Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco 49ers Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   2012 49ers NFL Draft Gameday Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52416)

Borat 04-21-2012 03:50 AM

2012 49ers NFL Draft Gameday Thread
 

2012 NFL Draft

Thursday April 26th Saturday April 28th



Location: Radio City Music Hall



Time:
Round 1: Thursday, April 26 (8 p.m. ET)
Rounds 2-3: Friday, April 27 (7 p.m. ET)
Rounds 4-7: Saturday, April 28 (noon ET)



San Francisco 49ers Selections

Round 1, Pick 30 (#30 Overall)
Round 2, Pick 29 (#61 Overall)
Round 3, Pick 29 (#92 Overall)
Round 4, Pick 30 (#125 Overall)
Round 5, Pick 30 (#165 Overall)
Round 6, Pick 29 (#199 Overall)
Round 7, Pick 30 (#237 Overall)

San Francisco 49ers Team Needs
RG (1)

San Francisco 49ers Depth Needs
CB (1), WR(1), OLB (1), S (1), Fleener(1)


San Francisco 49ers Depth Chart

HC: Jim Harbaugh
OC: Greg Roman
DC: Vic Fangio
ST: Brad Seely

Offense

QB Smith, Kaepernick, Johnson, Tolzien
RB Gore, Hunter, Dixon, Jacobs, Cartwright
WR Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, Swain, Ginn
LT - Staley
LG - Iupati, Chisolm
C Goodwin, Beeler
RG Kilgore, Boone
RT - Davis, Person
TE Davis, Walker, Byham, Reuland
FB - Miller

Defense

DE Smith, McDonald, Dobbs, Tukuafu
NT Sopoaga, Jean-Francois, Williams
OLB Brooks, Smith, Haralson
ILB Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden
CB Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, Cox , Nelms, Holcomb
SS Whitner, Spillman
FS - Goldson, Jones

Special Teams

P - Lee
PK - Akers
LS JENNINGS


OK, enough with the pre-game stuff. Lets talk draft.

I believe in these guys


Their first draft together was outstanding, yielding

This


This


This


This


And this


Not a bad first haul. And you got this guy waiting in the wings


Also, I found this


Notice the hat and also the ******* badass ballpark in the background.

Im sold. If they can put together a similar draft this year, this team will be loaded with depth. Awesome.

I honestly dont remember a time where there wasnt really a need to be filled at the draft. If they think Kilgore is ready, then all 22 spots are filled with viable starters. They can truly go best player available. Again, awesome. Unless they take a kicker, anybody they take can be easily justified. A high upside guy that will be a backup or rotational player is a strong possibility.

So, which player can they take that will provide the most instant impact?

This guy for sure. Immediate red zone target.


This guy has crazy upside. But hes pretty raw.


This guy? Isnt he like, fat, or something?


Whos the best player that may fall far enough for the Niners to trade up?



Hes a badass. All-Pro potential. I want. Also, because this came up on his google image search



Outside of trading away a 1st next year, Im open to trade up ideas to land DeCastro.

There are two other players that Im overly high on

Brandon Boykin





And Tommy Streeter



I think Boykin can come in immediately and make plays. Streeter will need a little time, but there is so much to work with. I think he and Stephen Hill have the same upside. But you can get Streeter much later in the draft.

And finally, for you Robert Turbin lovers



Fap away.

Special Note:



Ness 04-21-2012 04:16 AM

I don't watch any college football practically, so I only know about the "sexy" prospects. That being said, I how we get a good player in the first round that can help us out right away. A guard would be nice since Snyder and Rachal are gone.

There is one guy I have a good feeling about and wouldn't mind the 49ers taking, and that's Marvin Jones.

The one thing about the draft every single season that people tend to forget is that 90% of these players won't make a huge impact in the NFL.

dan77733 04-21-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness
I don't watch any college football practically, so I only know about the "sexy" prospects. That being said, I how we get a good player in the first round that can help us out right away. A guard would be nice since Snyder and Rachal are gone.

There is one guy I have a good feeling about and wouldn't mind the 49ers taking, and that's Marvin Jones.

The one thing about the draft every single season that people tend to forget is that 90% of these players won't make a huge impact in the NFL.

Huh......and I thought that was Free Agents??? :p LOL.

