Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Quinton Coples Interview (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50882)

Scott Wright 02-06-2012 03:13 PM

Quinton Coples Interview
 
***

Interview with North Carolina DE Quinton Coples
http://www.draftcountdown.com/interv...ton-Coples.php

***

Smash28Dash34 02-06-2012 03:39 PM

Please Marty Hurney get this guy and put him next to Charles Johnson. Great interview btw.

4U2NV 02-06-2012 05:01 PM

Thanks for the great interview with the newest Miami Dolphin, Scott!

Scott Wright 02-06-2012 05:41 PM

I am going to be rolling out a bunch of interviews in the next few weeks.

Already got another with a potential first rounder ready to go for Wednesday.

D-Unit 02-06-2012 05:46 PM

Do you think he would fit in Rob Ryan's defense? ...and no matter what your answer is.... Why?

Finsfan79 02-06-2012 10:52 PM

Kid is perfect for Miami's new 4-3 Defense. Him with Wake on the other side would make him the rookie of the year :)

bitonti 02-07-2012 10:48 AM

that's a hilarious pic on the front page.

it wouldn't surprise me to see Coples go top 5. He's an outstanding prospect.

GaMeTiMe 02-07-2012 09:31 PM

I love how he starts by saying he'll play any position, then he'd prefer a 4-3, then he attributes his senior year dropoff to being uncomfortable playing a different position, and then right after that says his strength is his versatility. I understand there are only a few ways to answer some of these questions but none of the other prospect interviews with Scott through the years are ever that contridicting. I wasn't impressed by Coples here at all, not that he isn't a probable top-5 pick (more convinced he's a Brown by the day)

Quote:

My weakness is just things I need to work on to better my skills and move forward.
But c'mon, what is that? Scott, you need to call these guys out once in a while!

bitonti 02-09-2012 05:31 PM

a long time ago Coples was considered a future top 5pick (before his senior year)

but quinton coples was shredding during senior bowl week. He was winning all his reps. had a week like BJ Raji had... he was not blockable.

Raji was a DT, Coples is a DE who could have Julius Peppers type measurable at combine.

I want to predict him to a team picking 3, 4, 5 in the draft. he might have more value as a defender than Morris Claiborne. DBs almost never go top 5.

Scott Wright 02-09-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitonti (Post 2855173)
a long time ago Coples was considered a future top 5pick (before his senior year)

but quinton coples was shredding during senior bowl week. He was winning all his reps. had a week like BJ Raji had... he was not blockable.

Raji was a DT, Coples is a DE who could have Julius Peppers type measurable at combine.

I want to predict him to a team picking 3, 4, 5 in the draft. he might have more value as a defender than Morris Claiborne. DBs almost never go top 5.

Matt,

I'd be interested to hear who you think Coples compares to? It's tough because he isn't a stud rusher off the edge and those types usually don't go in the Top 10 overall. Although I believe Coples belongs in the Top 10 of this draft.

The best comparison I've heard so far is Jamaal Anderson.

ATLDirtyBirds 02-09-2012 06:33 PM

Still not seeing Jamaal Anderson.

A Perfect Score 02-09-2012 06:36 PM

The Jamaal Anderson one is reaaaaaaaaaaally good. Wow. That makes so much sense now that it's said. THAT's why I don't like Coples.

ATLDirtyBirds 02-09-2012 06:56 PM

Coples didn't try. Jamaal just had/has a serious lack of explosiveness.

fear the elf 02-09-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaMeTiMe (Post 2853122)
I wasn't impressed by Coples here at all, not that he isn't a probable top-5 pick (more convinced he's a Brown by the day)

Eww, no thanks.

bitonti 02-09-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2855225)
Matt,

I'd be interested to hear who you think Coples compares to? It's tough because he isn't a stud rusher off the edge and those types usually don't go in the Top 10 overall. Although I believe Coples belongs in the Top 10 of this draft.

The best comparison I've heard so far is Jamaal Anderson.


People think Coples was unproductive, he had 22 career sacks thats damn good, better than everyone in the class besides Vinny Curry. the problem was people expected 30+ sacks. Coples is a stud edge rusher.

i mentioned Julius Peppers that's a similar player. Not quite 2 overall but he's in the neighborhood. I suspect he's gonna have a sick workout at Indy.

