Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Jacksonville at #7 overall (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51240)

gpngc 02-26-2012 02:41 PM

Jacksonville at #7 overall

If the top of the draft goes like this...

Luck, RG3, Kalil, TRich, Claiborne, Blackmon

Then what the hell does Jacksonville do at #7 overall?

Keep in mind, GM Gene Smith will NOT take players with character issues (which eliminates Coples, Floyd, and probably Kirkpatrick).

They also don't need a DT.

Assuming they can't trade down (and it's not really a hot spot to move up to based on value - unless Seattle wants Tannehill and Miami would take him at 8), who do they take?

Crazy_Chris 02-26-2012 02:44 PM

I think DeCastro is a legit possibility to Jacksonville. They need to get Gabbert the best protection possible to help with his cowardess, and Decastro is the 2nd best O-linemen. Aswell G. Smith has never been scared to take what others may consider a "reach".

Vaylor 02-26-2012 02:45 PM

Kendall Wright or Riley Reiff. They have to get a player who can help Gabbert.

Vaylor 02-26-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris (Post 2875137)
I think DeCastro is a legit possibility to Jacksonville. They need to get Gabbert the best protection possible to help with his cowardess, and Decastro is the 2nd best O-linemen. Aswell G. Smith has never been scared to take what others may consider a "reach".

Ah or this.

Unbiased 02-26-2012 02:46 PM

Gene has a ton of cash to work with. We might as well wait until after FA because he's likely to sign quite a few players.

gpngc 02-26-2012 02:47 PM

On second thought, a team that loves Brockers could try to move up in front of Carolina...

But there are so many good DTs that a team would have to REALLY love Brockers to move up to get him.

This pick is crazy to me.

FUNBUNCHER 02-26-2012 02:48 PM

Blaine Gabbert, give a big wet sloppy kiss you your new best friend, Michael Floyd!!

gpngc 02-26-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2875145)
Blaine Gabbert, give a big wet sloppy kiss you your new best friend, Michael Floyd!!

Three alcohol-related incidents might hurt his case. From a football standpoint it's a perfect fit. Maybe Gene Smith will overlook his red flags. Kids do drink, they just usually don't get in trouble THAT much during college. A good interview might sway him, though. You never know.

The thing that kills me is that Kendall Wright ran a 4.4 like everyone expected, he'd be the obvious pick. Damn.

SuperPacker 02-26-2012 02:55 PM

I've thought Kendall Wright for a long time and i still think thats what they'll do.

Prowler 02-26-2012 03:04 PM

That's a terrible position for Jacksonville at #7. Try like hell to trade back.

scottyboy 02-26-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 2875169)
That's a terrible position for Jacksonville at #7. Try like hell to trade back.

this. trade back to someone who wants Brockers.

they need help, more picks, more players, more youth. trade down to try and get Decastro, Reiff or Martin and load up on picks to try and get WR's.

or take Decastro at 7

ChiFan24 02-26-2012 03:20 PM

I had them trading back to 15 and taking Sanu in my last mock. Reiff would make sense as if they stay at #7; Whimper was their RT last season and he's a FA.

rfc17 02-26-2012 03:28 PM

Gene Smith is the honeybadger of GMs. He doesnt care, he just takes who he wants.

Dont sleep on Courtney Upshaw here. But yea bad position for the Jags. Should have tanked that game against the Colts at the end of the year.

BamaFalcon59 02-26-2012 03:32 PM

I like Upshaw among the options. That's a tone-setter for the defense.

If not, then Floyd.

DeCastro is great but I'm not taking a guard at seven. You can grab Osmele in round two, plug him at guard, and potentially have a future all-pro.

ChiFan24 02-26-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 (Post 2875221)
I like Upshaw among the options. That's a tone-setter for the defense.

If not, then Floyd.

DeCastro is great but I'm not taking a guard at seven. You can grab Osmele in round two, plug him at guard, and potentially have a future all-pro.

In DeCastro you definitely have an immediate all pro. Not saying I'd take him at #7, but I think there's a pretty sizable gap between he and Osemele.

gpngc 02-26-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2875193)
I had them trading back to 15 and taking Sanu in my last mock. Reiff would make sense as if they stay at #7; Whimper was their RT last season and he's a FA.

