Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What a Difference a Year Makes? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50910)

richardriderNF 02-08-2012 02:39 AM

What a Difference a Year Makes?
 
I remember viewing this board around this time last year and nine out of 10 of the members listed stated Cam Newton was going to be a bust, Newton was going to need time to develop, Cam Newton should switch positions, Cam Newton will be drafted in the late to early second round, very immature and inaccurate. Gabbert is going to be the best QB in this class and should be the first QB taken. I too was shocked when they announced that Carolina was going to use the number 1 pick on Cam early in April, because at the time most of you thought he would be a late 1st rounder or even a second rounder.

Boy all of you were so wrong. Now all I hear is Cam Newton is a once in a 10 year type of QB, franchise QB, excellent tools, everything you want in a QB. Obviously there scouts saw something that we did not.

Being new to this board, how serious should I take any of your analysis of players in the draft since practically every single one of you in this board was completely wrong about your analysis of Cam Newton around this time last year?

kalbears13 02-08-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardriderNF (Post 2853297)
I remember viewing this board around this time last year and nine out of 10 of the members listed stated Cam Newton was going to be a bust, Newton was going to need time to develop, Cam Newton should switch positions, Cam Newton will be drafted in the late to early second round, very immature and inaccurate. Gabbert is going to be the best QB in this class and should be the first QB taken. I too was shocked when they announced that Carolina was going to use the number 1 pick on Cam early in April, because at the time most of you thought he would be a late 1st rounder or even a second rounder.

Boy all of you were so wrong. Now all I hear is Cam Newton is a once in a 10 year type of QB, franchise QB, excellent tools, everything you want in a QB. Obviously there scouts saw something that we did not.

Being new to this board, how serious should I take any of your analysis of players in the draft since practically every single one of you in this board was completely wrong about your analysis of Cam Newton around this time last year?






Borat 02-08-2012 03:38 AM

Owned. ....

niel89 02-08-2012 04:49 AM

9/10 seems a little high from what I recall, even if it was then how can every single one of us be wrong? Why does a player either have to be a bust or a supastar? Can't he just be a very promising young player?

I didn't like Newton as a prospect but his tools were still glaringly excellent. Newton has surpassed anyone expectations so far, although I'm not quite ready to call him a top 10 QB & the best young QB like some people. I just want to see him perform for a couple years before I decide either way.

yo123 02-08-2012 05:18 AM

A better question is who are you and why should I care if you take my opinion seriously?

MetSox17 02-08-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo123 (Post 2853319)
A better question is who are you and why should I care if you take my opinion seriously?

I too would like the answer to this question.

TitansCJftw 02-08-2012 06:12 AM

Obviously in the fbi

K Train 02-08-2012 08:15 AM

lol i may not have thought cam was worth 1st overall but i certainly didnt think anything of gabbert

cjrugger 02-08-2012 09:08 AM

In the end, everyone just has an opinion. Some are more informed than others, but that doesnt even mean the more informed will neccesarily end up correct. And the same holds true for all the 'experts' on TV, the draft is a crapshoot

What is your point?

ps. I loved Cam Newton and liked Gabbert

draftguru151 02-08-2012 09:33 AM

We're all always wrong and you should probably leave now before you catch stupid from us.

Jack203 02-08-2012 09:40 AM

I believe there was a thread on this board where about 20-25 people ranked their top 10 QB's in order. I think everybody but like one or two people had Cam Newton ranked as #1.

I need to go back and find that thread.

If I remember correctly, even RC had Newton as his top QB.

Babylon 02-08-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardriderNF (Post 2853297)
I remember viewing this board around this time last year and nine out of 10 of the members listed stated Cam Newton was going to be a bust, Newton was going to need time to develop, Cam Newton should switch positions, Cam Newton will be drafted in the late to early second round, very immature and inaccurate. Gabbert is going to be the best QB in this class and should be the first QB taken. I too was shocked when they announced that Carolina was going to use the number 1 pick on Cam early in April, because at the time most of you thought he would be a late 1st rounder or even a second rounder.

Boy all of you were so wrong. Now all I hear is Cam Newton is a once in a 10 year type of QB, franchise QB, excellent tools, everything you want in a QB. Obviously there scouts saw something that we did not.

Being new to this board, how serious should I take any of your analysis of players in the draft since practically every single one of you in this board was completely wrong about your analysis of Cam Newton around this time last year?

I think people had questions about all the QBs last year and therefore there was no consensus. With Cam the number of games he played was an issue, some off the field stuff early in his career and some accuracy issues at the combine. What part of those things were in question?

Looking back he had a great year but is still young and i'm not ready to put him in a 1 in 10 year category just yet because he could take a step back if he doesnt stay focused on his game.

As for being shocked Newton went #1 because people in here questioned him (as did everyone else in the scouting world) i would suggest you develope your own opinion of players before anyone can take you seriously.

Shane P. Hallam 02-08-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardriderNF (Post 2853297)
Cam Newton was going to be a bust, Cam Newton should switch positions,


I don't too many people said these things. A lot of people (myself included,) said there were many UNKNOWNS about Cam Newton. We weren't wrong. He answered 90% of those unknowns in a positive way, and that is remarkable. Did I use the "b" word a couple of times? I did, but very rarely was it "he is going to bust." I said it at times, and shouldn't of, but most of the time I stuck with the "unknown" argument.

killxswitch 02-08-2012 12:29 PM

Obvious troll is obvious.

