Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Offseason Discussion Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50911)

BeerBaron 02-08-2012 07:45 AM

Offseason Discussion Thread
 
I thought we could use a thread to talk about random things throughout the offseason that aren't really worth a topic of their own but don't fit logically anywhere else.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...se-fred-davis/

The Redskins are planning to use the franchise tag on Fred Davis.

Also, fun thing I found researching for a full fantasy forum offseason I'd like to do:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...12-season.html

Each team's projected salary cap number.

The teams who are likely to be over the $121-$125 million cap (not yet set) are:

St. Louis Rams $120,982,904

Detroit Lions $122,760,121

New York Giants $124,735,807

New York Jets $128,092,733

Dallas Cowboys $128,910,735

Carolina Panthers $129,962,768

Oakland Raiders $140,861,316

Pittsburgh Steelers $149,885,537

bigbluedefense 02-08-2012 07:59 AM

You gonna make any end of the year thoughts? *eagerly waits*

Jughead10 02-08-2012 08:02 AM

Manningham gets overpaid by a lot. He will be completely useless his first year, but by year 2 settles in to be a nice but still overpaid player for whatever team signs him.

BeerBaron 02-08-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 2853353)
You gonna make any end of the year thoughts? *eagerly waits*

Maybe, let me think of some things. I'm currently working on a free agents and salary cap list for a potential fantasy forum offseason if there is enough interest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 2853354)
Manningham gets overpaid by a lot. He will be completely useless his first year, but by year 2 settles in to be a nice but still overpaid player for whatever team signs him.

Probably. He wouldn't be a bad 2nd tier type of free agent WR signing. But I'm like you in that I think he gets paid like a #1 WR by someone and never lives up to it.

bigbluedefense 02-08-2012 08:06 AM

Normally I'd say the Redskins would way overpay for him. But with Shanny there now, maybe they don't.

But 3 years ago, Mario would have Redskins written all over him.

Jughead10 02-08-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 2853357)
Normally I'd say the Redskins would way overpay for him. But with Shanny there now, maybe they don't.

But 3 years ago, Mario would have Redskins written all over him.

He's already gone. He said he wants to play somewhere warm after being in Michigan and NY.

bigbluedefense 02-08-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 2853360)
He's already gone. He said he wants to play somewhere warm after being in Michigan and NY.

Yeah I heard that on WFAN yesterday. He's a goner. We have options though, I'm not too worried.

I want a vertical guy to replace him though. Laurent Robinson?

BeerBaron 02-08-2012 08:10 AM

I'd say that San Fran might be a fit. Not quite "warm" but warmer than Michigan and NY. They have a need for a deep threat who can actually catch the damn ball and he'd only be the 2nd or 3rd receiving option.

Jughead10 02-08-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 2853361)
Yeah I heard that on WFAN yesterday. He's a goner. We have options though, I'm not too worried.

I want a vertical guy to replace him though. Laurent Robinson?

Smith. I really want him back. Cruz can be the vertical guy. He can be either. Smith can come back and work back slowly as the slot guy in the 3 wides like how he started his career when we had Plax/Toomer.

BeerBaron 02-08-2012 08:14 AM

You guys also have Jernigan. Hopefully his development continues.

Giantsfan1080 02-08-2012 08:15 AM

I could see Mannigham going to the Rams or Jags. Teams are both desperate for a WR.

Jughead10 02-08-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2853367)
You guys also have Jernigan. Hopefully his development continues.

There has been no development. At least that we can see. He doesn't see the field. And his returns have been average to less than average in my opinion. That's what I was originally hoping for in him, a return man. We haven't had a stud returner since Ron Dixon.

bigbluedefense 02-08-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 2853365)
Smith. I really want him back. Cruz can be the vertical guy. He can be either. Smith can come back and work back slowly as the slot guy in the 3 wides like how he started his career when we had Plax/Toomer.

I love Smith, the problem is, Cruz has developed into such a good slot WR, I don't want to take him out of the slot. He's pretty much indefensible in the slot with 1 guy on him, and that creates a ton of matchup nightmares for defenses.

If we move him outside, he'll still be effective, but he's easier to take out of the game with a 2 deep safety look.

I rather get another deep threat guy on the outside to punish teams vertically.

brat316 02-08-2012 08:20 AM

What about Hixon?

