Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   'Skins Up The Ante (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51246)

pappanorm 02-26-2012 07:43 PM

'Skins Up The Ante

The Washington Redskins have been rumored to be willing to offer as much as their #1, #2, and number #3 this year, and their #1 next year for the number #2 pick in this year's draft (from St. Louis), for the rights to select Robert Griffin III as their franchise quarterback. If this latest rumor is true then I think that my Browns are in deep doodoo. With Holmgren & Heckert being relatively new to Cleveland, I have no idea how they work or what their thinking could be. The 'Skins owner from what I understand is a gambler out to win. So where does that leave my Brownies?

PossibleCabbage 02-26-2012 07:48 PM

If the Skins are offering 1, 2, 3, and a future 1 for RG3, then I don't think you try to beat that offer. Go sign/trade for Matt Flynn or something, if you're the Browns.

scottyboy 02-26-2012 07:49 PM

i think the browns would still be in fine position. Now, I'm no expert on the state of the Browns, but in this scenario they could opt to take Richardson or Blackmon, OR with Claiborne/Kalil there, have a large market to trade down...or pick one of them as Claiborne and Haden would be a ridiculous young and talented CB duo. Wouldn't take Kalil, but would have a good market for him. But again, there'd be a great market for both so the browns could indeed move down. They could also make a strong push for a guy like Matt Flynn in free agency. With picks 22 and 37, they also have a great chance to grab a WR with either of those in such a deep class and another position of need (I'm no expert on the Browns, not sure of their main needs outside of playmakers on O and an upgrade over McCoy). I still think they're in fine shape. As a giants fan, I'd die on the inside seeing RG3 a skin...but if they give up that much than jesus, that might be worth it

fear the elf 02-26-2012 07:49 PM

It leaves us with Colt McCoy. Yeah, I'd like to have RGIII, but not at the cost of our entire draft. There's just not enough talent on this team to give up that much.

Shane P. Hallam 02-26-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappanorm (Post 2875568)
The Washington Redskins have been rumored to be willing to offer as much as their #1, #2, and number #3 this year, and their #1 next year for the number #2 pick in this year's draft (from St. Louis), for the rights to select Robert Griffin III as their franchise quarterback. If this latest rumor is true then I think that my Browns are in deep doodoo. With Holmgren & Heckert being relatively new to Cleveland, I have no idea how they work or what their thinking could be. The 'Skins owner from what I understand is a gambler out to win. So where does that leave my Brownies?

Do you have any type of link?

bearsfan_51 02-26-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappanorm (Post 2875568)
The 'Skins owner from what I understand is a gambler out to win.

fear the elf 02-26-2012 07:53 PM

Yeah, I think scotty hit it. Try to trade back a couple of picks and grab the best WR or maybe even a RT or RG and go after the WR at #22. Grab a Doug Martin/Lamar Miller at #37 and that's not a bad haul.

scottyboy 02-26-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fear the elf (Post 2875582)
Yeah, I think scotty hit it. Try to trade back a couple of picks and grab the best WR or maybe even a RT or RG and go after the WR at #22. Grab a Doug Martin/Lamar Miller at #37 and that's not a bad haul.

if you guys move back a bit and come out with something like:
Decastro
Floyd
and Miller/Martin

that's a damn good haul, with a few extra picks scattered in there

FUNBUNCHER 02-26-2012 08:08 PM

Dude isn't trolling. Skins beat reporters and team source 'insiders' have stated that Bruce Allen and the Rams have been in negotiations for the #2 picks for several weeks already and will have a deal in principle before FA starts.

The deal has to be untouchable to prevent late players from getting into the bidding and trumping the SKins offer.

I know my team's owner is a nutcase and believes more money and trading draft picks can buy happiness.
Does Cleveland or Miami's FO feel the same way?

Nothing confirmed, but as they say in the intelligence world, the internet chatter in Redskins land is deafening.

If we hear on draft day that the Rams have traded the #2 pick to the Skins, the deal was done months ago.

The only caveat is that there was the same chatter about the Cutler deal, until it came down to which QB was considered more valuable in a trade to Denver; Jason Campbell or Kyle Orton??

Danny won't get burned like he did on that last deal.
I hope.;)

Clarkw267 02-26-2012 08:10 PM

I don't think there's any way they can go into next season with Colt McCoy as the starter... unless they draft one of the 2nd tier guys, and have him bridge the gap until the rook is up to speed.

If the Browns came out with

4. Richardson
22. Glenn (As RT to replace Pashos)
37. Tannehill/Osweiler

I think that would be solid.

STsACE 02-26-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fear the elf (Post 2875575)
It leaves us with Colt McCoy. Yeah, I'd like to have RGIII, but not at the cost of our entire draft. There's just not enough talent on this team to give up that much.

True. Too many other needs to have to give up that much. I'd think twice though if Indy would take that for Luck.

fear the elf 02-26-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 2875590)
if you guys move back a bit and come out with something like:
Decastro
Floyd
and Miller/Martin

that's a damn good haul, with a few extra picks scattered in there

I would love that draft.

fap fap fap fap fap

fear the elf 02-26-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkw267 (Post 2875601)
I don't think there's any way they can go into next season with Colt McCoy as the starter... unless they draft one of the 2nd tier guys, and have him bridge the gap until the rook is up to speed.

