Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Job Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51315)

josh07039 02-29-2012 02:36 PM

Job Thread

I graduated from college last year and have been working at my first full time job for around 8-9 months now. I currently work for a company that is in logistics, basically shipping stuff around the world for big companies. In my time at this company I have felt mistreated to a crazy extent as has everyone else. I'm just wondering how bad everyone else's job situations are to see if my company is the worst or if it is comparable. From what I have heard from others who have worked other jobs my company is worse than most, but im curious to see what others have to say.

A couple of examples of my company treating us like crap
-30 minute unpaid lunch- Our bosses have issued a "directive" saying that they want us working 8 hours and that our lunch does not count for that time.
-The CEO of the company promised a company wide raise by the end of january and still nothing.
-No Christmas bonus/gift-I dont care about it, but I heard most other companies at least do something
-No respect for religious observance outside of the accepted christian holidays-I had to waste 2 of my 3 personal days for the year for Rosh Hashanah. Im not expecting the company to close down, but I hear a lot of companies will offer one or two days off considered to cover a religious observance.
-And just one last little gesture to demonstrate how vindictive my bosses are. We moved to a new office recently and they assigned what cubicle everyone is to sit at. There is one corner cubicle that is next to the windows and has a little privacy but they purposely left it empty.

These are just the things at the top of my head, but basically I ******* hate my company and would like to hear what other people have to say about their employers.

jayceheathman 02-29-2012 02:39 PM

I work for my university's sports production team. We televise our guys basketball, girls basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, football, and an occasional soccer game through syndicated networks like Fox Sports Arizona, Altitude, ESPN3, and Comcast. It has been a fun gig so far. I know 5 guys I have worked with that now work up in Bristol, CT for ESPN.

TitanHope 02-29-2012 02:46 PM

...this mean I can finally have a TitanHope Thread?

Vox Populi 02-29-2012 02:48 PM

I'm a TA at my university. Its a joke and I feel over paid for how little work I actually have to do.

descendency 02-29-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vox Populi (Post 2880430)
I'm a TA at my university. Its a joke and I feel over paid for how little work I actually have to do.

Graduate or Undergraduate?

brat316 02-29-2012 03:21 PM

isn't there some labor laws about the unpaid lunch?

Damix 02-29-2012 03:28 PM

As many people know I work in the IT Consulting industry. I hop around jobs a lot, but am currently at one of the bigger gov't contractors.

I specialize in data modeling and ETL development for business intelligence solutions. I have recently started getting deeper into new forms of data analysis - mainly in unstructured forms of data.

FlyingElvis 02-29-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh07039 (Post 2880393)
I graduated from college last year and have been working at my first full time job for around 8-9 months now. I currently work for a company that is in logistics, basically shipping stuff around the world for big companies. In my time at this company I have felt mistreated to a crazy extent as has everyone else. I'm just wondering how bad everyone else's job situations are to see if my company is the worst or if it is comparable. From what I have heard from others who have worked other jobs my company is worse than most, but im curious to see what others have to say.

A couple of examples of my company treating us like crap
-30 minute unpaid lunch- Our bosses have issued a "directive" saying that they want us working 8 hours and that our lunch does not count for that time.
-The CEO of the company promised a company wide raise by the end of january and still nothing.
-No Christmas bonus/gift-I dont care about it, but I heard most other companies at least do something
-No respect for religious observance outside of the accepted christian holidays-I had to waste 2 of my 3 personal days for the year for Rosh Hashanah. Im not expecting the company to close down, but I hear a lot of companies will offer one or two days off considered to cover a religious observance.
-And just one last little gesture to demonstrate how vindictive my bosses are. We moved to a new office recently and they assigned what cubicle everyone is to sit at. There is one corner cubicle that is next to the windows and has a little privacy but they purposely left it empty.

These are just the things at the top of my head, but basically I ******* hate my company and would like to hear what other people have to say about their employers.

