Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   DeCastro at Center: Yea or Nea? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52360)

D-Unit 04-19-2012 01:34 PM

DeCastro at Center: Yea or Nea?
 
Do you think an NFL team would try to move DeCastro to Center? Do you think it would work well?

Razor 04-19-2012 01:35 PM

Waste of his talent IMO. He probably could play center, but I like him better at guard.

K Train 04-19-2012 01:35 PM

nay

put him at guard and watch the magic unfold. hes the type of guard that will make DTs fake injuries

D-Unit 04-19-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 2956209)
Waste of his talent IMO. He probably could play center, but I like him better at guard.

So he'd be an A+ Guard, but a B+ center? Or could he be an A+ center still?

Sloopy 04-19-2012 01:37 PM

I think he would certainly make a good guard and centers are certainly more valuable than guards.

Unfortunately I think at guard he has a chance to be a top 5 player in the league, the same may not be said by moving him to center.

CDCB14 04-19-2012 01:45 PM

I don't mean to sound like an ignorant fool but how much difference is it? Does he just have to learn how to snap? He was snapping fine at Stanford's pro day. I know most centers do line calls but he went to stanford so I don't think intelligence is a problem.

I agree that leaving him at guard is probably best because if it isn't broke don't fix it, but is it really that much of a difference?

Sloopy 04-19-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDCB14 (Post 2956227)
I don't mean to sound like an ignorant fool but how much difference is it? Does he just have to learn how to snap? He was snapping fine at Stanford's pro day. I know most centers do line calls but he went to stanford so I don't think intelligence is a problem.

I agree that leaving him at guard is probably best because if it isn't broke don't fix it, but is it really that much of a difference?

In most cases (specifically on passing plays) the Centers don't have a definite direction that they are blocking. They pivot and fill in based on where the rush is coming from.

As opposed to a guard who is definitely taking on the DT that is over him (4-3) or engaging in a double team (3-4)

Also, against the 3-4 they have to snap the ball and gain leverage over the big ass NT before he gets blown up. The NT lines up right over the top of him as well, so this can be difficult.

On run plays the Center will most often create the seal in the running lane, going to either side depending on which is the primary gap the RB is supposed to hit

RaiderNation 04-19-2012 01:49 PM

Keep him at RG/LG and he'll be an All Pro, why try to change that?

vidae 04-19-2012 01:50 PM

He was awful snapping the ball at his Pro Day, so I voted no. Don't fix what isn't broken as it were. Start him at G and watch the Pro Bowls rack up.

edit: All I saw was "DeCastro at C.. yea or nea.." and not the actual poll question. He can work at C, but I'd prefer to have him at G.

TACKLE 04-19-2012 01:53 PM

The question is 'Would DeCastro work at Center?' and everyone so far has voted No? Of course he could work at center and he would be very, very good there. Yes he may be a bit better at guard because of his experience but there's no reason he couldn't play center at a very high level.

Sloopy 04-19-2012 01:53 PM

Another thing:

I think that as a guard, he is by far the best OL regardless of position in this draft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 2956249)
The question is 'Would DeCastro work at Center?' and everyone so far has voted No? Of course he could work at center and he would be very, very good there. Yes he may be a bit better at guard because of his experience but there's no reason he couldn't play center at a very high level.

Ah. Then yes, he can play center.

PossibleCabbage 04-19-2012 01:53 PM

I don't think he snaps well and his extremely aggressive play-style fits much better at G than C; playing Center is a lot more cerebral.

SolidGold 04-19-2012 02:26 PM

Keep him at guard...he is one of the best guard prospects to come out in years. I actually think he tried out center at the pro day and didn't do so hot. Basically why fix something that isn't broken.

Babylon 04-19-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 2956307)
Keep him at guard...he is one of the best guard prospects to come out in years. I actually think he tried out center at the pro day and didn't do so hot. Basically why fix something that isn't broken.

What i saw of the pro day he did fine getting the ball to Luck. That in itself means nothing. When asked would he want to try center at the next level his answer was and i paraphrase, "#### no.

As for DeCastro at guard i think his strong suit is pulling and i wouldnt want to take that away from him.

On a somewhat unrelated subject for D, are the cowboys looking for a center?

NorrinRadd12 04-19-2012 03:15 PM

I like him at center better than guard. As a Center I give him a mid 1st round grade. As a guard a 2nd round grade. I don't believe he has that extra "umpf" to finish his blocks and be elite an guard.

K Train 04-19-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorrinRadd12 (Post 2956420)
I like him at center better than guard. As a Center I give him a mid 1st round grade. As a guard a 2nd round grade. I don't believe he has that extra "umpf" to finish his blocks and be elite an guard.

lol didnt expect to come in this thread and see this response.

how dare you, king decastro will pancake your ass for this

Sloopy 04-19-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorrinRadd12 (Post 2956420)
I like him at center better than guard. As a Center I give him a mid 1st round grade. As a guard a 2nd round grade. I don't believe he has that extra "umpf" to finish his blocks and be elite an guard.

Say what now?

:ban:

Babylon 04-19-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloopy (Post 2956503)
Say what now?

:ban:

Almost as strange as saying he'd have a 1st round grade as a center. Position he's never taken a snap at.

D-Unit 04-19-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 2956380)
What i saw of the pro day he did fine getting the ball to Luck. That in itself means nothing. When asked would he want to try center at the next level his answer was and i paraphrase, "#### no.

As for DeCastro at guard i think his strong suit is pulling and i wouldnt want to take that away from him.

On a somewhat unrelated subject for D, are the cowboys looking for a center?

I hope so. Don't know so. We already signed 2 OGs in FA.

NorrinRadd12 04-19-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 2956523)
Almost as strange as saying he'd have a 1st round grade as a center. Position he's never taken a snap at.

Linemen change positions from college to the NFL all the time. It's a big part of draft evaluations.

Rosebud 04-19-2012 06:01 PM

He could learn to be a center but I don't think any team would do that which is why I voted no which I now know isn't what the poll was asking...

onejayhawk 04-19-2012 06:30 PM

I think he could. The guy is incredibly smooth. I am not sure that is his best role.

J

Asteinebach 04-19-2012 06:54 PM

I said Yea, because I believe DeCastro would be a really good center in the league. But I have to agree, I'd be more inclined to leave him at his natural position.

jojo 04-19-2012 07:08 PM

Keep him at guard, although I voted center. I'm just weird that way.

Pure centers are rarer with each passing draft regardless of team after team needing them so it seems....... maybe it's b/c teams go through guards like multiple urinations after Corona cerveza. They always have mangled hands & fingers, or broken ankles

niel89 04-19-2012 09:54 PM

Could he? Yes. Should he? NOOOOOOO.

He could probably become a solid center but he is gonna be an all pro guard. Let him stay at guard and use his pulling ability. He could be a solid option for a back up center in a pinch though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.