Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Would a 2 QB system not work in the NFL? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5248)

chug o nomics 03-29-2007 07:35 PM

Would a 2 QB system not work in the NFL?

The Chris Leak and Tim Tebow combination was really effective. I wondered what it would have been like if Matt Shaub and Mike Vick split time roughly 30-70 respectively. What are your thoughts? Of course, it'd be hard to pull off, but as long as the attack is balanced, then it would have been interesting on how teams would defend.

neko4 03-29-2007 07:37 PM

I wish it would, not sure it would though.

Beans 03-29-2007 07:37 PM

I do want to see Jared Lorenzan run over a DT for a touchdown. That guy is awesome. And fat.

SeanTaylorRIP 03-29-2007 07:38 PM

I hardly call that a 2 QB system, teams in college which switch QB's every 2 drives or so ala Erik Ainge Brent Shaeffer that would be a 2 QB system but Florida's was more of a trick package, no different than Antwaan Randle El lining up at QB a couple times a game like he did last year. A true 2 QB system would not work because of the lack of consistency, it's hard for a QB to go in and out and keep good rhythm, and in the NFL one mistake can cost you the game.

remix 6 03-29-2007 07:44 PM

they can always run the "Tenafly" formation. 2 QBs under center and 1 takes it :)

The Unseen 03-29-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remix 6 (Post 260516)
they can always run the "Tenafly" formation. 2 QBs under center and 1 takes it :)

Or two QBs in a split-shotgun. One guy gets it, the other does cool crap.

marks01234 03-29-2007 08:06 PM

No

It's so uncoventional on the NFL level that if at any point the team had less than stellar success, your coach would be murdered. College coaches recieved tons of flack for even suggesting this method.

As for the actual play - it would be very difficult. WR/QB relationship is something that isn't flipped on like a switch. To much a lesser extent, so it the C/QB relationship.

The only way I could see it working would be to have two QBs who can both give you something that the other can't. Vick/Schuab is a good example however I'm not sure if Schaub was a "too good to keep off the field" player.

I wouldn't mind seeing some teams use a backup on a series or two, espically when there offense faulters. IMO to often teams have a quality backup who just needs an opportunity (ie Romo, Rivers) Trying a fresh outlook can sometimes be a nice boast.

Stash 03-29-2007 08:33 PM

2 QB system in NFL = Worst idea ever

Vikes99ej 03-29-2007 08:36 PM

I would never do it. The starting QB of a team is usually looked to as a leader, and I would think switching QBs all the time would have an effect on the QB's confidence and rhythm.

yourfavestoner 03-29-2007 08:38 PM

For the most part, the two quarterback system fails at the college level, too. The only reason why teams even use it, is because neither player did anything to separate himself in camp, and the coach is too indecisive to pull the trigger. More often than not, it ends up killing teams.

Like ghettosermon said, the situation in Florida wasn't really a two quarterback system. The team just had a package of plays that they ran with Tebow. It's not like they were having him run the offense and switching series with Leak. He'd never be in for more than a play or two.

It'd be a complete flop on the NFL level. One of the reasons it even has mild success on the collegiate level is because college practice times are incredibly limited, so it's much harder for defenses to zero in on every tendency and package a team puts in. That's not the case in the NFL, and it's a huge reason as to why defensive play in the NFL is so superior to that in college.

eacantdraft 03-29-2007 09:01 PM

Doesn't work. Never has. Never will. Very difficult to do in the salary cap era too.

ricky bobby 03-29-2007 09:07 PM

Eli Manning and Pat White (QB/RB). It would be fun to watch, that's for sure.

bored of education 03-29-2007 09:32 PM

Hahhahahahhah

princefielder28 03-29-2007 09:38 PM

In college teams can get away with a QB to go in there and throw and the other to run, but in the NFL the DEs and LBs are too fast for that running QB option to rotate in there. Unfortunately for the Falcons they have a QB thats a running QB and they force him to complete passes where his is less effective :)

BlindSite 03-29-2007 09:39 PM

It's illegal to have two players with radio's in their helmet on the field at once.

kalbears13 03-29-2007 09:44 PM

How about Eli and Peyton Manning. Then they can be twice as effective at hitting kids in Unitedway.

etk 03-29-2007 10:14 PM

Jeff Garcia is a pretty sick blocker, so I'm all for it for the Bucs. We could make the NFL into a ridiculous sideshow, but it would be so entertaining.

swagger 03-29-2007 10:16 PM

The 2 QB system is a terrible idea. However, I did like how the Titans brought Vince along by giving him a little bit of playing time every game.

energizerbunny 03-29-2007 10:19 PM

having a 2 QB system would be like having 2 wifes.... almost impossible to keep them both happy and impossible to keep them from tearing the team apart.

The only way it works in college is if there is a large age difference between the 2 players. With a developed/devolping players.

DHVF 03-29-2007 10:21 PM

Yeah, overall it's just a bad idea. The last time that I can think of it actually being used in the NFL, was back when Vinny Testeverde and Glen Foley split time, albeit for a short amount of time, with the Jets some years back.

etk 03-29-2007 10:22 PM

Nice sig DHVF! lol

Shiver 03-29-2007 10:57 PM

Atlanta ran some trick plays, with Schaub and Vick, none of it did anything worth acclaim. As a full time offense, it would be a catastro****.

DHVF 03-29-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etk (Post 260895)
Nice sig DHVF! lol

:) He's sexy isn't he?

mikehop05 03-29-2007 11:16 PM

its hard to compare what florida did to anything in the nfl...

especially since teams dont like their quarterbacks taking licks like tebow took in running it up the gut

i too wanna see the hefty lefty take on a linebacker though

TheChampIsHere 03-30-2007 02:38 AM

I really dont think it would work and the above posters have posted most of the primary reasons why it wouldnt work and why no one tried it. Nevertheless, I would be very interested to see a team like the Falcons try a 2 QB system with Vick and Schaub or any team with a pocket passer and a mobile QB.