Besides practice he had a great Senior Bowl game as well, took over the game at certain points.

A Perfect Score 02-09-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitonti (Post 2855324)
People think Coples was unproductive, he had 22 career sacks thats damn good, better than everyone in the class besides Vinny Curry. the problem was people expected 30+ sacks. Coples is a stud edge rusher.

i mentioned Julius Peppers that's a similar player. Not quite 2 overall but he's in the neighborhood. I suspect he's gonna have a sick workout at Indy.

Besides practice he had a great Senior Bowl game as well, took over the game at certain points.

Coples isn't nearly as fluid as Peppers. I don't like that comparison whatsoever. I could buy Justin Tuck. Maybe Antonio Smith if you want a lower end comparison. I don't think Coples is the dominant outside rusher some perceive him to be.

SenorGato 02-09-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 2855346)
Coples isn't nearly as fluid as Peppers. I don't like that comparison whatsoever. I could buy Justin Tuck. Maybe Antonio Smith if you want a lower end comparison. I don't think Coples is the dominant outside rusher some perceive him to be.

Tuck I could see....Trevor Pryce is another high end comp that I might like a little more...Shaun Ellis...that type of DE.

Complex 02-09-2012 09:46 PM

I always wonder what that thing was on his arm.

Grizzlegom 02-09-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2855225)
Matt,

I'd be interested to hear who you think Coples compares to? It's tough because he isn't a stud rusher off the edge and those types usually don't go in the Top 10 overall. Although I believe Coples belongs in the Top 10 of this draft.

The best comparison I've heard so far is Jamaal Anderson.

I'm not Matt but...I picked Calais Campbell for my "NFL Comparison" on my scouting report

holt_bruce81 02-09-2012 10:09 PM

I'm not really high on Coples either. I deffinetly don't understand the top 10 talk. I'm not really high on his teammate Zach Brown either, I think he's more of a late 2nd rounder or even a mid 3rd rounder.

SenorGato 02-09-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 (Post 2855514)
I'm not really high on Coples either. I deffinetly don't understand the top 10 talk. I'm not really high on his teammate Zach Brown either, I think he's more of a late 2nd rounder or even a mid 3rd rounder.

UNC in general is a little overrated this year (I'm not a Dwight Jones fan either and I agree about Brown), but Coples is my favorite of the bunch. He's big, physical, athletic, projectable...Looks like a solid starter type of guy.

GaMeTiMe 02-09-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fear the elf (Post 2855287)
Eww, no thanks.

Trust me, I wouldn't think it was a good pick either. Sorry.

bitonti 02-10-2012 10:01 AM

other North Carolina Tar Heel DE currently in the NFL:

Vonnie Holliday 6'5" 285 round 1 pick 19
Julius Peppers 6'6" 287 round 1 pick 2
Robert Quinn 6'5" 265 round 1 pick 14

and then Quinton Coples 6'5" and 3/4, 281 pounds

that's a hell of a legacy

it's not about what we think. the decision makers are aware of legacy just as they are aware that Peter Konz comes from a great school for O-line and Luck comes from the same place as John Elway.

It does matter to the people making the picks.

he's clearly better prospect than Quinn and Holliday, and he's slightly worse than Peppers. a handful of slots.

4 to CLE would make sense. probably the highest he can go. can never have enough pass rush. Washington, Jacksonville and Carolina all could use this player.

wherever he goes I think there's a decent chance he's the first defender off the board. keep in mind. DB almost never go top 5. Morris CLaiborne will have to run like Deion Sanders to go 3 to Minny. there's no way Devon Still or Michael Brockers are more valuable defenders than Coples.

Scott Wright 02-10-2012 05:29 PM

Greg Ellis isn't in the league anymore, but you could add his name to that list as well. For the younger readers, Ellis was the 8th overall pick of the Dallas Cowboys in the 1998 NFL Draft and played in the league for more than a decade finishing with 84 career sacks.

A Perfect Score 02-10-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2856292)
Greg Ellis isn't in the league anymore, but you could add his name to that list as well. For the younger readers, Ellis was the 8th overall pick of the Dallas Cowboys in the 1998 NFL Draft and played in the league for more than a decade finishing with 84 career sacks.

Greg Ellis is a damn good comparison. I like that one too.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.