Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   If Russell Wilson Was Taller? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51389)

Master Exploder 03-03-2012 09:27 AM

If Russell Wilson Was Taller?

I'm curious as to where you guys think Russell Wilson's draft stock would be if he was measured in the 6'2-6'4 area. Of course this is all hypothetical, but it is obviously the big knock on him. Being 5'11 definitely has it's disadvantages for a QB, but I've watched so much of this guy recently and there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot that he's not good at to me.

Size is a huge factor for QB's and a lot of teams are going to take him off their boards altogether, but somebody is going to take a chance on him in the mid-to-late rounds. However, I've been trying to watch as many games as I can on the QB's in this draft and when I came to Russell Wilson I was thoroughly impressed. To me, he has all of the tools to be successful except for the big, giant elephant in to room.

So, hypothetically speaking, ignoring size or imagining a world where he was taller. Where would you guys rank him among the QB's in this draft in comparison with ability and potential?

SuperPacker 03-03-2012 09:40 AM

He'd probably be going 1st round.

papageorgio 03-03-2012 10:09 AM

He would be a top 10 pick. He is better than Tannehill that's for sure. I hope the Bills get him with one of their 4ths.

OSUGiants17 03-03-2012 10:16 AM

Sadly he isn't taller. A lot of QBs would be better if they were taller or faster or had a better arm. Russell Wilson doesn't have the size to be an NFL QB.

SuperPacker 03-03-2012 10:21 AM

I really like Wilson as a prospect. You can tell from his interviews he is a smart guy and that he cares about football. I haven't got a problem with his size, his arm is stong enough to overcome it, my only problem is that his only productive season was at Wisconsin. That is the best place a quarterback could ever play. Their offensive line is quality and he can rely on the run game.

I would of been nice to see him do it for another season, but unfortunatley he ran out of years in college.

SolidGold 03-03-2012 10:30 AM

Great college QB, can carve out a niche as a solid backup QB/spot starter.

also +++ rep to the person who gave us that lovely skeelo diagram

Master Exploder 03-03-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 (Post 2884692)

Sadly he isn't taller. A lot of QBs would be better if they were taller or faster or had a better arm. Russell Wilson doesn't have the size to be an NFL QB.

That picture is awesome.

bored of education 03-03-2012 11:00 AM

I hate threads like this, who cares about if this guy was taller blah blah blah

Master Exploder 03-03-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored of education (Post 2884761)
I hate threads like this, who cares about if this guy was taller blah blah blah

Well, there's lots of guys who are successful in the NFL who are undersized. The biggest knock against him is his height, which is reasonable and it's going to keep him out of being one of the top 5 QB's selected in the draft.

I'm not making that argument. I'm just curious if I'm the only one who thinks his arm, accuracy, decision making, and athleticism are on par with what a team would look for in a potential starting QB. I'm sure being taller would help a lot of prospects draft-wise, but I'm not trying to make that argument. I'm just curious if other people think that he possesses the tools of a top QB prospect disregarding height.

Take Kellen Moore or Colt McCoy for instance. Both are undersized, but even if they were taller, I don't see them possessing the tools of a top QB prospect. I think Russell Wilson does however and I'm curious if other people feel the same way. Obviously nobody is going to touch him early, but he's extremely intriguing to me.

SchizophrenicBatman 03-03-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2884697)
my only problem is that his only productive season was at Wisconsin.

wat

SF Dolphin Fan 03-03-2012 11:51 AM

I think an extra three inches in height would make a huge difference for Wilson and might put him in the 1st round discussion. I like him as well and he could be a steal late in the draft.

ncst8fan83 03-03-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2884697)
I really like Wilson as a prospect. You can tell from his interviews he is a smart guy and that he cares about football. I haven't got a problem with his size, his arm is stong enough to overcome it, my only problem is that his only productive season was at Wisconsin. That is the best place a quarterback could ever play. Their offensive line is quality and he can rely on the run game.

I would of been nice to see him do it for another season, but unfortunatley he ran out of years in college.

You obviously only looked at his one season at Wisconsin then.

dmoneyrockin 03-03-2012 01:33 PM

People already beat me to it, but I find the need to drive home how good Wilson was for 3 years at NC State.

Ultimately the hieght is the biggest knock on Wilson, but thats not gonna change. In the end I see him having a nice career as a reliable backup, and be in the league longer than some guys getting some first round hype.

Clarkw267 03-03-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman (Post 2884826)
wat

After seeing several of this guy's posts that make absolutely no sense... I've come to the conclusion that he just doesn't even watch football.

And btw Batman.. I'm not talking about you, rather the guy that claimed Wilson's only productive season was at Wisconsin.

underscore 03-03-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Classic. Very classic

FUNBUNCHER 03-03-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Did I just see a silhouette of a tranny??

Yes I did.
OMFG.

RaiderNation 03-03-2012 05:26 PM

If Wilson was say 6'2 I'd think he may be a Andy Dalton type prospect. 2nd round value that could start from day 1. Doesn't offer elite upside, and can be a starter on a winning team.

But with Wilson being short we all know his stock will be much lower. I still think he gets drafted in the 4-6 range possibly, depending on how high the QB's ranked 3-6 go.

Vaylor 03-03-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2885336)
Did I just see a silhouette of a tranny??

Yes I did.
OMFG.

That is her left foot.

Mufasa 03-03-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaylor (Post 2885416)
That is her left foot.

Well if that's what you want to call it then I guess I've stuck my left foot in a lot of women.

jackalope 03-03-2012 06:26 PM

I'm really hoping Green Bay drafts this guy at some point on day three.

No doubt overcoming his height would be a big accomplishment, but there's a couple things worth noting. Wilson played behind a very big offensive line at Wisconsin that is probably taller than most NFL lines. Wilson only had three passes batted down last year. For comparison Brock Osweiler (6'7") had 19.

Babylon 03-03-2012 07:08 PM

And if i had another couple of inches i could have been something too.

Ngatachance92 03-03-2012 07:20 PM

If I had a horn I would be a ******* Rhino...

Raiderz4Life 03-03-2012 07:24 PM

If I was a sagittarius i'd be hung like a horse...

niel89 03-03-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 2885366)
If Wilson was say 6'2 I'd think he may be a Andy Dalton type prospect. 2nd round value that could start from day 1. Doesn't offer elite upside, and can be a starter on a winning team.

But with Wilson being short we all know his stock will be much lower. I still think he gets drafted in the 4-6 range possibly, depending on how high the QB's ranked 3-6 go.

If he had the height, I could really see the early 2nd just like Dalton. He is a good player and I think that he is going to make a team happy with him as the #2. I wouldn't hate if my team grabbed him in the 5th or 6th to develop as a long term back up.

PossibleCabbage 03-03-2012 08:13 PM

Is this the general hypothetical thread?

Like, if Dontari Poe had 40" arms and ran a 4.3 would you take him ahead of Luck or Griffin?