck, might as well make some money potentially, should make a roster but doubt he becomes an NFL star or that many teams would be interested in him. We will see what happens.....

TheSlinger 01-14-2012 10:16 PM

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Pat Sims 90 01-14-2012 10:45 PM

He will be a 1st Rounder in the UFL or CFL.

JetMan01 01-14-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 (Post 2825985)
He will be a 1st Rounder in the UFL or CFL.

Win. Thomas should have stayed

ElectricEye 01-14-2012 11:16 PM

If he's smart, he'll sign with an agent who has connections with the CFL. Between how flawed he is as a prospect, the rest of this class, and some character issues, that's the best he can really hope for.

...that's probably where he was headed anyway.

descendency 01-14-2012 11:21 PM

If you are going to lose your job, you should declare. But I think he'd better start prepping for his insurance salesman job.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH 01-15-2012 12:11 AM

Why would he lose his job? He played pretty damn well this year, how is he going to lose his job to a sophomore?

hawkeye123 01-15-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH (Post 2826059)
Why would he lose his job? He played pretty damn well this year, how is he going to lose his job to a sophomore?

Bennett is faster and has a stronger arm then Darron.

SickwithIt1010 01-15-2012 12:25 AM

Very very surprising. He doesnt strike me as much of a pro prospect...but he has really helped get the Oregon program to where they are. Interested to see how this turns out.

Crimson79 01-15-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzlegom (Post 2825785)
Hearing he was afraid of losing his starting job to Bennett and just decided to declare. Might have to switch positions. Denver should take him late to backup Tebow.

That sounds like a load of garbage. A guy doesn't have 63 TDs and 16 ints in two seasons, and get replaced like it was nothing by a back up. He has a Rose bowl win, and came close to a national championship. No, there is more to it than afraid of his back up.

nobodyinparticular 01-15-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson79 (Post 2826085)
That sounds like a load of garbage. A guy doesn't have 63 TDs and 16 ints in two seasons, and get replaced like it was nothing by a back up. He has a Rose bowl win, and came close to a national championship. No, there is more to it than afraid of his back up.

Darron Thomas is actually pretty horrid at throwing the football and Brian Bennett is certainly a much better passer than he is right now. Bennett is also an incredibly athletic QB. There have been whispers throughout the season in Eugene that Bennett was a better QB in all regards but Thomas was just a better leader.

I'm not surprised by this except for the fact Thomas can't throw the ball for crap.

FUNBUNCHER 01-15-2012 12:59 AM

He's a good college QB.

Watching Tebow in the NFL, it's hard for me to poor mouth ANY prospect who looks halfway decent throwing the football.

Right now Thomas looks like a backup at the next level. Maybe he can develop into something.

Crimson79 01-15-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular (Post 2826090)
Darron Thomas is actually pretty horrid at throwing the football and Brian Bennett is certainly a much better passer than he is right now. Bennett is also an incredibly athletic QB. There have been whispers throughout the season in Eugene that Bennett was a better QB in all regards but Thomas was just a better leader.

I'm not surprised by this except for the fact Thomas can't throw the ball for crap.

As a sophomore he finished 17th in the nation in pass efficiency. As a junior he finished 11th in the nation in pass efficiency. He might not be a great passer, but I'd say he is far from horrid.

TheBoyWonder22 01-15-2012 02:46 AM

Have people watched our offense? Our QB's do not translate to the NFL. So much YAC by the Ducks, you just have to be athletic and semi accurate/intelligent and you've got it made.

YoJoeBucsFan 01-15-2012 06:58 AM

I wonder if an NFL team will want him as a WR.

SuperPacker 01-15-2012 08:14 AM

Id rather have Thomas than Kellen Moore.

SchizophrenicBatman 01-15-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson79 (Post 2826085)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Wilson

Babylon 01-15-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2826166)
Id rather have Thomas than Kellen Moore.

Or lethal injection over hanging i guess. Neither of these guys are going anywhere.

Duffman57 01-15-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular (Post 2826090)

Yah, Thomas's throw REALLY needs to be retooled. He's got really bad touch on short/mid routs (it doesn't matter where the receiver is, he throws the ball as hard as he can, it doesn't matter if it's a little 2 yard drag over the middle, he FIRES the ball. And he really has a bad delevery.

But that thing about how he might get replaced is complete BS. One of my friends here is an assistant coach and i was talking to him about this yesterday, and he basically told me that that was COMPLETE horse poopy. His job was NEVER in jeopardy, at all. He was our guy until he graduated.

SolidGold 01-15-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman57 (Post 2826300)
Yah, Thomas's throw REALLY needs to be retooled. He's got really bad touch on short/mid routs (it doesn't matter where the receiver is, he throws the ball as hard as he can, it doesn't matter if it's a little 2 yard drag over the middle, he FIRES the ball. And he really has a bad delevery.

But that thing about how he might get replaced is complete BS. One of my friends here is an assistant coach and i was talking to him about this yesterday, and he basically told me that that was COMPLETE horse poopy. His job was NEVER in jeopardy, at all. He was our guy until he graduated.

Did he give any reason/rationale for the decision? Was it just bad advice from his family/inner-circle? did he get a better than expected projection from the draft advisory board?

PossibleCabbage 01-15-2012 02:11 PM

I just don't see an NFL QB here. Maybe if he looks good in WR drills you consider him on day 3, but that's far from an exact process.

This is a guy who played in a simple offense (which is as unlike an NFL offense as any FBS team's other than GT and Navy), and despite his gaudy statistics he regularly forced targets to adjust to errant passes. The thing that worries me most is that he didn't seem to improve in his second year as a starter, he was actually worse at a lot of things.

You never blame a guy for coming out, since you don't know what his family and economic situation is, but this is a head-scratcher to me.

RaiderNation 01-15-2012 02:19 PM

2% chance he can become anything at QB in the NFL, idk if he even gets drafted at this point