Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Colts Cut Entire Starting Line-Up (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51487)

Jimmy 03-09-2012 04:49 PM

Colts Cut Entire Starting Line-Up

Source says Colts have terminated contracts of Gary Brackett, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai, and Melvin Bullitt.

more moves from Colts expected soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ianapolis-too/

edit: http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...%7CFRONTPA GE

SuperPacker 03-09-2012 04:50 PM

Free Agency Thread

descendency 03-09-2012 05:01 PM

They should just ask the league to give them an SEC team and let them take their starters.

VernonLawson89 03-09-2012 05:10 PM

Poor Andrew Luck

SuperPacker 03-09-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VernonLawson89 (Post 2893242)
Poor Andrew Luck

he'll probably end up pulling an eli an refusing to go to indy. that would be funny :lol:

falloutboy14 03-09-2012 05:12 PM

Hopefully they can get him an offensive line in the draft. If they can run the ball well (they did last year) he should be able to survive. That said, Colts are going to have a ton of money to spend next off-season.

Sloopy 03-09-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falloutboy14 (Post 2893246)
Hopefully they can get him an offensive line in the draft. If they can run the ball well (they did last year) he should be able to survive. That said, Colts are going to have a ton of money to spend next off-season.

I think a lot of draft picks will need to be used to acquire peaces for that new defensive scheme.

Although this certainly doesn't help the situation.

SolidGold 03-09-2012 05:19 PM

Fleener might be following Luck to Indy to be his safety valve at the top of round 2

SuperPacker 03-09-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 2893252)
Fleener might be following Luck to Indy to be his safety valve at the top of round 2

this is now my 4th wish for the offseason.

FUNBUNCHER 03-09-2012 08:09 PM

I thought the Colts LIKED Andrew Luck??lol

I see a rough rookie season ahead for the 'franchise'.

Philliez01 03-09-2012 08:20 PM

This makes me sad.

Ness 03-09-2012 08:33 PM

Well, it was a good run for the Colts.

descendency 03-09-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2893243)
he'll probably end up pulling an eli an refusing to go to indy. that would be funny :lol:

The colts should have signed him before they made these cuts...

killxswitch 03-09-2012 08:41 PM

If you look at it rationally, these cuts make a ton of sense and don't hurt Luck at all.

Bracket - old, slow, small, and already replaced by Pat Angerer. Massively overpaid. Terrible contract by Bill Polian.

Clark - completely crumbled when Manning didn't play. Dropped every 3rd pass that hit him in the hands. He is a Manning creation. Both Wayne and Garcon stepped up and had 900+ yard seasons. Clark was pathetic, he's over 30, he can't block, and he's gotten hurt a lot. No big loss.

Addai - Lots of wear and tear, not fast, and his knowledge of the Manning offense was his best trait. Overpaid. I like him, he is the toughest loss, but he's a RB. He's replaceable.

Bullitt - Has a glass shoulder and he should've never been paid starter money. Another zero-impact cut.

Meanwhile these cuts free up $25 million in new cap space for 2013.

ShutDwn 03-09-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 2893441)
If you look at it rationally, these cuts make a ton of sense and don't hurt Luck at all.

Bracket - old, slow, small, and already replaced by Pat Angerer. Massively overpaid. Terrible contract by Bill Polian.

Clark - completely crumbled when Manning didn't play. Dropped every 3rd pass that hit him in the hands. He is a Manning creation. Both Wayne and Garcon stepped up and had 900+ yard seasons. Clark was pathetic, he's over 30, he can't block, and he's gotten hurt a lot. No big loss.

Addai - Lots of wear and tear, not fast, and his knowledge of the Manning offense was his best trait. Overpaid. I like him, he is the toughest loss, but he's a RB. He's replaceable.

Bullitt - Has a glass shoulder and he should've never been paid starter money. Another zero-impact cut.

Meanwhile these cuts free up $25 million in new cap space for 2013.

The biggest hit is lossing leadership, but with a rebuilding team I think it can be good to cut ties with some guys to let new leadership grow. I hope the Colts develop a new attitude and this is a good first step.

Hurricanes25 03-09-2012 09:20 PM

I agree with killxswitch. They opened up a ton of cap space and I don't think they lost much at all. They got rid of a lot of dead weight.

BradysKnee 03-09-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 (Post 2893487)
I agree with killxswitch. They opened up a ton of cap space and I don't think they lost much at all. They got rid of a lot of dead weight.

Yea he's right. Good moves IMO.

niel89 03-09-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDwn (Post 2893471)
The biggest hit is lossing leadership, but with a rebuilding team I think it can be good to cut ties with some guys to let new leadership grow. I hope the Colts develop a new attitude and this is a good first step.

Good call. As long as they have younger guys that can step up to the leadership roles then these were fine moves. Not having some locker room leaders really hurts a team and can leave them directionless, especially when they are losing a bunch (which the Colts will be for the next year or two.)

zachsaints52 03-09-2012 11:24 PM

Killxswitch hit the nail on the head. Luck isn't losing much.

They still have Saturday, right?

vidae 03-09-2012 11:29 PM

I thought Saturday was a FA.

zachsaints52 03-09-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 2893788)
I thought Saturday was a FA.

If so.... this could be really bad. If your relying on your two DE/OLBS(?) and Diem (he still there?) to be the only locker room leaders, somethings gonna happen

niel89 03-09-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachsaints52 (Post 2893776)
Killxswitch hit the nail on the head. Luck isn't losing much.

They still have Saturday, right?

I'm pretty sure Saturday is a FA and/or might retire.

Looking at the Colts offensive depth chart, I see Castonzo and that's about it. I don't know about any of the other OL, but there isn't anything at WR, TE, or RB of note. The offense is almost nonexistent.

Luck will just grow another gnarly neck beard that lead the team.

zachsaints52 03-09-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 2893792)

Looking at the Colts offensive depth chart, I see Castonzo and that's about it. I don't know about any of the other OL, but there isn't anything at WR, TE, or RB of note. The offense is almost nonexistent.

I know Mike Pollack is there too, and that guy from Tennessee with the long last name.

RCAChainGang 03-10-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 2893792)

Well Ijialana is there and will probably play G or T along with Diem probably playing G.

Jacob Tamme can be a legitimate target at TE

Anthony Gonzo and Austin Collie aren't too reliable as far as injuries go, but they are there at WR

RB we have Darren Evans who showed promise along with Delone Carter and Donald Brown. I really don't like Brown, but you go with what you got.

With that said I wouldn't be surprised to see us use our early picks on D and look for competent people to fill in this season at WR, Oline, and use RB committee.

TitanHope 03-10-2012 04:10 AM

The Colts' entire starting lineup went 2-14 last season, so the thread title should be read as a positive thing. Even with Luck, the Colts don't have much of an immediate future with these players (not that they really have one without them). But, the light is down the tunnel 3-4 years from now, so if they cut the vet waste, make improvements responsibly through FA, and draft talented players who can grow with and around Luck, they can make the run at that point. Although, their re-signing of Robert Mathis probably doesn't fall into the middle of that, but hey, you should always re-sign your good players and by the time they hit that 3-4 year mark, the cap increase and TV money will be hitting.