Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   RGIII or Cam Newton? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51290)

Scotty D 02-28-2012 01:17 PM

RGIII or Cam Newton?

Either choose between them as prospects coming out or choose who you think will have the best NFL career. Who will have the better supporting cast? Just for now I'd use RGIII to Washington but you can use the team you think he'll land with.

A Perfect Score 02-28-2012 01:28 PM

As prospects, RGIII. I think he's a more natural passer then Newton was, he displays better touch and accuracy (Especially in the short to mid range passing game), he can push the ball downfield as well as Newton (Doesn't have the pure armstrength of Newton, but he still throws a gorgeous deep ball) and he's equally dynamic running the ball, if not as dominant. Most importantly, RGIII is squeaky clean off the field and Newton was anything but. Very different players though.

RaiderNation 02-28-2012 01:32 PM

I really like RG3 and think he would be a #1 pick in just about any other draft in these last few seasons, but I had to go with Newton here. From the 1st I saw of his last year I knew Newton had special talent and skills, and had the ability to change the QB position. He is a LeBron James type athlete for his size and speed, to go with his rocket arm. RG3 might have the better character going into the draft, but after that I'd give Newton a better grade in just about every area.

Razor 02-28-2012 01:35 PM

RGIII every time. I didn't even think Newton had first round value... How wrong was I, huh? Anywho, I'd still take RGIII over Newton.

Crazy_Chris 02-28-2012 02:05 PM

I think this is clearly RG3 if it's based purely on comparison coming as draft prospects. However Newton proved almost everyone wrong this year, and looking forward I'd definatly take Newton.

Master Exploder 02-28-2012 02:16 PM

Cam Newton was a better prospect in my opinion. He beat up the entire NCAA by himself. He's better at running and he has an NFL arm.

RGIII isn't bad though. He doesn't have a crazy arm, and he can't run as well, but his athleticism is off the charts. He also led a bad Baylor team to some significance, but Cam carried Auburn in a much tougher conference to a National Championship.

I was extremely high on Cam Newton last season. He's probably the best all-around package that I have seen in a physical manner at QB. The only thing that I like more in RGIII is that he appears to be more of a safer pick in the sense that he's more of a "pure" passer and he also appears to be more intelligent. However, those are the only 2 things that I see him being better than Cam in and those are both things that can potentially be coached. So, I go with Cam Newton.

Babylon 02-28-2012 02:36 PM

Newton at a similar stage (only real way to compare). I just think he's got more arm for the next level and is harder to bring down.

BoiseSt39 02-28-2012 02:43 PM

RGIII. Character is top notch, and all the tools are there.

bitonti 02-28-2012 02:45 PM

Cam newton all day long

toonsterwu 02-28-2012 04:18 PM

At the same stage (Newton last year and RG3 this year), I'd easily take RG3, and I thought Newton was a deserving first overall.

zachsaints52 02-28-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 2878570)
As prospects, RGIII. I think he's a more natural passer then Newton was, he displays better touch and accuracy (Especially in the short to mid range passing game), he can push the ball downfield as well as Newton (Doesn't have the pure armstrength of Newton, but he still throws a gorgeous deep ball) and he's equally dynamic running the ball, if not as dominant. Most importantly, RGIII is squeaky clean off the field and Newton was anything but. Very different players though.

Pretty much this.

murdamal86 02-28-2012 04:27 PM

Cam and it's not even that close to be honest with you. I'm just not as high on RGlll as everybody else is.

Cigaro 02-28-2012 05:27 PM

Going based on my pre-NFL opinions of the two players, RGIII. I cringed when the Panthers drafted Cam Newton. But after seeing Cam Newton actually play and prove me clearly wrong, I'd take Cam Newton over RGIII. I see Cam Newton becoming easily at least one of the top five quarterbacks within the next few years. RGIII might become that, but he also could easily not be.

bigbuc 02-28-2012 05:40 PM

Its Cam hes done it in the NFL.

niel89 02-28-2012 05:42 PM

As prospects, Griffen showed be more as a passer and I'm fully confident in his character. After Newtons last season, its going to be real hard for people to remember Cam as an actual prospect.

Ozzy 02-28-2012 05:55 PM

Really surprised by this, Newton's size completely puts him in another category of playmaking ability in the NFL.

