Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   LenDale White (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5117)

Splat 03-28-2007 08:51 AM

LenDale White

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...e&type=fantasy

Update: White tipped the scales at more than 260 pounds earlier this month while working out in Tennessee's off season program, underscoring the physical conditioning concerns that in part caused him to fall to the second round of the 2006 draft, Yahoo Sports reports.

Recommendation: The Titans are looking to sign a free-agent running back to push White, who packed on 30 pounds this off season. "[LenDale] is no different than any other young player," said coach Jeff Fisher. "He needs the competition. You don't hand the job to him. The job has not been handed to him. Hopefully we'll have somebody in there to compete with him."

bigbluedefense 03-28-2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splat420 (Post 256617)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...e&type=fantasy

Update: White tipped the scales at more than 260 pounds earlier this month while working out in Tennessee's off season program, underscoring the physical conditioning concerns that in part caused him to fall to the second round of the 2006 draft, Yahoo Sports reports.

Recommendation: The Titans are looking to sign a free-agent running back to push White, who packed on 30 pounds this off season. "[LenDale] is no different than any other young player," said coach Jeff Fisher. "He needs the competition. You don't hand the job to him. The job has not been handed to him. Hopefully we'll have somebody in there to compete with him."

Wow, he really is Jerome Bettis part 2.

bsaza2358 03-28-2007 09:19 AM

No, Jerome Bettis was in shape for most of his career. The last 2 years, he was unable to work out as strenuously as he wanted to because his body was breaking down. I'm surprised he was able to even play. They showed Bettis trying to get out of bed on TV one day. All of his joints were cracking and popping. He had to struggle for over a minute just to get sitting up. After that, he had a routine of stretching and such to get himself limber and able to even walk. Bettis took a huge pounding, and he's paying for it now.

bsaza2358 03-28-2007 09:21 AM

Anyways, back to LenDale White. It is disappointing to me that LenDale wouldn't sieze an opportunity here. If he reported in shape, he would likely be handed the bulk of the carries. Instead, he was completely out of shape. Not only out of football shape. Out of shape in general. That is pathetic. It's not like he's some highly paid player. He's a second round draft pick with no guaranteed contract, and he's playing for an extension/second contract now. This is not good for him career-wise.

portermvp84 03-28-2007 09:26 AM

Wow, he starting to get lazy on us lol. They should od either kepth Brown or Henry. Now they have to go out and get somebody else for some competiotn. Wonder who it will be?

bsaza2358 03-28-2007 09:43 AM

They can draft someone, bring back Brown, or make a trade if someone is available. They were going to bring in someone anyway. LenDale's laziness means that he is far more likely to get stiffer competition than he is to take the job. He's very stupid.

toonsterwu 03-28-2007 09:51 AM

The Titans, despite all their needs overall, really need to add a WR/RB in day 1 ... which isn't the ideal position to put themselves in. There's very little out there at RB in FA anymore, unless they decide to bring back Chris Brown (and Brown could have a more tempting situation in Buffalo ... ) or they make a trade. But they really need to upgrade the talent at the skill spots on offense to give Vince Young a better shot at succeeding.

luckyjackaubrey 03-28-2007 09:57 AM

Corey Dillon is looking for work. Fisher was interviewed on NFL network at the owners meetings and he said someone would be in the backfield besides White come camp.

TACKLE 03-28-2007 10:03 AM

He was around 260 in the Rose Bowl and still outshined Reggie Bush.

Flyboy 03-28-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 256722)

And, that has what barring on their NFL careers how? Oh, wait it doesn't. Well, it does. Shows White has no motivation to better himself at the pro level. Go him.

Splat 03-28-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Who was better vs the big boys on Sundays?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 03-28-2007 11:03 AM

Too bad, I was really expecting a breakout year from him. Shows no motivation on his part to seize the huge opportunity that sat right in front of his face. I hope he rides the bench again next season.

To the person who mentioned Corey Dillon - I think Dillon would be a fine fit in Tennessee. Domanick Williams (Davis) could be a possibility if he's healthy; Kevan Barlow could also work. They could bring back Chris Brown, too. I also expect they'll draft a RB at some point, even if they sign someone. A big sleeper who I would really like to see get a chance, maybe with the Titans, is LaBrandon Toefield. He was an absolute beast and a TD machine at LSU, but he is injury prone.

OzTitan 03-28-2007 11:18 AM

I'm a tad skeptical about this to be honest. I know he was never a workout freak but he seemed genuinely enthused about the starting role and Kevin Mawae made it clear he expects him to be ready. How privy are the media usually towards weigh ins like this? I mean it's not public info right?

