Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Why Luck Will Never Live Up to the Hype (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51268)

papageorgio 02-27-2012 06:35 PM

Why Luck Will Never Live Up to the Hype

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqHTROHwFw4

This guy has no velocity on his throws. People are comparing this guy to the all time greats like Elway and Manning. He will become the next Matt Ryan or Chad Pennington.

Heard it here first folks.

I cant be the only one here that feels this guy is not this once in a a lifetime prospect. Its pretty sad how RG3 is not getting any love for number one when he is better in every single facet of football compared to Luck. I was right about Newton and I will bet anyone here that Luck will never be a top 10 QB in the NFL.

Crazy_Chris 02-27-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papageorgio (Post 2877164)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqHTROHwFw4

This guy has no velocity on his throws. People are comparing this guy to the all time greats like Elway and Manning. He will become the next Matt Ryan or Chad Pennington.

Heard it here first folks.

I cant be the only one here that feels this guy is not this once in a a lifetime prospect. Its pretty sad how RG3 is not getting any love for number one when he is better in every single facet of football compared to Luck. I was right about Newton and I will bet anyone here that Luck will never be a top 10 QB in the NFL.

Sure he is, if you consider athleticism and arm strength every single facet of football.

Caulibflower 02-27-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papageorgio (Post 2877164)
I was right about Newton and I will bet anyone here that Luck will never be a top 10 QB in the NFL.

*Lays down $1000.*

Iamcanadian 02-27-2012 06:39 PM

Absolute rubbish, if anything the Combine confirmed that he is even a better prospect than I thought.

I also love RG111 but there is no way I'd put him above Luck.

bitonti 02-27-2012 06:45 PM

hey nick, hows software development in yuma

papageorgio 02-27-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2877183)
Absolute rubbish, if anything the Combine confirmed that he is even a better prospect than I thought.

I also love RG111 but there is no way I'd put him above Luck.

There is nothing Luck can do that RG3 cant do better. Luck was lucky he played in the Pac 10 because in the sec he would have been exposed for what he truly is.

SolidGold 02-27-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papageorgio (Post 2877202)
There is nothing Luck can do that RG3 cant do better. Luck was lucky he played in the Pac 10 because in the sec he would have been exposed for what he truly is.

Griffin played in the Big 12 man...

Caulibflower 02-27-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 2877207)

I think Pac 12 defenses are probably more talented than Big 12 Ds.

papageorgio 02-27-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 2877207)

He still has all the tools to be successful unlike Luck. He was Baylor. Without him they would win no games.

Substitute any Qb in lucks system and Stanford would still win many games.

SolidGold 02-27-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papageorgio (Post 2877219)
He still has all the tools to be successful unlike Luck. He was Baylor. Without him they would win no games.

Yup, Tavita Pritchard was in that system before Luck under Haurbaugh and he really lit the PAC 10 on fire

Pat Sims 90 02-27-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Any QB can play in a Pro Style Offense and have as much success as Luck did now?

SolidGold 02-27-2012 06:55 PM

When Griffin got knocked out of the Texas Tech game his backup came in and went 9/12 151 yds and 2 tds...just saying

Complex 02-27-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 2877233)
When Griffin got knocked out of the Texas Tech game his backup came in and went 9/12 151 yds and 2 tds...just saying

It was Texas Tech just saying.

papageorgio 02-27-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 2877222)
Yup, Tavita Pritchard was in that system before Luck under Haurbaugh and he really lit the PAC 10 on fire

They were 6-3 in the regular season which is decent.

Luck had an elite o line. Great tight ends and Owusu this year and last. You out Kellen Moore there and they win the exact same amount of games.

Hes a system QB no denying it.

papageorgio 02-27-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 (Post 2877223)
Any QB can play in a Pro Style Offense and have as much success as Luck did now?

Pro style system means jack ****. Most of the top NFL teams run a spread now anyways.

Being in a pro system didnt do anything for Clausen and Quinn.

It shows how meaningless it really is.

Iamcanadian 02-27-2012 07:07 PM

You had your moment in time but the reality is, you don't have a clue about Luck and are just demonstrating your inability to rate a prospect. There isn't a GM or scout in the NFL that agree with you, end of story.

papageorgio 02-27-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2877259)
You had your moment in time but the reality is, you don't have a clue about Luck and are just demonstrating your inability to rate a prospect. There isn't a GM or scout in the NFL that agree with you, end of story.

How can you deny facts im presenting. There are many who see Luck as another Matt Ryan. Thats fine but not someone who will ever be elite or win you a Superbowl without an elite defense.

A Perfect Score 02-27-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papageorgio (Post 2877271)
How can you deny facts im presenting. There are many who see Luck as another Matt Ryan. Thats fine but not someone who will ever be elite or win you a Superbowl without an elite defense.