Joking aside, im still hoping for TE Coby Fleener because he adds another weapon on the offense, knows the offense, is a huge redzone target and with Walker being an UFA in a year from now, they should trade him during this year's draft if they draft Fleener.

After Fleener, then im hoping for WR Stephen Hill with an OG third on my wish list. Other draft picks after Fleener/Hill should be an OG (second rounder), CB (third round), WR (fourth round and if Hill or another WR isnt drafted at 30), S (fifth round), DL (sixth round) and an OLB (seventh round).

Those would be my targets in regards to positions but of course, it wouldnt stay that way since we're picking behind 29 other teams. If we get Fleener or Hill at 30, I'll be a happy camper but im hoping for Fleener the most.

49ersfan_87 04-21-2012 11:16 AM

Solid post. I'd add NT and RB to the list of depth needs though. I don't see Gore and Jacobs on the team in 2013 (and Jacobs isn't a lock to make the team this year either). We have 3 NT's on the team and 2 of them (Sopo, RJF) are UFAs after this year..the 3rd is Ian Williams and he's played like 10-20 snaps at NT. So i wouldn't mind adding another prospect there.

Other than that, i agree with everything.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart 04-21-2012 01:02 PM

Absolutely agree on Streeter. If we don't draft Hill then Streeter would be a great guy to go after in round 3 or 4.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart 04-21-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 (Post 2959211)
Solid post. I'd add NT and RB to the list of depth needs though. I don't see Gore and Jacobs on the team in 2013 (and Jacobs isn't a lock to make the team this year either). We have 3 NT's on the team and 2 of them (Sopo, RJF) are UFAs after this year..the 3rd is Ian Williams and he's played like 10-20 snaps at NT. So i wouldn't mind adding another prospect there.

Other than that, i agree with everything.


Yeah I think NT will be addressed. Alameda Ta'Amu would be a great guy to add but he may be gone before we pick @ 61. It's funny as soon as Baalke alluded to the fact that he had a guy who he thought would be there @ 30 my first thought was Alameda...I hope I'm wrong however..lol

Shupp 04-21-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart (Post 2959342)
Absolutely agree on Streeter. If we don't draft Hill then Streeter would be a great guy to go after in round 3 or 4.

Streeter in the 4th I'm ok with, in the 3rd...a little rich for my blood..

dan77733 04-21-2012 05:00 PM

Thinking about it, if Fleener and Hill are both gone at 30, I would try to trade out of the first round and try to acquire an extra first rounder for next year.

Thoughts?

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart 04-21-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan77733 (Post 2959921)
Thinking about it, if Fleener and Hill are both gone at 30, I would try to trade out of the first round and try to acquire an extra first rounder for next year.

Thoughts?

I definitely think there's a scenario where that would be the best thing to do. If Hill and Fleener are both off the board it would be interesting to see who slipped to us however. If nobody terribly tempting is left in the scenario where Hill and Fleener are gone I would absolutely try to get out of there. After all, is Zeitler @ 30 better value than Amini or Brandon Brooks @ 61? Probably not.

Would you still look to trade down if Wright was still on the board? What about Dre Kirpatrick?

dan77733 04-21-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart (Post 2960016)
I definitely think there's a scenario where that would be the best thing to do. If Hill and Fleener are both off the board it would be interesting to see who slipped to us however. If nobody terribly tempting is left in the scenario where Hill and Fleener are gone I would absolutely try to get out of there. After all, is Zeitler @ 30 better value than Amini or Brandon Brooks @ 61? Probably not.

Would you still look to trade down if Wright was still on the board? What about Dre Kirpatrick?