You know what they say about "rumors" and "information" that comes out between January and draft day.

bsaza2358 03-28-2007 11:43 AM

It's not too late for LenDale to get his act together this season and have a great year. It just would be easier for him to lock up a starting role if he were in shape now. Basically, the Titans might be overblowing the situation to motivate LenDale, or they're really pissed at him. Probably both. If he gets his crap together, he could still be a big impact player.

Vince Lombardi 03-28-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Yea, and Ron Dayne was one of the best RB's in college football history.....

Jughead10 03-28-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358 (Post 256840)
It's not too late for LenDale to get his act together this season and have a great year. It just would be easier for him to lock up a starting role if he were in shape now. Basically, the Titans might be overblowing the situation to motivate LenDale, or they're really pissed at him. Probably both. If he gets his crap together, he could still be a big impact player.

He should be able to drop 15 lbs easily by the start of training camp during the offseason workouts. Weight might just always be an issue for him. Some guys just naturally put on weight fast. But they can get it off just as fast with hard work, which for him will be the team off season training. Offensive lineman rarely ever come in at the right weight, but its not a story because, well their offensive linemen.

Jughead10 03-28-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splat420 (Post 256758)
Who was better vs the big boys on Sundays?

Actually as far a pure rushing. The two were pretty similar. LenDale actually average more per carry.

Whistler6 03-28-2007 12:17 PM

cut him..he can go hang out with other guys like Curtis Enis, Maurice Clarett, etc. (BUST)

lod01 03-28-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 256621)
Wow, he really is Jerome Bettis part 2.

Jerome Bettis was good. This guy is not.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 03-28-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 256876)
Actually as far a pure rushing. The two were pretty similar. LenDale actually average more per carry.

Ha, how did I know that somebody would bring this up?

First of all, Bush got more than twice the carries White got. He actually got nearly 100 more carries. Bush averaged 3.65 YPC on 155 carries. White averaged 4.00 YPC on 61. Big deal. You can't use yards per carry to determine who was the better rusher when there is such a large gap between the number of carries.

Furthermore, everybody knows Reggie struggled, a lot, during the first half of the year. But, as he began to adjust his rushing style, his production on the ground improved mightily. Look at the numbers:

First 8 games of the season:
81 carries, 207 yards, 2.6 YPC, 0 rushing TD

Last 8 games of the season:
74 carries, 358 yards, 4.8 YPC, 6 rushing TD

Reggie was better, in all aspects of the game, than LenDale White.

Jughead10 03-28-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan (Post 256941)

I would hope so. He was the number 2 overall pick after all. But when Lendale gets the carries, I still think he'll be a better pure rusher. He always was the better in between the tackles RB.

bernbabybern820 03-28-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358 (Post 256638)
No, Jerome Bettis was in shape for most of his career. The last 2 years, he was unable to work out as strenuously as he wanted to because his body was breaking down. I'm surprised he was able to even play. They showed Bettis trying to get out of bed on TV one day. All of his joints were cracking and popping. He had to struggle for over a minute just to get sitting up. After that, he had a routine of stretching and such to get himself limber and able to even walk. Bettis took a huge pounding, and he's paying for it now.

ya i saw that too on sportcenter. It was crazy. He had to use crutches to walk and couldnt practice until wednesday or thursday.

Non_Sequitur 03-28-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358 (Post 256638)

Jim Brown takes 7 prescription painkillers every day just to operate. And he quit the game early.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 03-28-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 256946)
I would hope so. He was the number 2 overall pick after all. But when Lendale gets the carries, I still think he'll be a better pure rusher. He always was the better in between the tackles RB.

Maybe so, but the knock on LenDale was his work ethic, and this story certainly doesn't do anything other confirm those thoughts.

Reggie doesn't get credit for improving his game between the tackles the way he did over the course of last year. I expect nothing less than more improvement. Do I think he'll ever be a great inside runner? Absolutely not. But he already is (and will continue to be) a better, more balanced runner and better overall RB than White.

Non_Sequitur 03-28-2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan (Post 256941)
Ha, how did I know that somebody would bring this up?

First of all, Bush got more than twice the carries White got. He actually got nearly 100 more carries. Bush averaged 3.65 YPC on 155 carries. White averaged 4.00 YPC on 61. Big deal. You can't use yards per carry to determine who was the better rusher when there is such a large gap between the number of carries.

Furthermore, everybody knows Reggie struggled, a lot, during the first half of the year. But, as he began to adjust his rushing style, his production on the ground improved mightily. Look at the numbers:

First 8 games of the season:
81 carries, 207 yards, 2.6 YPC, 0 rushing TD

Last 8 games of the season:
74 carries, 358 yards, 4.8 YPC, 6 rushing TD

As someone who paid close attention, the reason Reggie's YPC went on the rise during the 2nd half is because they abandoned all hope that he would learn to run inside and just let him go on outside runs; leaving Deuce to do all the hard work in the middle.