Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What's Up with All the Tannihill Love on NFL Network? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51480)

Iamcanadian 03-09-2012 10:40 AM

What's Up with All the Tannihill Love on NFL Network?
 
When I look at Luck and Griffin who both went to unsuccessful college programs and turned them around and then examine Tannihill's production, he just doesn't seem like that solid of a prospect.

Yet on NFL Network, some have him going as high as #4 to Cleveland in the draft or #6 to Washington or #8 to Miami. They say he is a sure fire top 10 pick?????

He cannot workout in the post season because of surgery, yet he seems to be climbing more everyday. I know teams are desperate to fill the need at QB but if he couldn't turn Texas A&M around, how is he going to turn a NFL franchise around?????

Could this be the most over hyped prospect of all time. It is sure going to be interesting following his pro career.

Scott Wright 03-09-2012 10:44 AM

I've been wondering why there has been such a lack of hype for a quarterback who is going to be selected in the top dozen picks. Could go #4, #6, #8 or #12.

JoeJoeBrown 03-09-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2892584)
I've been wondering why there has been such a lack of hype for a quarterback who is going to be selected in the top dozen picks. Could go #4, #6, #8 or #12.

He was a mediocre to crappy QB at A&M.

He will be an entirely mediocre to crappy QB in the NFL.

Iamcanadian 03-09-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown (Post 2892590)
He was a mediocre to crappy QB at A&M.

He will be an entirely mediocre to crappy QB in the NFL.

I think he is way over hyped but I wouldn't totally write off his career just yet.

vidae 03-09-2012 11:01 AM

He hasn't played QB very long, but there is a LOT to like there, and a LOT of potential upside.

Write him off if you want, but that would be a mistake.

gpngc 03-09-2012 11:11 AM

One QB does not turn a program around in 1.5 years. Especially with an awful head coach going up against RG3, Stoops, Brown, and Gundy.

steelersrock151 03-09-2012 11:18 AM

Last year proved that if there's a qb with a chance to be a starter, you have to go with him. Too many good qbs slipping in the draft for years before that because of other needs. But with the changes that have been made to the rules, that starting qb becomes much more vital a cog. Watching Rogers and some other #2 qbs being drafted in the high teens and 20's, no one wants to pass on the qb who could be a star. Also, with the new rookie wage scale, its a lot less costly to cut a qb project as a loser after 3 years, rather than have a huge rookie contract to eat.

Iamcanadian 03-09-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2892623)
One QB does not turn a program around in 1.5 years. Especially with an awful head coach going up against RG3, Stoops, Brown, and Gundy.

RG111 came to a program that was as far behind Texas A&M as you can get, yet he turned Baylor around. Tannihill didn't and it raises red flags for me.
IMO, Stoops and Brown are great recruiters but hardly great HC's, who rely almost entirely on superior talent to win. Oklahoma St. easily passed them once they got their talent base up to snuff and Baylor could eventually match or pass them as well. Again, Texas A&M failed under Tannihill's leadership, WHY????

gpngc 03-09-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2892640)
RG111 came to a program that was as far behind Texas A&M as you can get, yet he turned Baylor around. Tannihill didn't and it raises red flags for me.
IMO, Stoops and Brown are great recruiters but hardly great HC's, who rely almost entirely on superior talent to win. Oklahoma St. easily passed them once they got their talent base up to snuff and Baylor could eventually match or pass them as well. Again, Texas A&M failed under Tannihill's leadership, WHY????

RG3 did that in 4 years on campus. Again, Tannehill switched to QB in 2010 in the middle of the season.

If you want to criticize him based on Texas A&M's lack of team success, the only decent argument is this season (which was his first full year of playing QB).

You can't criticize his inability to build a program. He was the QB for one offseason and one season. Come on.

metafour 03-09-2012 11:28 AM

You'd think that people would learn from the Gabbert disaster of last year.

bruschis4all 03-09-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2892640)
RG111 came to a program that was as far behind Texas A&M as you can get, yet he turned Baylor around. Tannihill didn't and it raises red flags for me.
IMO, Stoops and Brown are great recruiters but hardly great HC's, who rely almost entirely on superior talent to win. Oklahoma St. easily passed them once they got their talent base up to snuff and Baylor could eventually match or pass them as well. Again, Texas A&M failed under Tannihill's leadership, WHY????

