Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What is Devon Still Lacking? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52016)

Bobo 04-08-2012 02:25 AM

What is Devon Still Lacking?
 
I have very little to go by since I didn't see much college ball this year. I've seen a few games of a few top DT's, seen highlights, and of course there's stats and all the pre-draft poking and prodding. The one guy that seems to have fallen and may be a bit underrated to me is Still. Is it the turf toe? Maybe he's inconsistent (his stats beat most DT's fwiw). Something else? I'd like to hear some opinions from those who've seen him a lot, even if it's biased Penn fans :)

cmarq83 04-08-2012 07:44 AM

One of the biggest things I see with Still is that he doesn't use his hands well to lock himself out from offensive lineman. This prevents him from being able to disengage well, and is a huge flaw for any team that would want him to 2 gap.

Sloopy 04-08-2012 08:42 AM

I think the biggest thing that he is lacks is any sense of pass rush.

I know that Brockers and Poe do as well but Poe has the size and athleticism/potential to be dominant (and in many schemes) and Brockers only being a sophomore with nice size provides a great deal of potential as well.

Cox moves up boards as probably the best pass rusher of this DT class and may be the first off the board for that reason if teams aren't as sold on Poe's and Brockers' potential.

essentially, at worst Still is probably the #4 DT on most people's boards if not higher depending on ones preference for production vs potential.

cajuncorey 04-08-2012 02:13 PM

i dont see what hes lacking... He is nasty

TheFinisher 04-08-2012 02:26 PM

Inconsistent motor, there are stretches when he's motivated where he hands down looks like the best DT in the class but then he'll disappear and take plays off. Ton of talent there though, if he lands in the right situation with a strong locker room and coaching staff he could be one of the best 3Ts in the league.

Matthew Jones 04-08-2012 02:29 PM

The positives for Still are his size, length, and the burst off of the snap when he's motivated. Still was able to make some key plays when knifing through blockers into the backfield. On the other hand his inconsistent motor prior to this season is a concern and he also has suffered two significant injuries (ACL and broken ankle if I remember correctly.) Still should be selected towards the end of the first round.

TitanHope 04-08-2012 02:32 PM

I think most of it has to do with what the other three DT's provide, and not as much about what Still lacks.

Bobo 04-08-2012 03:42 PM

He reminded me of Albert Haynesworth a bit. Showed good burst off the snap and good athleticism, also the ability to maul guys pretty good. If he's inconsistent, then unfortunately that's another Haynesworth trait.

TitanHope, what do you think about him at 20? I like the thought, but there are there may be other strong d-line options there. I've seen some mocks with DeCastro dropping that far. Of course the Titans don't value o-line that high and Munch has already downplayed talk of o-line that high, but they have brought several o-lineman in for visits. Konz could be an option too.

49ersfan_87 04-08-2012 03:44 PM

I kind of want SF to pick him at 30. Becoming my favourite choice for the pick.

eaglesalltheway 04-08-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFinisher (Post 2939709)
Inconsistent motor, there are stretches when he's motivated where he hands down looks like the best DT in the class but then he'll disappear and take plays off. Ton of talent there though, if he lands in the right situation with a strong locker room and coaching staff he could be one of the best 3Ts in the league.

This is why he isn't at the top of the rest of the DT class.

Not a thing I disagree with here. looks like his best fit is as an UT if he's asked to two-gap, he will have even less of an impact as a pass rusher. When he is playing his best though, he is disruptive, and even borderline dominant. The problem is he either doesn't have the conditioning or the will to play at 100% every snap.

SenorGato 04-08-2012 04:23 PM

I like him tbh...weird because I think Penn State is not a fun school to pick players from.

Anyway, I think Still uses his hands well as plays with good power and leverage when he's on. Like him better than Odrick, that's for sure....