GOD DMAN steelers how are you so over the cap?

BeerBaron 02-08-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 2853368)
I could see Mannigham going to the Rams or Jags. Teams are both desperate for a WR.

And he'd be expected to be the #1 in either place. I don't think he could even live up to that, especially give the QB situations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 2853369)
There has been no development. At least that we can see. He doesn't see the field. And his returns have been average to less than average in my opinion. That's what I was originally hoping for in him, a return man. We haven't had a stud returner since Ron Dixon.

You guys have said it yourselves all year that Gilbride's system is very complex for the WRs. He may just need some more time to pick it up. Plus with the fact that you were 3 deep with quality WRs this year, he probably didn't get many opportunities.

See what he looks like in his 2nd year with a full offseason before dismissing him entirely.

BeerBaron 02-08-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 2853371)
What about Hixon?

GOD DMAN steelers how are you so over the cap?

Ancient defense basically. I seriously think some team should try to swipe Mike Wallace while the Steelers are stuck figuring out how to get under the cap.

Jughead10 02-08-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 2853371)
What about Hixon?

GOD DMAN steelers how are you so over the cap?

Back to Back ACLs. Can't count on him.

Also we need to look at TEs. We lost Ballard and Beckum to ACLs in the Super Bowl so we can't count on them for next year. TE and OL. And a WR to replace Mario. Throw in a LB somewhere and I'm set.

Now let's talk about other non Super Bowl winning teams. Don't want to dominate the discussion anymore.

bigbluedefense 02-08-2012 08:24 AM

It's going to pain me to see Luke Keuchly in an Eagles uniform next year. Also, if they let go of Asante, I think that's a major mistake. Asante is their best CB, and DRC is a solid #2 but not as good as they thought he'd be.

And Nmandi is overrated. Don't believe the hype.

Gotta keep Asante.

zachsaints52 02-08-2012 08:24 AM

I find it funny the Cowboys keep talking about how they are gonna get Carl Nicks, but they would have to release a few players and not be able to sign Bradie James, Mat McBriar, Alan Ball, Keith Brooking, Anthony Spencer.....

jrdrylie 02-08-2012 08:25 AM

The Steelers are lucky Mike Wallace is a restricted free agent and not an unrestricted free agent. That far over the cap, there is no way they would be able to keep him. If I'm San Francisco or New England, I offer him a big contract that Pittsburgh can't possibly match without drastically trimming some fat and then give up a first round pick.

Jughead10 02-08-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachsaints52 (Post 2853376)
I find it funny the Cowboys keep talking about how they are gonna get Carl Nicks, but they would have to release a few players and not be able to sign Bradie James, Mat McBriar, Alan Ball, Keith Brooking, Anthony Spencer.....

Would they miss any of those guys besides McBriar?

bigbluedefense 02-08-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachsaints52 (Post 2853376)
I find it funny the Cowboys keep talking about how they are gonna get Carl Nicks, but they would have to release a few players and not be able to sign Bradie James, Mat McBriar, Alan Ball, Keith Brooking, Anthony Spencer.....

Um, well, they really don't want any of them back. They all suck or are mediocre. Other than McBriar.

zachsaints52 02-08-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 2853371)
What about Hixon?

GOD DMAN steelers how are you so over the cap?

Big Ben, Polomalu, Woodley, Harrison, Timmons all make over 8 mil (Ben tops at 17 mil)

And you have Willie Colon making almost 6 mil, Hines making almost 5, and Ike Taylor making 7.

zachsaints52 02-08-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 2853378)
Would they miss any of those guys besides McBriar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 2853379)
Um, well, they really don't want any of them back. They all suck or are mediocre. Other than McBriar.

So your going to get rid of half of your top tacklers? Do you have another MLB to start? I thought Ball, James, Brooking (can understand him leaving), Spencer all started games...

brat316 02-08-2012 08:31 AM

Franchise Tag Wallace.

Steelers need to force Aaron Smith to retire. He has been a great 3-4 DE, but hasn't played a full season in like 4 years. Time to hang it up.

I hear they are restructuring deals, but that doesn't really help it just delays it 1 or 2 years. That is partly the reason we are in this mess, restructured some deals and winning SBs means you have a price to pay, in bonus and new deals. Also making mistakes by overpaying certain Oline positions.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.