You can't blame him for A&M's lack of success. They were forced to move him to qb in 2010 because the starter sucked. Look at the points allowed in their losses; 30, 42, 38, 41 and 53. Lost to Texas on a last second fg 27-25 after leading aggies to go-ahead drive. You have to look at players individually. Not as part of a teams success/failure.

I don't think he's a great prospect. Too raw to evaluate right now. But, Gil Brandt has him at nr. 7 and he made a pretty good living drafting players.

gpngc 03-09-2012 11:30 AM

And although Tannehill's Aggies didn't rise to National prominence, their season was fairly successful (again, with a ******** coach).

They only lost one game to an unranked team, and he threw six TDs against the Baylor squad your boy RG3 built up so well.

I just don't think that "building up your college program" is something NFL evaluators care at all about. Especially in the case of Tanny, who, again, had one offseason and one season as the guy.

I_C_DeadPeople 03-09-2012 11:34 AM

NFL Network and the fans are probably tired of hearing the obvious - Luck and RGIII are #1 and #2 picks - there is little intrigue left with these 2 (other than the Rams trading out). So the move to the next guy in the high profile position and play him up, they are just keeping the interest there for draft day.

metafour 03-09-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2892655)
and he threw six TDs against the Baylor squad your boy RG3 built up so well.

Pretty sure Griffin doesn't play defense. Baylor is an offensive team; I put zero value in Tannihill lighting their defense up. Who didn't score on Baylor this year? Baylor's defensive rankings this year?

102 rushing defense
102 pass efficiency defense
116 total defense
113 scoring defense

IE: you're looking at one of the absolute worst defenses in the country.

gpngc 03-09-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metafour (Post 2892651)
You'd think that people would learn from the Gabbert disaster of last year.

Yes because they are the exact same prospect. Because the NFL draft always repeats itself. It's so easy to analyze, especially QBs, because same conference, similar stats, physical attritubes, and similar internet progression up imaginary, inconsequential internet boards means SAME RESULT.

Just ignore all the circumstances and do not, for ANY reason actually analyze the individual player - his tools, his skills, his strengths, his weaknesses, his demeanor, his intangibles, and his film.

Instead, hold on to one or two similarities that he's had with a bust, make that comparison, and hope he sucks also.

I've watched them both. Tannehill's better. He's got more moxie. And he doesn't have what's been Gabbert's #1 problem - the propensity to be a little ***** in the face of the pass rush.

JoeJoeBrown 03-09-2012 11:35 AM

He's way too raw. I just don't understand the hype.

vidae 03-09-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metafour (Post 2892651)
You'd think that people would learn from the Gabbert disaster of last year.

This is what people do. Someone says they don't like a prospect for x reason, and then someone comes out of left field with something as ridiculous as this.

He is not Blaine Gabbert. He won't be Blaine Gabbert. After a year he's so far ahead of Blaine Gabbert that it's ridiculous.

JoeJoeBrown 03-09-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2892664)
Yes because they are the exact same prospect. Because the NFL draft always repeats itself. It's so easy to analyze, especially QBs, because same conference, similar stats, physical attritubes, and similar internet progression up imaginary, inconsequential internet boards means SAME RESULT.

Just ignore all the circumstances and do not, for ANY reason actually analyze the individual player - his tools, his skills, his strengths, his weaknesses, his demeanor, his intangibles, and his film.

Instead, hold on to one or two similarities that he's had with a bust, make that comparison, and hope he sucks also.

I've watched them both. Tannehill's better. He's got more moxie. And he doesn't have what's been Gabbert's #1 problem - the propensity to be a little ***** in the face of the pass rush.

You say all of that and then say he's got more moxie??!?! LOL, that just killed a reasoned takedown of his post.

The kid is raw, is inaccurate, and makes a ton of mental mistakes. He is nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. He will be eaten alive. Maybe in three or four years with a good QB coach he will be ready. No way can he step on a field in 6 months and do well.

gpngc 03-09-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metafour (Post 2892663)
Pretty sure Griffin doesn't play defense. Baylor is an offensive team; I put zero value in Tannihill lighting their defense up. Who didn't score on Baylor this year? Baylor's defensive rankings this year?

102 rushing defense
102 pass efficiency defense
116 total defense
113 scoring defense

IE: you're looking at one of the absolute worst defenses in the country.