If the Browns came out with

4. Richardson
22. Glenn (As RT to replace Pashos)
37. Tannehill/Osweiler

I think that would be solid.

Meh, I disagree with your evaluation of Colt. I'm not saying he's a franchise guy or anything, just that he's not as bad as you make him out to be.

Also, I think we are polar opposites in our preference of draft prospects. I do not like your "draft."

kalbears13 02-26-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fear the elf (Post 2875632)
I would love that draft.

fap fap fap fap fap

I agree completely. If they were to somehow able to nab Flynn, the Browns would be in great shape.

vidae 02-26-2012 08:43 PM

I'm surprised the Skins wouldn't go the Manning route first, or at least test the waters before offering this much.

TonyGfortheTD 02-26-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 2875638)
I'm surprised the Skins wouldn't go the Manning route first, or at least test the waters before offering this much.

This is the Redskins we're talking about though. Nothing should surprise anyone.

J-Mike88 02-26-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 2875572)
If the Skins are offering 1, 2, 3, and a future 1 for RG3, then I don't think you try to beat that offer. Go sign/trade for Matt Flynn or something, if you're the Browns.

I believe Flynn is destined for Miami and it's been in the cards since Philbin went there.

bruschis4all 02-26-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mike88 (Post 2875716)
I believe Flynn is destined for Miami and it's been in the cards since Philbin went there.

I think Peyton to Miami. Flynn to Cleveland Or Seattle.

brat316 02-26-2012 09:55 PM

Seattle didn't meet with RGIII. So maybe they want Flynn?

PossibleCabbage 02-26-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruschis4all (Post 2875734)
I think Peyton to Miami. Flynn to Cleveland Or Seattle.

I think Peyton Manning and the offense that Joe Philbin will be importing from Green Bay are just a terrible match.

You hire Philbin as your HC because you want to run Mike McCarthy's offense. You bring in Peyton Manning as your QB because you want to run Peyton Manning's offense. They're not especially compatible.

bruschis4all 02-26-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 2875740)
I think Peyton Manning and the offense that Joe Philbin will be importing from Green Bay are just a terrible match.

You hire Philbin as your HC because you want to run Mike McCarthy's offense. You bring in Peyton Manning as your QB because you want to run Peyton Manning's offense. They're not especially compatible.

That's insulting to Peyton Manning. He can run any offensive co-ordinator's offense. I've seen the Colts spread people out just like GB does. He might be the smartest qb whomever played. And, he can't run Joe Philbin's offense?
Yeah, right.

PossibleCabbage 02-26-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruschis4all (Post 2875748)
That's insulting to Peyton Manning. He can run any offensive co-ordinator's offense. I've seen the Colts spread people out just like GB does. He might be the smartest qb whomever played. And, he can't run Joe Philbin's offense?
Yeah, right.

Peyton Manning can run any offense he wants, he just doesn't want to learn a new offense in the last few years of his career. Professional quarterbacks aren't dumb, but they don't like to change course midstream (no professional athletes do.) Wherever Peyton Manning goes (and remember they have to sell him on going there, not the other way around), they're going to have to adapt to him, not the other way around.

It's not really different than how when Brett Favre went to the Jets, and the Vikings, those teams more or less abandoned their offensive identity and did what Favre wanted.

Wrathman 02-26-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 2875736)
Seattle didn't meet with RGIII. So maybe they want Flynn?

General manager John Schneider also said that the team will not over-react at quarterback such as "giving up draft choices to go get somebody" or "guaranteeing somebody a ton of money that you're not quite sure is the guy that's going to get you over the hump."

That tells me they won't pay a ransom to move up in the draft for RG3 and they won't overpay someone who has started two NFL games in a system very different from their own. If teams want to over-pay for Flynn, it appears the Hawks won't be silly enough to go down that path.

bruschis4all 02-26-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 2875765)
Peyton Manning can run any offense he wants, he just doesn't want to learn a new offense in the last few years of his career. Professional quarterbacks aren't dumb, but they don't like to change course midstream (no professional athletes do.) Wherever Peyton Manning goes (and remember they have to sell him on going there, not the other way around), they're going to have to adapt to him, not the other way around.

It's not really different than how when Brett Favre went to the Jets, and the Vikings, those teams more or less abandoned their offensive identity and did what Favre wanted.

I'd rather have Peyton Manning running his offense with Philbin's assistance than Flynn. Miami hasn't put in that offense yet. Their players don't know it either. Isn't Philbin smart enough to think along with the greatest offensive we've ever seen play qb? And, I'm not a Colts fan in case anyone wants to know.

PoopSandwich 02-26-2012 10:33 PM

Rams would be dumb to pass that up even if the Browns offer both firsts this year. They need a bunch of talent and can still grab one of the premier players with a top 6 picks.