Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Buddy Nix Says Jonathan Martin is Best Player on Board (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52653)

MI_Buckeye 04-27-2012 11:30 AM

Buddy Nix Says Jonathan Martin is Best Player on Board

Nix just announced on Colin Cowherd's show that he thinks Martin was the best player not drafted in the first round. Buffalo's biggest need is LT. I would say this is a smokescreen, but I've always found Nix to be foolishly transparent around draft time. If he really believes this, and the Bills don't end up with Martin, shame on him. They are picking 41st (ninth tonight), it should be easy to secure him.

A Perfect Score 04-27-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Buckeye (Post 2971568)
Nix just announced on Colin Cowherd's show that he thinks Martin was the best player not drafted in the first round. Buffalo's biggest need is LT. I would say this is a smokescreen, but I've always found Nix to be foolishly transparent around draft time. If he really believes this, and the Bills don't end up with Martin, shame on him. They are picking 41st (ninth tonight), it should be easy to secure him.

Not that I've ever really attributed an overwhelming amount of intelligence to Buddy Nix, but it would make a lot more sense if they felt Cordy Glenn was the best OT on the board and they're trying to make it look like they want Martin. Nix loves southern players, and Glenn comes with an SEC pedigree and position versatility that Martin doesn't have. I think Glenn seems much more in line with what Buffalo would want.

ATLDirtyBirds 04-27-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 2971576)
Not that I've ever really attributed an overwhelming amount of intelligence to Buddy Nix, but it would make a lot more sense if they felt Cordy Glenn was the best OT on the board and they're trying to make it look like they want Martin. Nix loves southern players, and Glenn comes with an SEC pedigree and position versatility that Martin doesn't have. I think Glenn seems much more in line with what Buffalo would want.

Agreed. Martin's just not that good.

MI_Buckeye 04-27-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 2971576)

Except that their biggest need is LT, and Glenn is not a LT by any means. If I were Nix, I would take Jeff Allen and be done with it.

Hurricanes25 04-27-2012 11:48 AM

Martin is extremely soft. He doesn't get much of a push at all.

redbills 04-27-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Buckeye (Post 2971605)
Except that their biggest need is LT, and Glenn is not a LT by any means. If I were Nix, I would take Jeff Allen and be done with it.

Well Dough Whaley said someone with Glenn size, arm length and feet you try him out at LT.
Said Martin needs to add strength before starting.

SuperPacker 04-27-2012 11:55 AM

I dont know why he would think Martin is the BPA, so it must be a smokescreen. I'd take Mitchell Schwartz, Mike Adams and Cordy Glenn over him.

Leon Sandcastle 04-27-2012 11:56 AM

Hmmm. Interesting. He's pretty much a straight shooter so I'm going to take him at face value.

They like both over Riley Reiff if that counts for anything. A part of me still thinks he wants Cordy Glenn more. Seems much more of a Nix pick than Martin.

Grizzlegom 04-27-2012 11:57 AM

Nix doesn't beat around the bush. I honestly think he really feels that way haha

vidae 04-27-2012 12:34 PM

There is nothing I like about Martin. At all. Every time I saw him I was completely underwhelmed. Always looked soft to me. Not sure he has the feet for LT and definitely too soft for RT.

tjsunstein 04-27-2012 12:38 PM

Best lineman still on the board is Silatolu but Glenn's versatility makes him more intriguing. Martin isn't very good.

Matthew Jones 04-27-2012 12:42 PM

I would agree that Martin is one of the top players available. He reminds me of Derek Sherrod from last year. Very intelligent, hard-working, disciplined, reliable left tackle with nimble feet and is a much more aggressive run blocker than many people seem to think.

Bills2083 04-27-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Except the fact that time and time again Bills scouts have said that feel Glenn can come in and play LT for us.

Matthew Jones 04-27-2012 12:53 PM

I wouldn't be surprised with either Glenn or Martin but if both were on the board I think Martin would be the pick. He is more effective at handling speed and plays with superior technique. Glenn's length and anchor are appealing but he is the more inconsistent performer and not the natural left tackle that Martin is.

Iamcanadian 04-27-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

I agree, Allen should be their pick.

Monomach 04-27-2012 01:05 PM

Smokescreen. I'm guessing he wants Bobbie Massie.

Matthew Jones 04-27-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 2971780)
Smokescreen. I'm guessing he wants Bobbie Massie.

I do think Massie has the potential to play left tackle and would be a decent value where Buffalo is picking but since everyone is giving Matt Kalil major props for beating out Tyron Smith for the left tackle spot at USC, why has the fact that Massie never beat out Bradley Sowell for the blindside role at Mississippi not affected his stock at all?

MI_Buckeye 04-27-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2971811)
I do think Massie has the potential to play left tackle and would be a decent value where Buffalo is picking but since everyone is giving Matt Kalil major props for beating out Tyron Smith for the left tackle spot at USC, why has the fact that Massie never beat out Bradley Sowell for the blindside role at Mississippi not affected his stock at all?

Well, Massie was a full two years behind Sowell. And RT is just as important in Houston Nutt's offense anyways. Shawn Andrews never started on the left side at Arkansas.

Iamcanadian 04-27-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Buckeye (Post 2971842)
Well, Massie was a full two years behind Sowell.

Massie is strictly a RT prospect, a good one at that but hardly a serious contender to play LT.

vidae 04-27-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2971847)
Massie is strictly a RT prospect, a good one at that but hardly a serious contender to play LT.

I disagree. I think you start him off at RT but he could eventually move over to the other side.

billsfootball15 04-27-2012 01:58 PM

Buddy doesnt smokescreen. He promised the fans to make a splash in free agency and he reeled in Mario. He laughed at reports of us trading up for Kalil, and said that there are players in the secondary they really liked and they took Gilmore. Buddys a straightshooter.

SuperPacker 04-27-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billsfootball15 (Post 2971915)
Buddy doesnt smokescreen. He promised the fans to make a splash in free agency and he reeled in Mario. He laughed at reports of us trading up for Kalil, and said that there are players in the secondary they really liked and they took Gilmore. Buddys a straightshooter.

But because everyone think he doesnt smokescreen, his smokescreens will actually work! Genius.

billsfootball15 04-27-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 2971922)
But because everyone think he doesnt smokescreen, his smokescreens will actually work! Genius.

He tells the truth about signing the biggest defensive free agent in NFL history and gives us his gameplan for the first round so he can start throwing up smokescreens come days 2 and 3 of the draft.

Bills2083 04-27-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 2971904)
I disagree. I think you start him off at RT but he could eventually move over to the other side.

The Bills' scouts disagree with this. They said they feel Massie is strictly a RT. Not saying I agree or disagree with you, I'm just saying the Bills do.

CC.SD 04-27-2012 04:07 PM

He's wrong, it's Jenkins. Who cares if he's a fat dopehead, watch the film. Still don't want him on my team though.