His argument is that Tanny didn't build up a program but RG3 did. It doesn't go deeper than the result of when the two teams met this year.

I know Baylor's D sucked but it sounds a little biased to put ZERO value in a conference game. I find it important to evaluate performance in all games, especially with QBs. This is evidence that he can tear up bad defenses, which, last I checked, is something NFL QBs need to do. And that's just on the surface, when you watch the game you see his arm strength, accuracy, footwork, intangibles. But that doesn't matter because Baylor sucks.

JoeJoeBrown 03-09-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 2892669)
This is what people do. Someone says they don't like a prospect for x reason, and then someone comes out of left field with something as ridiculous as this.

He is not Blaine Gabbert. He won't be Blaine Gabbert. After a year he's so far ahead of Blaine Gabbert that it's ridiculous.

The infatuation of some NFL people with Gabbert also shows just how wrong those people can be. They panic and reach for crappy QBs.

JoeJoeBrown 03-09-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2892674)
His argument is that Tanny didn't build up a program but RG3 did. It doesn't go deeper than the result of when the two teams met this year.

I know Baylor's D sucked but it sounds a little biased to put ZERO value in a conference game. I find it important to evaluate performance in all games, especially with QBs. This is evidence that he can tear up bad defenses, which, last I checked, is something NFL QBs need to do. And that's just on the surface, when you watch the game you see his arm strength, accuracy, footwork, intangibles. But that doesn't matter because Baylor sucks.

You can't compare Baylor's abysmal defense with the worst defense in the NFL at all. The worst defense in the NFL is still quantum levels better than the best defense in college.

SolidGold 03-09-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2892572)
When I look at Luck and Griffin who both went to unsuccessful college programs and turned them around and then examine Tannihill's production, he just doesn't seem like that solid of a prospect.

Yet on NFL Network, some have him going as high as #4 to Cleveland in the draft or #6 to Washington or #8 to Miami. They say he is a sure fire top 10 pick?????

He cannot workout in the post season because of surgery, yet he seems to be climbing more everyday. I know teams are desperate to fill the need at QB but if he couldn't turn Texas A&M around, how is he going to turn a NFL franchise around?????

Could this be the most over hyped prospect of all time. It is sure going to be interesting following his pro career.

He will be working out at A&Ms second pro day at the end of March. Tannehill has the intelligence and measureables scouts/front office types covet. I think the dropped passes, coaching issues and defense giving up huge leads have all been discussed ad nauseum.

metafour 03-09-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 2892669)
This is what people do. Someone says they don't like a prospect for x reason, and then someone comes out of left field with something as ridiculous as this.

He is not Blaine Gabbert. He won't be Blaine Gabbert. After a year he's so far ahead of Blaine Gabbert that it's ridiculous.

Raw QB that cant even win in college playing for a good program being propped up by his "upside" and "physical tools". I wasn't saying that he is exactly Gabbert; but if you cant see the huge red-flags there then I dont know what to say.

Blew a 17-point halftime lead against Arkansas this season and lost.
Blew a 17-point halftime lead against Oklahoma State this season and lost.
Blew an 11-point halftime lead against Missouri this season and lost.
Blew a 9-point halftime lead against an average Texas team this season and lost.

That sounds like a Top 10 QB to me. /sarcasm

bruschis4all 03-09-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metafour (Post 2892687)
Raw QB that cant even win in college playing for a good program being propped up by his "upside" and "physical tools". I wasn't saying that he is exactly Gabbert; but if you cant see the huge red-flags there then I dont know what to say.

Blew a 17-point halftime lead against Arkansas this season and lost.
Blew a 17-point halftime lead against Oklahoma State this season and lost.
Blew an 11-point halftime lead against Missouri this season and lost.
Blew a 9-point halftime lead against an average Texas team this season and lost.

That sounds like a Top 10 QB to me. /sarcasm

I guess he can't cover or tackle well/sarcasm

gpngc 03-09-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown (Post 2892679)
You can't compare Baylor's abysmal defense with the worst defense in the NFL at all. The worst defense in the NFL is still quantum levels better than the best defense in college.

So throw out the Baylor game film, right? Just throw it out. We don't need to see him when he can stand tall in the pocket, read the defense easily, and has confidence.

By that logic, there would be no combine or pro days either.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.