Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Strength of this Draft Crop? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50587)

ChiFan24 01-16-2012 02:50 PM

Strength of this Draft Crop?

Just wondering if anyone else is getting the same impression as me - whereas last year I thought it was a really strong draft class, this seems really weak overall. One elite prospect, a few other surefire top 10 guys in any draft (Kalil, Griffin, Claiborne, maybe Blackmon). After that it really seems to drop off. Seems like a good year to trade current draft picks for future draft picks Belichick style. Anyone else getting this impression?

Mitchell 01-16-2012 02:56 PM

Top 5 picks = Strong.
6 and beyond = Weak.

Matthew Jones 01-16-2012 03:19 PM

Some teams are in pretty good position to get good value on a position that could be upgraded but overall the class is a little bit underwhelming. Outside of the top five the Cowboys, Jets, Bengals, Chargers, Bears, Titans, and Steelers should be able to draft good players though.

SchizophrenicBatman 01-16-2012 03:22 PM

There's still a ton of underclassmen in this crop

The strength of the draft seems to fade quickly but I expect there will be a lot of 2nd and 3rd rounders who blow up in year 2 or 3

Smash28Dash34 01-16-2012 03:23 PM

Agree 100% all the teams in the 7-12 range seem to be in a bad spot. Seems like a lot of project players or high risers from the combine will go there. As a Panthers fan I am praying they somehow trade down from 8 or 9 wherever they end up picking because the value does not match the spot they are drafting.

RaiderNation 01-16-2012 03:26 PM

I like th depth on the interior oline, also the RB position is pretty deep as well. DeCastro, Konz, Glenn and Zeitler all have a shot at being 1st round picks.

Babylon 01-16-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2828561)
Just wondering if anyone else is getting the same impression as me - whereas last year I thought it was a really strong draft class, this seems really weak overall. One elite prospect, a few other surefire top 10 guys in any draft (Kalil, Griffin, Claiborne, maybe Blackmon). After that it really seems to drop off. Seems like a good year to trade current draft picks for future draft picks Belichick style. Anyone else getting this impression?

I'd say very balanced but not strong. Hopefully the combine will produce some gems that will make it at least average.

FUNBUNCHER 01-16-2012 03:38 PM

It's a stanky draft for elite to very good talent.
Deepest position IMO is RB and WR.
How many true LT prospects are there?? Pass rushing DEs or OLBs, or pass rushers in general??

After Luck and RGIII, maybe Tannehill/Weeden, what is there at QB besides backups???

Any studs at TE??

Maybe there's some depth at corner, I dunno. It will be easier for me to decide what kind of talent is there at DB after I see official 40 times.

There just aren't that many established big name talents in this draft. Right now I'm underwhelmed.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender 01-16-2012 04:47 PM

Coby Fleener neg reps you^

rawdawg 01-16-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 2828596)
I like th depth on the interior oline, also the RB position is pretty deep as well. DeCastro, Konz, Glenn and Zeitler all have a shot at being 1st round picks.

Yeah, interior OL is pretty good. Usually don't see this many bluechip type prospects on the interior. Throw in Osemele, Ben Jones, and Brewster and you have 7 interior OL that could go in the 1st 2 rounds.

I also think this is a very good CB class. Maybe only Claiborne is a top notch guy, but I like a lot of the guys that project in rounds 2-4. Lot of raw talent.

CDCB14 01-16-2012 05:09 PM

If a team drafts BPA, there will always be more than enough talent.

/end thread

Babylon 01-16-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyLeggedWaistBender (Post 2828681)
Coby Fleener neg reps you^

He's got the speed you're looking for but not sure he's physical enough yet. I think he's probably going to get pushed up with a good combine (should be) and a lack of much at that position.

DraftSavant 01-16-2012 05:22 PM

If you need offensive playmakers, it's a good year.

