Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Who Wants a Lead Blocker? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51988)

Caulibflower 04-06-2012 04:17 AM

Who Wants a Lead Blocker?

ATLDirtyBirds 04-06-2012 08:23 AM

Yes. I definitely don't make it a habit of scouting fullbacks too often, but I definitely like this kid.

SolidGold 04-06-2012 11:40 AM

Pretty impressive video. I think he is strictly a pure blocking FB with not as much versatility/H-Back type potential (he is a Vonta Leach/Lawrence Vickers type) . I know fullbacks are supposedly a dying breed but they really are not (its a retread argument every year). They are devalued just like RBs and the rise of the passing game but plenty of teams use pure FBs and they will always have a role in the NFL.

K Train 04-06-2012 11:49 AM

love him. he doesnt miss blocks and is just a hammer. have him mocked to the steelers in the 5th

GallopingGhost 04-06-2012 11:49 AM

Kids a beast... reminds me of John Connor.

ChiefMojo 04-06-2012 12:03 PM

In next years draft, watch out for Kansas State fullback Braden Wilson. Wilson is 6'3", 255-pounds and a tremendous lead blocker. Definitely a throwback like Diehl.

A interesting tidbit is that once Wilson is gone after next season, the expected fullback for Kansas State is Glen Gronkowski... the youngest of the Gronkowski brothers.

eaglesalltheway 04-06-2012 12:06 PM

Guy knows how to lay people out, that's for sure. One thing you don't like to see out of a lead blocker (especially if its a pure blocking FB) is how often he ends up on the ground. He uses a lot of his upper body and not enough legs sometimes, and he ends up on the ground. That you don't want, unless he ends up on the ground because he plowed through someone. Those are present in this video as well though, so its just a matter of him perfecting his technique and utilizing his lower body more consistently. He's got a future in the NFL for some team, that's for sure.

Don Vito 04-06-2012 12:47 PM

He knocks the **** out of people

vidae 04-06-2012 12:51 PM

I think the Chiefs could be in the market for a pure blocking FB. Shane Bannon is more of a do it all type guy.

Dan_Steele 04-06-2012 12:54 PM

There are plenty of goof fullbacks in college who can hammer a linebacker in an ISO in a small space up the middle. What really impresses me about Deihl is his ability to take care of his aggignments in space. That takes great sterength, but it also takes great athleticism to be able to square away on those guys and get to them quickly.

phlysac 04-06-2012 01:40 PM

Reminds me of Quinn Johnson.

Diehard 04-06-2012 01:50 PM

Seems like forever since the Broncos had a guy like this on the roster. I know Manning loves those 11 and 12 personnel groupings, but hopefully Fox and McCoy can integrate some I / offset-I runs and playaction, then pick up a young bull like this guy to lead block.

Hurricanes25 04-06-2012 01:52 PM

Watched 45 seconds and that's all I needed to see. Wow, that was impressive. He does kind of remind me of John Connor a little bit.

steelersrock151 04-06-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 2937157)
love him. he doesnt miss blocks and is just a hammer. have him mocked to the steelers in the 5th

Too many needs, unless Haley decides to make all of the Steelr fans happy and runs a real two back offense (not one back and David Johnson). I could see using one of our 7th round picks on him, and a kicker

Razor 04-06-2012 01:59 PM

I'm in love... He would look great in a Pats uni.

Caulibflower 04-06-2012 02:15 PM

He's going to be one of those guys who doesn't get drafted high because he can't do a lot with the ball in his hands, but whatever team brings him into training camp will be saying, "Daaaaaaamn..."

He'll stick. I'm sure Pete Carroll would love him, but we just re-signed a Pro Bowler at the position, so it seems unlikely. Although Diehl's going to have a lot of special teams value, too. Is the 4th too high for a guy like that? I'm trying to think of where Mericec went last year. Not a ball-carrier by any stretch, but a powerful lead blocker, and can contribute on special teams on both coverage and return units. Hell, Diehl could probably play a little linebacker, too, if he was asked.

SolidGold 04-06-2012 02:21 PM

Marecic was a 4th rounder. I am sure the Texans will take a long look at him. It's also cool just watching a highlight video of a dude just running into people.

YAYareaRB 04-06-2012 02:22 PM

you gotta be one tough hombre to play fullback and play it well. love it

Caulibflower 04-06-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 (Post 2937308)
Watched 45 seconds and that's all I needed to see. Wow, that was impressive. He does kind of remind me of John Connor a little bit.

Right about where he knocks a guy's helmet off? :-)

Brent 04-06-2012 06:52 PM

Pretty impressive, too bad that o-line wasnt blocking for ****.

Don Vito 04-06-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 2937543)
Pretty impressive, too bad that o-line wasnt blocking for ****.

Yeah he was demolishing people and the running back was still getting stuffed in the backfield, and a pretty damn good college RB at that in Spiller.

He'll be a Jet. 7 fullbacks and Tebow isn't enough to go into camp with.

CashmoneyDrew 04-06-2012 06:58 PM

The Tits sure could use one.

Caulibflower 04-06-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 2937547)
Yeah he was demolishing people and the running back was still getting stuffed in the backfield, and a pretty damn good college RB at that in Spiller.

He'll be a Jet. 7 fullbacks and Tebow isn't enough to go into camp with.

I am quite excited to see Tebow running behind John Connor. Because we all know he's going to the Jets because Rex Ryan probably can't imagine anything cooler than a QB who's actually a fullback. And trucks people. And appreciates the value of a goddamn snack.

CDCB14 04-06-2012 07:24 PM

This video makes me wonder even more how fullback's aren't out for the season with concussions after week 2... they run full speed into other men who are 250 pounds 30+ times a game. How are Vontae Leach, Tony Richardson, etc. already not vegetables laying in a hospital bed?

I'm serious though... how can these guys do that every game for 5+ years and other guys get concussions and other head injuries after one hit? I know a lot of them a unlucky and some can be really bad... but I still don't get how fullbacks survive..

K Train 04-06-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelersrock151 (Post 2937310)
Too many needs, unless Haley decides to make all of the Steelr fans happy and runs a real two back offense (not one back and David Johnson). I could see using one of our 7th round picks on him, and a kicker

haley went after leron mcclain, id like to see a RB and FB drafted, they are crippled there without mendenhall. run game could be historically terrible this year