Yes, I would still try to trade down. I have no interest in Wright or Kirpatrick for various reasons. CB wise, I wouldnt mind Gilmore at 30 if Fleener and Hill are gone but other than him, I would try my best to trade out of the first round. If a team just wanted to give me their first rounder for 2013 (and especially if its a team like MIA, CLE, etc. who'll most likelt have a top ten draft pick yet again), I would accept it. If a good player was to fall into the middle of second round, I would give up the third rounder to get him. With Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and Williams, any rookie WR would be at best 5th on the DC unless injuries happen or Moss becomes Braylon or something along those lines happens. TE wise, Byham is coming off a season ending injury, Walker is good and I like him but he'll be an UFA in 2013 and could be a starter for several teams in the league. Dont see him staying in SF unless he enjoys being a backup. I think that Fleener as a rookie would already surpass Walker and is a huge redzone target. After Fleener and Hill, I wouldnt mind Gilmore but I think that he'll be long gone by 30. OG wise, I dont think that there would be a huge difference between 30 and 61 so if I could acquire an extra first rounder for 2013, I would take it because those two first rounders would be huge in a year from now as we would hopefully be able to find a RB to replace Gore and a playmaking WR or a NT depending on what happens with Sopoaga and Jean-Francois.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart 04-21-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan77733 (Post 2960358)
Yes, I would still try to trade down. I have no interest in Wright or Kirpatrick for various reasons. CB wise, I wouldnt mind Gilmore at 30 if Fleener and Hill are gone but other than him, I would try my best to trade out of the first round. If a team just wanted to give me their first rounder for 2013 (and especially if its a team like MIA, CLE, etc. who'll most likelt have a top ten draft pick yet again), I would accept it. If a good player was to fall into the middle of second round, I would give up the third rounder to get him. With Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and Williams, any rookie WR would be at best 5th on the DC unless injuries happen or Moss becomes Braylon or something along those lines happens. TE wise, Byham is coming off a season ending injury, Walker is good and I like him but he'll be an UFA in 2013 and could be a starter for several teams in the league. Dont see him staying in SF unless he enjoys being a backup. I think that Fleener as a rookie would already surpass Walker and is a huge redzone target. After Fleener and Hill, I wouldnt mind Gilmore but I think that he'll be long gone by 30. OG wise, I dont think that there would be a huge difference between 30 and 61 so if I could acquire an extra first rounder for 2013, I would take it because those two first rounders would be huge in a year from now as we would hopefully be able to find a RB to replace Gore and a playmaking WR or a NT depending on what happens with Sopoaga and Jean-Francois.

I think any WR drafted in the 1st 2 rounds would most likely easily overtake Williams for the 4th spot on the depth chart. With that being said, I think I would stay at 30 if Kendall Wright was still available. I would not select any other pass catcher @ 30 other than Hill, Fleener, and Wright. Konz and Zeitler are where things get tricky, I'm not the best judge of interior line play, it's very hard to judge their value from highlights...lol

dan77733 04-21-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart (Post 2960421)
I think any WR drafted in the 1st 2 rounds would most likely easily overtake Williams for the 4th spot on the depth chart. With that being said, I think I would stay at 30 if Kendall Wright was still available. I would not select any other pass catcher @ 30 other than Hill, Fleener, and Wright. Konz and Zeitler are where things get tricky, I'm not the best judge of interior line play, it's very hard to judge their value from highlights...lol

Rookie WR could surpass Williams but thats not a guarantee. All depends on how the rookie WR would develop and progress. The reason I have Hill as the only WR is because he's raw and green. Basically, by the time he becomes ready to be a number one WR, Moss (and possibly Manningham and/or Crabtree) will be gone. Hill is a project as would be any WR we draft at 30 but when you look at our depth chart, its Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, Ginn and Swain. Swain would be the odd man out in my opinion and Moss could always become Braylon part two. Adding those factors along with the fact that a rookie WR may take longer than expected to progress and the positives of Fleener plus Walker being an UFA in 2013, I think that Fleener would be the perfect pick and fit for us. Hill is basically for the future after Moss and possibly others. Either way, im hoping that Baalke/Harbaugh doesnt release Williams. I like him and he's young with plenty of upside and potential. To me, he's a perfect fit as our slot receiver.

hawkeye123 04-22-2012 01:46 AM

Jared Crick, Omar Bolden, Bobby Wagner, and Ty Hilton are my favorite prospects.

Shupp 04-22-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeye123 (Post 2960571)
Jared Crick, Omar Bolden, Bobby Wagner, and Ty Hilton are my favorite prospects.

I'm really glad you're not the GM

hawkeye123 04-22-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shupp (Post 2960595)
I'm really glad you're not the GM

I probably wouldn't do that well.

Shupp 04-22-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeye123 (Post 2960608)
I probably wouldn't do that well.

LOL...just joking. I like Crick a little just don't think he's strong enough to play DE in a 3-4

Brent 04-22-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan77733 (Post 2959921)
Thinking about it, if Fleener and Hill are both gone at 30, I would try to trade out of the first round and try to acquire an extra first rounder for next year.

Thoughts?