His name is dickrider. Come on.

brat316 02-08-2012 12:33 PM

Who the hell said he was going in the second round? Everyone knew he had talent, but what he would do with it and pan out, everybody had different opinions. I'll wait another year, before saying once in 10 year prospect.

Gabbert HAHAHAH, I think you are confusing us with Mike Mayock.

A Perfect Score 02-08-2012 12:41 PM

I was one of the biggest Cam haters on the board, and I still maintained he should go in the first round and if he kept his damn nose clean, he had the potential to be a star. In fact, I think that general statement echoes the sentiment of many, many people on this board who doubted Cam Newton.

The better question, like many of the people in this thread have mentioned, is who the **** are you to question our ability to grade prospects? I'd like to see the post where anyone said Cam Newton was going to break the passing yardage record before he was drafted. He surpassed the expectations of just about everyone this season, haters or advocates.

mightytitan9 02-08-2012 12:48 PM

Guess I'm 1 of the 10. I thought Cam was a great player, had Locker shortly behind him. I am in Big 12 country and watched Gabbert so many times, he was alot rawer than people said. Just because he was the guy that looked like what a (***) Franchise QB should, people like him.

It's basic psychology really, when someone meets the physical traits of what a person considers, or has seen to be, the ideal fit, they subconsciously upgrade them in their mind.

The only guy I was really wrong about was Mallett, and that was due to character concerns I still think he can be the QB I thought he'd be

bitonti 02-08-2012 01:02 PM

don't like to play the "I was right and you were wrong" game.

If you follow the draft long enough, everyone is right about certain players and wrong about other players. It's not an exact science. Also being wrong about a player in 2011 doesn't mean you can't be right about a player in 2012. people usually live and learn.

nfldraftnerd 02-08-2012 01:02 PM

I am not too prideful to stand here and say I stamped the "bust" tag on Cam Newton.

BUT...

Cam Newton could still end up being a "bust." One year's performance doesn't determine that... And I'll say one thing... If he throws 17 interceptions every season, his team will not win playoff games. I was one that said "great athlete, bad QB" ... He proved a lot of doubters wrong this year, including me, but let's ride it out for 5 more seasons and see where everything stands then.

Big Bird 02-08-2012 01:15 PM

I wasn't a fan of either Cam or Gabbert. I thought Gabbert's lack of poise in the pocket and the system Mizzou runs would greatly hinder him (it did) and didn't think would be able to develop into a traditional, drop-back quarterback.

Cam still has some work to do, and I'm not ready to anoint him as the best qb from last year's class. I had Locker rated 1st, who was brilliant in limited time, and Ricky Stanzi 2nd, who we haven't even seen yet. How about we wait a couple years before grading players...

K Train 02-08-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfldraftnerd (Post 2853631)
I am not too prideful to stand here and say I stamped the "bust" tag on Cam Newton.

BUT...

Cam Newton could still end up being a "bust." One year's performance doesn't determine that... And I'll say one thing... If he throws 17 interceptions every season, his team will not win playoff games. I was one that said "great athlete, bad QB" ... He proved a lot of doubters wrong this year, including me, but let's ride it out for 5 more seasons and see where everything stands then.

people forget vince young was rookie of the year once upon a time

I had locker 1 for a while but ended up going with newton in the end.

Cam
Locker
Mallet
Ponder
Kaepernick
Gabbert...i just didnt see it, and i dont get any of the reasoning with people who did

A Perfect Score 02-08-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 2853653)
people forget vince young was rookie of the year once upon a time

I had locker 1 for a while but ended up going with newton in the end.

Cam
Locker
Mallet
Ponder
Kaepernick
Gabbert...i just didnt see it, and i dont get any of the reasoning with people who did

Not only was VY Rookie of the Year, but he was well on his way to "revolutionizing the QB position". Sound familiar?

I absolutely hate some of the revisionist history that goes on around some of these prospects.

cmarq83 02-08-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardriderNF (Post 2853297)
I remember viewing this board around this time last year and nine out of 10 of the members listed stated Cam Newton was going to be a bust, Newton was going to need time to develop, Cam Newton should switch positions, Cam Newton will be drafted in the late to early second round, very immature and inaccurate. Gabbert is going to be the best QB in this class and should be the first QB taken. I too was shocked when they announced that Carolina was going to use the number 1 pick on Cam early in April, because at the time most of you thought he would be a late 1st rounder or even a second rounder.

Boy all of you were so wrong. Now all I hear is Cam Newton is a once in a 10 year type of QB, franchise QB, excellent tools, everything you want in a QB. Obviously there scouts saw something that we did not.

Being new to this board, how serious should I take any of your analysis of players in the draft since practically every single one of you in this board was completely wrong about your analysis of Cam Newton around this time last year?

How can I take you serious when you don't know the difference between there and their?

PossibleCabbage 02-08-2012 01:36 PM

I didn't like Newton going #1 overall, not because I think he was going to bust, but because I thought there was significant risk and if it didn't work out for Carolina it would seriously backfire on them.

I'm still not entirely sold on Newton as a great NFL player, but at least he's made the Panthers fun to watch.

KLima878 02-08-2012 01:37 PM

it's funny how quick people are to judge a QB after one year. Everyone knew Gabbert is raw and needed time. Due to patch management/coaching by Jack Del Rio he was thrown into a situation way ver his head. He had zero help at WR and a very bad passing scheme by the Jags. He progressed a little towards the end of the season and with a better offensive scheme and some weapons around him he may become a franchise type QB. It's way to early for any of thesed QB's to be judged.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.