DBNYDP 01-16-2012 05:38 PM

I think you have like 4 blue chip prospects (Luck/Claiborne/Griffin/Kalil). Then you kind of don't really have great value till around the 20th pick where I think you are looking at a lot of great value all the way through the 2nd. After that though I think the drop off is pretty big.

descendency 01-16-2012 09:32 PM

Above Average: WR, OG, ILB
Average: QB, RB, OT, OC, CB
Below Average: TE, DE, DT, OLB, S

The strength of this class is the OL. By far.

Iamcanadian 01-16-2012 10:37 PM

Last year, there was a rush to enter the draft before the rookie salary cap came into effect and a huge # of juniors declared leaving this year's senior class very underwhelming.
61 juniors declared this year although that # could change because players can still withdraw from the draft till Wednesday if they haven't signed with an agent. That is a very decent # so it pretty well depends on how good a junior crop we got.
IMO, it isn't a very deep draft but round 1 may be OK but I'm not sure just yet how many elite types we got and when the 1st round talent runs out. I don't think you want to be drafting in the 25-32 range in round 1 because all teams may be looking at is 2nd round talent. We'll know a lot better after the combine when we get a full read on all the better prospects.

Ozzy 01-17-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

descendency Above Average: WR, OG, ILB
Average: QB, RB, OT, OC, CB
Below Average: TE, DE, DT, OLB, S

The strength of this class is the OL. By far.
I would agree with everything here, but I would not have the corners as average. I would say it is an above average group of corners in this draft.

All these guys could play and or make a roster I feel. Lot deeper and arguably better group of corners than last years draft, that is for sure, especially in the later rounds.

Morris Claiborne LSU JR
Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama JR
Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska
Stephon Gilmore South Carolina JR
Janoris Jenkins Florida
Brandon Boykin Georgia
Jayron Hosley Virgina Tech JR
Casy Heyward Vanderbilt
Donnie Fletcher Boston College
Chase Minnifield Virginia
Mike Harris Florida St
Jamell Fleming Oklahoma
Ron Brooks LSU
Leonard Johnson Iowa State
Charles Brown UNC
Terrence Frederick Texas A&M
Randall Burden Kentucky
Dwight Bentley Lousiana Lafayette
Coryell Judie Texas A&M
Robert Blanton Notre Dame
Jerrell Gavins Boise State
Greg McCoy TCU

Agree that the DEs are weak, that is for sure, and outside linebacker, if you consider 3/4 OLBs I would say it is a strong class of outside linebackers in a 3/4 defense.

ellsy82 01-18-2012 01:54 AM

^^ Was just about post that. I think its a very strong draft for 3-4 DEs in particular. At least compared to previous years.

Devon Still
Billy Winn
Jared Crick
Jerel Worthy
Marcus Forston
Kendall Reyes
Kheeston Randall
Jaye Howard
Derek Wolfe
Elliot Henigan
Tydreke Powell
Travian Robertson
Tony Jerod-Eddie
Ryan Van Bergen
Ethan Johnson
J.R. Sweezy

UDFAs:
Jerome Long
Drew Nowak
Taylor Thompson
Chas Alecxih

That's not a horrible list...considering recent years. The new kid on the block, Fletcher Cox too.

Halsey 01-18-2012 03:09 AM

Every year it seems like QB is widely perceived as weak. There's only a small number of QBs in the league right now widely viewed as desirable starters, yet many fans seem to think a Draft should go half a dozen deep with future franchise QBs.

kalbears13 01-18-2012 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsey (Post 2830800)
Every year it seems like QB is widely perceived as weak. There's only a small number of QBs in the league right now widely viewed as desirable starters, yet many fans seem to think a Draft should go half a dozen deep with future franchise QBs.

For some reason I see a lot of mid round talent (whatever that means) at quarterback.

BlindSite 01-18-2012 04:58 AM

With the new rookie cap you won't be overpaying whomever you draft, QB, WR, TE, CB, OT is very top heavy, the rest is pretty weak especially LB after Burflict.

That said, there's a lot of guys who'll be solid contributors.