FUNBUNCHER 02-28-2012 06:02 PM

I would have Cam's baby, but I think down the road RGIII will develop the ability to mentally process the game the way the very elite QBs do. He's going to be able IMO to out think the very best pass defenses the way Brady/Rodgers/Brees are able to do.

I see more of a film study nerd in RGIII than Newton, but Cam still has the work ethic I believe to be a top 5-10 QB for his career.

Newton IMO is the ultimate gamer; he's just one of those guys who's a pure football player except his chosen position is QB. As he gains more pro experience IMO he's going to figure out ways to beat teams on the fly that aren't put into the game plan or listed on the scouting report.

You give Newton a top 10 defense to play behind him and another playmaker at WR and I think the Panthers will be in the playoffs for the better part of a decade.

But if Grif develops into that rare QB who has Mike Vick-esque physical ability running off Steve Young's brain, I'm betting on that guy 9/10.

It's almost not fair to Newton, I mean what's his 'normal' progression supposed to look like after a rookie year where he throws for 4k, 21 TDs and 17 Ints, 60% completions and rushes for 14 TDs??
Playoffs?? 30+ passing TDs?? 65% completion percentage?? 20 TDs rushing??

I can't chart Cam's career at this point. He's off the radar. His ceiling is unknown and his floor might be just below pro bowl level.

TBH, I'd take both those guys and expect to win a SB in five years.

ATLDirtyBirds 02-28-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 2878570)

.....This.

TACKLE 02-28-2012 06:04 PM

As prospects I probably would have taken Newton over Luck so yes, I would take him over Bob Griffin as well.

San Diego Chicken 02-28-2012 06:38 PM

Hard to say. Newton is the more dominant runner, and makes big plays in the passing game, but he makes stupid decisions too and tries to take on too much at a time.

Griffin is better as a pure passer, more accurate, sees the field better and smarter with the football. But he doesn't have the physical talent Newton has. (I don't care about the 40 yard dash).

I think for my ideal team I would want Griffin but I can't argue with anyone who says Cam was the better prospect.

zachsaints52 02-28-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbuc (Post 2879206)
Its Cam hes done it in the NFL.

But we are talking about prospects....

Funny how many people are saying Cam, but a good chunk of people were against him during the draft (not saying all of you was, but majority)

Complex 02-28-2012 07:06 PM

Cam Newton easily and I am not saying that because of this season, I was on hyping him before the draft.

RGIII

Luck

Wrathman 02-28-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2879237)
It's almost not fair to Newton, I mean what's his 'normal' progression supposed to look like after a rookie year where he throws for 4k, 21 TDs and 17 Ints, 60% completions and rushes for 14 TDs??
Playoffs?? 30+ passing TDs?? 65% completion percentage?? 20 TDs rushing??

I can't chart Cam's career at this point. He's off the radar. His ceiling is unknown and his floor might be just below pro bowl level.

TBH, I'd take both those guys and expect to win a SB in five years.

Cam's "progression" was actually a regression. In the first half of the season, he threw for 2393 yards at 8.3 yards per attempt with 11 TDs and 9 INTs. Over the second half of the year, he threw for 1658 yards at 7.2 yards per attempt, 10 TDs and 8 INTs.

It will be interesting to see whether he can get the upper hand on defenses through the air once again this coming season by making the correct adjustments. This will be the first time he's had to adjust his game, so it's a big step for him. I hope he makes it.

As for the poll, I'm taking RG3.

J-Mike88 02-28-2012 09:27 PM

Can't stand Cam Newton.
Love RG3.

Despite that, I have SEEN NEWTON do great things already in the NFL, whereas RG3 is still totally unknown.

I've seen too many great QBs bust in the NFL.
I know RG3 is NOT a punk (Leaf), lazy (JaMarcus), slow (Carr), soft (Joey Harrington), weak armed (Akili) etc. but I have to vote for a guy I already have seen do some great things, although winning (NFL) was not his forte yet.

Hope I am wrong on this one though.....

LonghornsLegend 02-28-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrathman (Post 2879507)
Cam's "progression" was actually a regression. In the first half of the season, he threw for 2393 yards at 8.3 yards per attempt with 11 TDs and 9 INTs. Over the second half of the year, he threw for 1658 yards at 7.2 yards per attempt, 10 TDs and 8 INTs.

Uhhhh, yea. Of course his 2nd half of the season was a regression, did you expect him to throw for 5000 as a rookie QB with no off-season? Why on earth would you expect anyone in that situation to improve on those numbers?