Between him, Werthy, and Winn there's another Darnell Dockett without the whole 3rd round thing...well, maybe one might fall to the 3rd.

keylime_5 04-08-2012 04:39 PM

He isn't consistent, plays too high sometimes, doesn't always use his hands well. Kinda reminds me of Cameron Heyward.

There is no doubt though in my mind that he was the best defensive tackle in college football last season. Those underclassmen like Poe, Cox, and Brockers will go higher b/c of potential and physical skills, but Still had the best year of production in 2011 of all the guys in this draft class at the position.

Halsey 04-08-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobo (Post 2939269)
What is Devon Still Lacking?

Devon who?

Bobo 04-10-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2939849)
He isn't consistent, plays too high sometimes, doesn't always use his hands well. Kinda reminds me of Cameron Heyward.

There is no doubt though in my mind that he was the best defensive tackle in college football last season. Those underclassmen like Poe, Cox, and Brockers will go higher b/c of potential and physical skills, but Still had the best year of production in 2011 of all the guys in this draft class at the position.

Even though it's hard to have much of an opinion going mostly off of highlights and a few games, but when he was at his best, his best looked like the best of any of the DT's to me. Stats are in his favor too.

Wonder what Rick Gosselin will have to say...

RaiderNation 04-10-2012 01:57 AM

I don't see the upside compared to Cox/Brockers/Poe, but Still is a very capable 1st round player. Denver will take him at 25 if he's there

StickSkills 04-10-2012 03:07 AM

The only thing really is the inconsistent motor during the game. I hate when people bring up that this was his only good season. His first two he was injured, then at the end of 2010 he started showing what he showed in 2011 (particularly in the Gator Bowl again UF).

I am interested though in how his "motor" will be on a team that doesn't get consistent 3 and outs like PSU. Penn State opened the game with a 7:26 drive for a FG, then only had 1 drive the rest of the game that was over 2 minutes. That defense was basically playing a time of possesion difference of 34:05 for Alabama and 18:29 for Penn State.

Illinois even had a 5 min TOP advantage over Penn State. That was a game where Penn State had 98 yards of passing offense and they still won.

TitanHope 04-10-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobo (Post 2939809)
He reminded me of Albert Haynesworth a bit. Showed good burst off the snap and good athleticism, also the ability to maul guys pretty good. If he's inconsistent, then unfortunately that's another Haynesworth trait.

TitanHope, what do you think about him at 20? I like the thought, but there are there may be other strong d-line options there. I've seen some mocks with DeCastro dropping that far. Of course the Titans don't value o-line that high and Munch has already downplayed talk of o-line that high, but they have brought several o-lineman in for visits. Konz could be an option too.

I'm all for Still, or any other DT. I like this DT group far, far more than the DE's (Struggling to get behind any of the DE's, to be honest. I guess I like Perry the best for us, considering Coples should be gone and Ingram may not fit the scheme), and I'll take a dominant DT over a dominant DE anyway. Collapsing the pocket will make things much easier for Derrick Morgan and Kamerion Wimbley, and the last time we had a pocket-collapsing DT, Michael Griffin was able to make more plays since QB's couldn't step up in the pocket. Then go after DE in RD's 2-3 where the value gets insane.

Been thinking that Munchak would have to fall in love with an OL to take him in the 1st, but DeCastro is that type of player. But he could be gone, and even if he was there, the addition of Hutchinson with the need at other positions could talk him out of it. I say take the perennial Pro Bowler though. As for Konz, he's under the same circumstances.

Both lines do need to be bolstered though, and I'd be for using our first 3 picks on them. DT, then DE, then OL is my feeling.

bitonti 04-10-2012 07:36 AM

as other posters have noted it's a strong DT year and that hurts Still. in another draft class, he'd be more highly regarded. we can say the same about Jerel Worthy, fwiw.

duesouth 04-10-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickSkills (Post 2941669)
The only thing really is the inconsistent motor during the game. I hate when people bring up that this was his only good season. His first two he was injured, then at the end of 2010 he started showing what he showed in 2011 (particularly in the Gator Bowl again UF).

