Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Jake Bequette (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52490)

SolidGold 04-24-2012 06:35 AM

Jake Bequette

I was just looking over the DE/OLB prospects in this draft and it baffles me why this guy is not rated higher. He played in same conference as Ingram, is taller and heavier than Ingram as well as more productive. How is Chandler Jones rated higher? He had much less production in the big east. All he has on Bequette is longer arms.

During the senior bowl he was asked to transition to OLB and after an initial rough start he got his footing and performed well during senior bowl practices.

I think Bequette is going to be a steal for someone.

1funguy 04-24-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 2963418)
I was just looking over the DE/OLB prospects in this draft and it baffles me why this guy is not rated higher. He played in same conference as Ingram, is taller and heavier than Ingram as well as more productive. How is Chandler Jones rated higher? He had much less production in the big east. All he has on Bequette is longer arms.

During the senior bowl he was asked to transition to OLB and after an initial rough start he got his footing and performed well during senior bowl practices.

I think Bequette is going to be a steal for someone.

I agree & hope he's a steal for the Chargers.

Razor 04-24-2012 06:42 AM

I agree that Bequette isn't getting the love he deserves at least from the internet draft nicks. But really, he has nothing on Chandler Jones, who is a much better athlete. I like Bequette and would happily take him in the third, but I don't think he'd be good as a 3-4 OLB. To me he's a 4-3 DE only. Totally agree on Upshaw though, who is grossly overrated and has been for a year now.

Pat Sims 90 04-24-2012 06:51 AM

Bequette is strickly a 4-3 DE way too stiff to be a 3-4 OLB. Very average athlete more then likely will be taken on day 3.

SolidGold 04-24-2012 06:52 AM

If anyone takes stock in the combine drills to prove athleticism here is a comparison:

Chandler Jones: 40 - 4.87, Vert - 35.0, Broad Jump 120, 3 cone 7.07, 20 yd shuttle 4.38

Jake Beguette: 40 - 4.82, Vert 34.0, Broad Jump 113, 3 cone 6.90, 20 yd shuttle 4.07

Fairly similar measureables save the broad jump. Bequette did all his damage and got all his production in a much tougher conference as well. I think he is more pro ready and could be a perennial 8-10 sack guy that can play the run. Jones is getting hyped up because his brother is a great MMA fighter and has a halfway decent brother playing DT for the Ravens. I would take Bequette any day of the week.

The two drills that Bequette really blows Jones out of the water are the 3-cone:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?con...e=wi th-video

and 20 yd shuttle:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?con...e=wi th-video

Per the definitions and what each drill measures Bequette is actually not stiff and able to move in space and shift his body weight better than Jones.

Iamcanadian 04-24-2012 09:23 AM

He's a 4-3 DE with short arms. He's on the ground too much for my liking and hasn't a clue how to use his hands. Doesn't handle double teams too well and isn't as tough as you would like.
Could actually play OLB as he seems to handle coverage pretty good, intense competitor, with an outstanding work ethic.
Likely a 3rd rounder but round 4 isn't out of the question.

onejayhawk 04-24-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 2963424)
I agree that Bequette isn't getting the love he deserves at least from the internet draft nicks. But really, he has nothing on Chandler Jones, who is a much better athlete. I like Bequette and would happily take him in the third, but I don't think he'd be good as a 3-4 OLB. To me he's a 4-3 DE only. Totally agree on Upshaw though, who is grossly overrated and has been for a year now.

Backwards, and this kind of thinking is why Bequette is not getting enough love. Jones is a decent prospect, but Bequette is noticibly better. You have a point that Q is better as a 4-3 DE. For one thing he is stout on the run, but has the pass rush potential someone like Upshaw does not have.

J

mightytitan9 04-24-2012 12:08 PM

I really don't see why people think Jones is a 3-4 OLB guy, he is stiff with poor change of direction.

I have Jones as a 2nd round prospect

I love Bequette, my only concern is limited upside. I think he'll end up being a Dave Ball type, I would love the Titans to grab him in the 4th

TitanHope 04-24-2012 01:57 PM

I love Bequette. But Bequette can't bend off the edge. When he does, he hits the turf. And I'm not sure he has the explosion to compensate for that. He's good at what he does, which is overpowering the OT and mauling his way to the QB.

Prospect wise, I think Chandler Jones edges Bequette because Jones bends better and is more explosive off the line. For a DE, those two things are major.

1funguy 04-24-2012 01:58 PM

I have him in my 6th round cluster along with Adrian Hamilton as 3-4 OLB's.

onejayhawk 04-24-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1funguy (Post 2963915)
I have him in my 6th round cluster along with Adrian Hamilton as 3-4 OLB's.

I have him late 2nd round/early 3rd.

JOnes I have as mid to late 3rd.

J

1funguy 04-24-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onejayhawk (Post 2963938)
I have him late 2nd round/early 3rd.

JOnes I have as mid to late 3rd.

J

I think Bequette is gonna fall much later than that.

Jones I also have in the 3rd but hype is gonna push him higher, IMO.

IndyColtScout 04-24-2012 02:18 PM

I think he's going day 2.

Is he Jared Allen or Chad Bratzke?

1funguy 04-24-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyColtScout (Post 2963947)
I think he's going day 2.

Is he Jared Allen or Chad Bratzke?

hahahahaha I won't predict Jared Allen, but I do believe he'll make a nice complementary piece for someone running the 3-4.

IndyColtScout 04-24-2012 02:26 PM

No one knew Jared Allen would be all pro.

I think Jakes an end. He could probably translate to LB but hes going to bulk up at the next level. Your going to have a Mario Williams effect on him.

1funguy 04-24-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyColtScout (Post 2963958)
No one knew Jared Allen would be all pro

Quite true - I'm just not bold enough to make that sort of prediction.

mightytitan9 04-24-2012 02:28 PM

He'll probably go 4th-5th round, but I think that's a fairly good deal. Like I said on the Titans thread, he may never be a top DE, but he's a guy I'm fairly confident in being a solid rotational guy at worst.