You don't trade down/out. Teams trade up.

You can't call up another team and ask them to take your pick.

edgrenade 04-22-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 2960953)
You don't trade down/out. Teams trade up.

You can't call up another team and ask them to take your pick.

This.

I could see someone looking to trade up to grab Doug Martin @ 30

dan77733 04-22-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 2960953)
You don't trade down/out. Teams trade up.

You can't call up another team and ask them to take your pick.

I know that and you know what I meant.

VAfy-ya 04-22-2012 02:30 PM

I was just going over my WR list and man, this is a DEEEEEEEP WR class. Cant remember liking so many prospects. We know all about the usual suspects but a ton of guys they aren't getting alot of pub I think could be steals.....

AJ Jenkins
Greg Childs
TJ Graham
Danny Coale
Lance Lewis
DeMarlo Belcher(character concerns)
T.Y. Hilton
Jarius Wright
Kris Burd

Going to be interesting just who we draft at WR and where they're drafted. Also was looking at the safties, as thats aegubaly our thinnest position on the team. Outside of our starters and Spillman, no depth there what so ever. The staff still isnt sure whether Jones is more suited for offense or defense. Nelms is probably headed for the PS again. LeGree seems to be a fringe player so I see a need there for some bodies.

One of the more intriging players I've come across leading up to the draft is Neiko Thorpe. Thorpe played CB for Auburn for 3 years. Had a great sophmore year, so much so alot ppl pegged him as a future top 20 pick. He had a subpar junior year, and then he was asked to moved to FS before last year where he was solid there as a senior. Thorpe has a great size, at 6'3, 200 lbs. He has good speed(4.50 forty) and he reminds me alot of Cully, a guy who switched positions in the secondary before his senior year and didnt wow ppl after the switch but showed our scouts his potential and his versatility. Thorpe could be that FS/CB hybrid type of player I have been talking about for some time now in the discussion thread. Some other safties I like....

Brandon Taylor
Harrison Smith
Markelle Martin
Aaron Henry
Jerrell Young
Trenton Robinson
Trumaine Johnson
Brandon Hardin
Sean Richardson(SS)
Tavon Wilson(SS)
Winston Guy, Jr.(SS)

Brent 04-22-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan77733 (Post 2960992)
I know that and you know what I meant.

If the Niners do not value anyone worthy of the 30th at that stage, what makes you think another team will? Given the rookie wage scale, it's realistic to believe that the Niners will simply draft someone most "experts" have given a 2nd round grade at that time, as there is far less financial risk than years prior.

edgrenade 04-22-2012 05:52 PM

Scout says Fleener may be most overrated guy in draft

http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3108/proFoo...draft&%238221;

phlysac 04-22-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAfy-ya (Post 2961028)
DeMarlo Belcher(character concerns)

I was REALLY intrigued by Belcher as a late-round gem...



and then he ran a 4.73 at his Pro-Day.

dan77733 04-22-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 2961265)
If the Niners do not value anyone worthy of the 30th at that stage, what makes you think another team will? Given the rookie wage scale, it's realistic to believe that the Niners will simply draft someone most "experts" have given a 2nd round grade at that time, as there is far less financial risk than years prior.

Because another team may want a player who plays a position that we dont need to waste a draft pick on and thus, want to trade up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgrenade (Post 2961343)
Scout says Fleener may be most overrated guy in draft

http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3108/proFoo...draft&%238221;

I read that and dont care what that scout says. Its all bullcrap. The scout most likely works for a team that wants Fleener and thus, bashes him. I want Fleener!!!

VAfy-ya 04-22-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlysac (Post 2961558)
I was REALLY intrigued by Belcher as a late-round gem...



and then he ran a 4.73 at his Pro-Day.


Meh, he's faster than that. But he wasnt in the best shape at his Pro Day from the reports I read. I remember reading on the Hoosier board that he clocked 4.4 flat during the spring one year. I think thats more of what kind of speed I saw when I watched him play. But when you get kicked off the team and you have months to prepare for your Pro Day and you still dont prepare, thats where the character concerns come into play. Dez Bryant and Perrish Cox had similar disatrous workouts after being kicked off their respective teams and still wound up erasing concerns about their perceived "lack of foot speed". Belcher could do the same. But it wouldnt shock me if he didnt get drafted. I just think he has some upside which teams should consider.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.