Probably because you haven't presented a single fact. Opinions yes, many of them. None of them entirely relevant, or spelled properly...

Anyways, if you were remotely capable of presenting a legitimate argument, I might be inclined to agree that Luck won't live up to the hype, but only because the hype is so absurdly high.

BuddyCHRIST 02-27-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papageorgio (Post 2877238)
They were 6-3 in the regular season which is decent.

Luck had an elite o line. Great tight ends and Owusu this year and last. You out Kellen Moore there and they win the exact same amount of games.

Hes a system QB no denying it.

Owusu literally missed over half of his games the past two years and was not the same player due to concussions. Nice try though.

And no they don't with Kellen Moore.

If you like RG3 more then thats fine, because he's a great player. But Luck is a great prospect. He is the best pre-snap QB to come into the league since Peyton, a very accurate passer and his arm strength is becoming underrated with the amount of flack it receives. Not to mention this kid has been under more pressure than any player in CFB the past few years and handled it extremely well. If you don't come away more impressed after each interview then you weren't paying attention.

FUNBUNCHER 02-27-2012 07:19 PM

A lot of people are underestimating Luck's arm strength because of the reads he was required to make which rarely asked him to rip it 30 yards downfield splitting coverage.

I've seen him really throw it enough times to know he can do it if you give him WRs who can get downfield and challenge secondaries.
I don't have any questions about his arm strength.

papageorgio 02-27-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2877288)
A lot of people are underestimating Luck's arm strength because of the reads he was required to make which rarely asked him to rip it 30 yards downfield splitting coverage.

I've seen him really throw it enough times to know he can do it if you give him WRs who can get downfield and challenge secondaries.
I don't have any questions about his arm strength.

Look at the video I showed you. It was very Pennington like. In the NFL his noodle arm will be abused for many more pick 6`s

If Manning Clears out and can still play you Draft Trent Richardson and try and win some more super bowls.

Luck will never be able to carry a team like Manning did in Indy. Drafting Luck is a slap in the face to Manning.

niel89 02-27-2012 08:29 PM

If your life had a face, I would punch it. I would punch your life in the face.

toonsterwu 02-27-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

They might win some games, but they wouldn't be nearly as good as Luck was in the scheme. It's easy to forget that Stanford ran one of the most complex offenses, for QB's, in the entire NCAA. It required Luck to make line adjustments, make multiple reads.

I agree RG3 has a higher ceiling than Luck, but there's a bigger unknown with RG3. He didn't nearly have as many multiple read responsibilities as Luck did.

Comparing Luck's arm strength to Pennington is fairly ridiculous. Luck doesn't have RG3's deep ball, but he shows good enough velocity. Look at the hard 15 yard outs Luck made in that system - those are the tough passes that a QB have to make consistently, and Luck can do that. I've always said his arm strength seemed more Schaub-ish.

Taber21 02-27-2012 08:46 PM

So you think the Colts, with the roster they have now and a healthy Manning, need to draft a RB at #1? I would agree their RB's leave a lot to be desired, but picking a RB #1 would be about the worst pick you could make. I am sure there are a dozen teams willing to trade up to #1 for Luck if the Colts decided QB was not a need.

toonsterwu 02-27-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papageorgio (Post 2877243)
Pro style system means jack ****. Most of the top NFL teams run a spread now anyways.

Being in a pro system didnt do anything for Clausen and Quinn.

It shows how meaningless it really is.

Pro-readiness, pro-system is one of the most pointless catch-phrases used by draftniks. A closer analysis of teh Weis systems in ND would show that Clausen and Quinn had a ton of limited read looks, where there responsibilities were often cut in half. Certainly, some plays in the NFL are like that, but it's far more complex.

Luck is the only QB I have ever, in my history on this board, been close enough to tag a "ready" tag. What he doesn't have is an understanding of the speed of the game, which will jump up a notch, BUT what he does have is

a) Excellent field vision
b) Excellent hi-lo recognition
c) Excellent 1-5 recognition
d) Excellent intermediate accuracy
e) Excellent seam touch
f) Excellent pocket awareness/footwork
g) Excellent ability to throw with anticipation

I love RG3. Any other draft, and he'd be almost guaranteed to be the top overall. He might end up being better than Luck. But Luck's combination of ceiling and "readiness" is simply too much to overcome, IMO, for RG3 this year. I certainly wouldn't fault any org for drafting upside, though. RG3 simply hasn't had the read responsibilities in college, and he hasn't shown the consistent ability to throw with anticipation (which is not entirely his fault ... ). This is no fault of RG3's in some respects- it's the system he was asked to operate, but, even with the changes in the draft pick costs, you still want the best combination of upside and readiness at the top of the draft, and IMO, Luck, the best QB prospect since Manning (and I'm old enough to remember Peyton in college, and I'm not sure Luck isn't a better prospect than Manning coming out), simply is that notch higher.