I am interested though in how his "motor" will be on a team that doesn't get consistent 3 and outs like PSU. Penn State opened the game with a 7:26 drive for a FG, then only had 1 drive the rest of the game that was over 2 minutes. That defense was basically playing a time of possesion difference of 34:05 for Alabama and 18:29 for Penn State.

Illinois even had a 5 min TOP advantage over Penn State. That was a game where Penn State had 98 yards of passing offense and they still won.

I think when comparing Still's motor to say a Brandon Thompson is that Still played a hell of a lot more snaps than Thompson. For a big man in the game most of the time, when the play goes away from you I think you almost have to ease up on the motor just not to gas yourself for the next few plays. Exactly the same for Dontari Poe who has had some motor questions - but again, in the game most of the time. Look at Jerel Worthy and Michael Brockers - not in the game on obvious passing situations - big advantage to catch your breath for a play or two - Brandon Thompson would rotate out for whole series.

For any DT prospect if they part of a rotation in the NFL you can set the motor to high - so not an issue.

killxswitch 04-10-2012 10:43 AM

Underrated IMO. I am not worried about his motor.

mightytitan9 04-10-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 2941689)
I'm all for Still, or any other DT. I like this DT group far, far more than the DE's (Struggling to get behind any of the DE's, to be honest. I guess I like Perry the best for us, considering Coples should be gone and Ingram may not fit the scheme), and I'll take a dominant DT over a dominant DE anyway. Collapsing the pocket will make things much easier for Derrick Morgan and Kamerion Wimbley, and the last time we had a pocket-collapsing DT, Michael Griffin was able to make more plays since QB's couldn't step up in the pocket. Then go after DE in RD's 2-3 where the value gets insane.

Been thinking that Munchak would have to fall in love with an OL to take him in the 1st, but DeCastro is that type of player. But he could be gone, and even if he was there, the addition of Hutchinson with the need at other positions could talk him out of it. I say take the perennial Pro Bowler though. As for Konz, he's under the same circumstances.

Both lines do need to be bolstered though, and I'd be for using our first 3 picks on them. DT, then DE, then OL is my feeling.

While I don't fully agree with preferring a dominant DT over DE, I think DT is likely going to be the first round selection for us unless DeCastro drops (I think he'd be the exception to not drafting o-line early) or if the team likes Barron, Kirkpatrick or Gilmore a lot. Everytime NFL shows a Barron clips it's the one with him talking to the Titans scout or coach not sure who it is.

The value at DT in the first round at pick 20 is better than DE by far. The again, I think a Brandon Thompson in round 2 is fantastic value as well.

As for who the Titans would prefer? I assume Cox and Poe will be gone. That leaves Brockers, Worthy and Still as my top rated. All would be good selections in my opinion

Shane P. Hallam 04-10-2012 11:12 AM

And Still isn't exactly as stout against the run as you'd like. There are numerous times his lateral agility didn't allow him to handle shiftier runners and he struggled with the bigger ones. Compared to the Big 3 (Cox, Poe, Brockers,) I think this is where they separate from Still.

Iamcanadian 04-10-2012 11:13 AM

The DT crop is one of the real strengths of this year's draft, 6 could go in round 1 or by early round 2 and Still is definitely one of them. The only reason he isn't at the top is because of a motor that runs hot and cold. He has a high ceiling if he is willing to play hard all the time and not take plays off.

MaxV 04-10-2012 11:35 AM

Still is kind of "jack of all trades, master of none" player.

Meaning, that he does everything well, but nothing exceptionally.

Injury history is a bit of a red flag with him. If I'm not mistaken, senior season was the only injury-free season he had.

ChiFan24 04-10-2012 02:32 PM

I haven't watched video on him lately, but I remember being really unimpressed. He played high and was easily pushed backwards. Also seemed smallish. Motor questions as well. I wouldn't want that guy in the middle of my defense.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.