Life's too short to be miserable at work. With that said, as a recent grad you want to be careful about switching jobs too quickly. Most of that stuff really isn't a big deal. Lunch breaks are usually 30 paid or 60 unpaid - check your labor laws, though, as it varies state to state. Hell, the corner cubicle thing could easily be because they don't want some whiny puke complaining that "so-and-so gets the corner cubicle . . . "

Bonus $$$ and raises . . . meh. The economy sucks. If the company is doing great and they're not sharing the wealth, tough luck. Unless it's in writing, you aren't entitled to any of those things.

Check your state labor laws on the religious observance stuff. If the company is big enough it may not be legal to observe some and not others. Then again, even if they're non-compliant, you don't really want to be the guy stirring the pot and getting the ax. That makes my first point even tougher for you in the long run.

Overall, I'd say you have quite a few topics you've learned need to be discussed in the hiring process. None of these things should be a surprise. If they are, you didn't ask enough questions.

Rob S 02-29-2012 03:38 PM

If you hate your job, suck it up. If you hate it so much that you feel you have to leave, suck it up until you find another job. If you hate a job so much that you can't refrain from quitting until you get a new job, you were probably spoiled as a child. That or you have the shittiest job ever.

Work sucks, get over it.

TACKLE 02-29-2012 03:41 PM

A Job Thread certainly needs this. TH you will get yours soon enough.

josh07039 02-29-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingElvis (Post 2880586)
Life's too short to be miserable at work. With that said, as a recent grad you want to be careful about switching jobs too quickly. Most of that stuff really isn't a big deal. Lunch breaks are usually 30 paid or 60 unpaid - check your labor laws, though, as it varies state to state. Hell, the corner cubicle thing could easily be because they don't want some whiny puke complaining that "so-and-so gets the corner cubicle . . . "

Bonus $$$ and raises . . . meh. The economy sucks. If the company is doing great and they're not sharing the wealth, tough luck. Unless it's in writing, you aren't entitled to any of those things.

Check your state labor laws on the religious observance stuff. If the company is big enough it may not be legal to observe some and not others. Then again, even if they're non-compliant, you don't really want to be the guy stirring the pot and getting the ax. That makes my first point even tougher for you in the long run.

Overall, I'd say you have quite a few topics you've learned need to be discussed in the hiring process. None of these things should be a surprise. If they are, you didn't ask enough questions.

I did ask about most of the stuff and my the person who hired me told me the answers, the higher ups just kinda changed their minds on several things.

As for the cubicle deal, based on how this company operates and how well I understand the bosses, I know for a fact it was a calculated move. I completely get where you are coming from because from an outsiders perspective, many of the things i mentioned can be explained.

For the religious observance issue, im not suggesting the company take off for my hollidays because they are important to me, I am merely suggesting what i have hear many other companies do: giving their employees a few floating personal days for religious observances.

As for the raise, my issue isn't that we didn't get one, my issue is that the CEO held a year end meeting, talked about how much business we gained and how much extra revenue we have been generating and then says we will be getting raises. If he had never broached the subject it wouldnt be an issue to me. Even if he promised and then gave a reason for not giving raises, it would be more acceptable than promising it and then no word on it.

To answer questions about labor laws, if you actually look into state and federal labor laws, protections for employees are very limited. No time for lunch or breaks must be provided. The only things that labor laws seem to be strong on is for child labor.

EDIT: Despite all my complaints, I have a reasonable attitude abut it all. I absolutley hate my job but it doesnt consume me. I am looking for a new job, but I didn't make this thread to be a whiny ***** who wants to abruptly quit like an immature idiot would do. I just was curious for some other people's experiences. I am well aware that I am paid to do my job, not to enjoy it. I know work sucks, but Im wondering how much mine sucks comparably.

jrdrylie 02-29-2012 03:57 PM

I have never had a job where I get paid for lunch. Now if they make you work during your 30-minute lunch, that is not allowed. But if you get 30 minutes to eat lunch where you are not required to work, why should you get paid for that?