Well what team would value Brockers so much more than the other DTs that they are willing to deal picks to move up?

Seattle jumping Miami for Tannehill is a possibility.

BamaFalcon59 02-26-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2875241)
In DeCastro you definitely have an immediate all pro. Not saying I'd take him at #7, but I think there's a pretty sizable gap between he and Osemele.

You never "definitely" have an all-pro. Especially immediately.

A guard worthy of a round two pick is still an awesome guard prospect. A receiver in the second round is a common occurance.

scottyboy 02-26-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 (Post 2875265)
You never "definitely" have an all-pro. Especially immediately.

A guard worthy of a round two pick is still an awesome guard prospect. A receiver in the second round is a common occurance.

while I agree, I don't think I've seen such an NFL worthy and all around talented lineman in the draft as DeCastro. As someone else here said, position aside, he's the 2nd most talented player in this draft.

Miaoww 02-26-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2875142)
On second thought, a team that loves Brockers could try to move up in front of Carolina...

But there are so many good DTs that a team would have to REALLY love Brockers to move up to get him.

This pick is crazy to me.

You think the Panthers will draft Brockers?

I've honestly no idea what Rivera and Hurney are going to do.

IrishBrowns 02-26-2012 04:27 PM

Where is all this Kendall Wright at #7 now?? One guy said it and now he's jumping that high. Or is it because of the hype of RGIII. Either way, he just ran a 4.61 40. I don't see how he is supposedly moving up so much. Perceiving things...If he ran a 4.3 forty then yeah I could see it happening. But nothing happened besides a worse 40 time than anyone thought.

BamaFalcon59 02-26-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 2875269)
while I agree, I don't think I've seen such an NFL worthy and all around talented lineman in the draft as DeCastro. As someone else here said, position aside, he's the 2nd most talented player in this draft.

I agree.

I only have he and Luck as "elite" prospects. Claiborne, Kalil, RG3, and Richardson on the level below that.

Babylon 02-26-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishBrowns (Post 2875324)
Where is all this Kendall Wright at #7 now?? One guy said it and now he's jumping that high. Or is it because of the hype of RGIII. Either way, he just ran a 4.61 40. I don't see how he is supposedly moving up so much. Perceiving things...If he ran a 4.3 forty then yeah I could see it happening. But nothing happened besides a worse 40 time than anyone thought.

I wouldnt take Wright there more because of his size as opposed to a 4.61 electronic time. Go with the 4.45 unofficial, besides he plays fast.

SilentJaguar 02-26-2012 04:39 PM

Seriously doubt that Gene takes DeCastro even if they traded down and he was still there(unless Meester up and retires suddenly between now and the Draft) since Uche played very well and Rackley was playing much better by the end of the year. I could possibly see Reiff, but that would depend on Britton's health and how much they like Haslem(IR'd before the season started and would've been starting at RT possibly instead of the terrible Guy Whimper) and Cameron Bradfield(UDFA who came in and played decently after Whimper got IR'd). If I had to narrow it down some, I'd say that Coples/Upshaw/Kirkpatrick/Reiff would be the most likely targets if we stay at 7.

Really don't want to draft a WR in the top 10 this year, but if we got down to around the 13-15 range and Floyd was still there, I'd be incredibly giddy.

toonsterwu 02-27-2012 01:52 AM

My initial inclination is to say Kendall Wright, but that assumes he runs well in his own workouts/pro day. IIRC, Mularkey's first year in Buffalo resulted in drafting a similar sized receiver who had quickness and deep ball ability (Lee Evans). They are going all-in on Gabbert, have a good run game and decent OL. They've got to give Gabbert some WR's to work with, and I love how Wright goes to get the ball.

If he runs poorly again, then it's up in the air. A DE will likely work out well and could move up.

Master Exploder 02-27-2012 02:14 AM

Stephen Hill has made things interesting. I don't want to over-react to his combine, but he's probably going to be a 1st rounder now.

Gene Smith will draft a guy higher than his perceived stock and the Falcons were very high on Demaryius Thomas in 2010, who came from the same system and is a very similar prospect. It will be interesting, especially if Mike Mularkey was the one pulling for Thomas in Atlanta.