Raiderz4Life 02-29-2012 04:02 PM

My job has 2 owners. I just want to say....I absolutely can not stand one of them. He's beyond stupid, he'd be flipping burgers or still repairing elevators if he had not been lucky to have my good boss as his partner.

General Zod 02-29-2012 04:06 PM

I currently work as a graphics consultant for various printing facilities all over the midwest. I worked for Pantone Inc. for several years doing similar with advertisement consulting on color theory.

No real complaints here. I dont have set hours or "punch a clock" I go for days without seeing my boss. And I get to do a little traveling as well.

JoeJoeBrown 02-29-2012 04:10 PM

Color theory is a fascinating field. Crazy how difficult it really is in translating image integrity across all sorts of visual platforms (all sorts of different monitors, all sorts of different printers, all sorts of different capture technology, etc...)

stephenson86 02-29-2012 04:10 PM

[Thumbs up] I work at Enterprise Rent-a-Car in Manchester Airport UK, I work about 55+ hours a week spread over 5 days. I get 16,500 per year in salary however I average about 1,400 after tax each month because of over time, 150 anti-social hours bonus. I rent cars theoretically but the ulterior motive is to train you to become an Assistant Manager, to then move to Branch Manager and beyond into the company. The pay sucks now, but if you do well you can be earning upwards of 30,000 in two years. I really enjoy my job, quite lucky really as everyone I know hates theirs. I would recommend the Enterprise Management Trainee graduate scheme as a career opportunity for anyone under the age of 25 with a strong degree. It's the 4th most profitable privately owned company in the world, it is always expanding and the opportunities for promotion and money is immense. [/Thumbs up]

fischbowl 02-29-2012 04:15 PM

I get paid to watch Minor League Baseball on a daily basis. No complaints are too be had

General Zod 02-29-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown (Post 2880703)
Color theory is a fascinating field. Crazy how difficult it really is in translating image integrity across all sorts of visual platforms (all sorts of different monitors, all sorts of different printers, all sorts of different capture technology, etc...)

And the platforms are virtually endless with technology of today. Thats what keep things interesting for me.

DoughBoy 02-29-2012 06:00 PM

Work a week in retail and everything else looks like a dream job. Fast food sucks just as much, I am the rare student who cant wait to get out of college.

Jimmy 02-29-2012 07:00 PM

I work at one of 3 Converse retail stores in all the land. In Boston.

What a ******* awesome job, regardless of it being retail. Love it. This place feels homey.

The_Dude 02-29-2012 07:08 PM

summer vacation, baby. summer vacation for life.

Finz99 02-29-2012 07:19 PM

I'm about to graduate college and I have a couple opportunities coming up...

I have a second interview with a logistics company out in Arizona, Coca-Cola, and a small wholesale supplier. Got to keep those options open. Although I would much rather just win the lottery and not have to work and have a lifelong summer vacation.

eaglesalltheway 02-29-2012 09:53 PM

Just be glad you don't work with your family, lol. It has its perks, but every single day is aggravating as hell when you work with your (slightly irrational at times) father.

wogitalia 02-29-2012 10:05 PM

I'm an accountant, it's as boring as rumoured and the pay is ****(~75k) but on a positive I get 4 weeks annual leave and 10 sick days all of which I attempt to use as they are non-vesting and I don't have to work hard(hence why I can post on here) and we have basically no IT department or anything like that to block websites and the people I work with are generally good value(there are always a few peanuts anywhere you work that make you want to kill a kitten when they talk).

Overall I'm currently doing some post graduate study in order to get the qualifications to get out and start earning some real money.

Ngatachance92 02-29-2012 10:21 PM

I watch test batteries before they are sent into space. The tests basically run themselves so most of my time is spent on here or finding random ways to amuse myself.