Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Draft Countdown's Values & Reaches (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52734)

Scott Wright 04-30-2012 12:38 PM

Draft Countdown's Values & Reaches

Top Values and Reaches in the 2012 NFL Draft
http://draftcountdown.com/Results/Values-Reaches.php

Blackluck 04-30-2012 12:51 PM

The Wilson selection is really inexplicable. With all the scrutiny the draft is under these days, there would have been some 'buzz' about the player, but even folks at Illinois were shocked. I think it just boils down to BB pulling the 'smartest guy in the room' act again. Given the current state of the Patriot pass defense, I don't think he (or whoever is scouting the dbs at NE) qualifies for any special insights into DB talents. The opportunity costs alone (i.e. who we could have drafted instead) just add to how bad this pick will most likely turn out.

A Perfect Score 04-30-2012 01:00 PM

I still fail to understand the mid round picks for the Ravens. They seem inexplicable to me. Pierce, Gradkowski and Thompson are all such unstereotypical Ravens picks, especially with much better players on the board at every selection.

Scott Wright 04-30-2012 01:06 PM

In regards to Wilson, I think we saw a lot of reaches at the safety position this year and that was a direct result of the lack of depth. Similar to tight end, teams were kind of scrambling for solutions and there really wasn't much of a consensus after the top two of Barron and Smith.

49ersfan_87 04-30-2012 01:23 PM

Are you going to do draft grades by writeup or podcast this year?

fenikz 04-30-2012 01:38 PM

I personally like Fleming & Bethel's value over Potter but guess we can't have 4 on the list

wicket 04-30-2012 01:46 PM

Hicks wasnt a good pick but imo he was about the best value the saints got. The mindbogglers were tiller and white iyam although all picks outside of toon reeked op reaches.

K Train 04-30-2012 01:47 PM

#1: David Decastro

Scott Wright 04-30-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 (Post 2979643)
Are you going to do draft grades by writeup or podcast this year?

YES!

This weeks podcast will be a review of the first round and then we will do four consecutive shows breaking down each and every pick, eight teams per week.

As always I will be writing in-depth reviews on each team for the site too, but I spread those out in May in an effort to hopefully keep people coming back during the slow times. :o)

vidae 04-30-2012 02:28 PM

Score! Chiefs with one value and no reaches! \o/

Scott Wright 04-30-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 2979678)
I personally like Fleming & Bethel's value over Potter but guess we can't have 4 on the list

Did you think Bethel or Fleming were going to come off the board drastically earlier than they did? Personally, I thought that was right where they were expected to be chosen.

keylime_5 04-30-2012 02:29 PM

I don't think Posey was a reach in the third round. Nate Ebner getting drafting though was funny. Guy was a walk on at Ohio State and was only ever a special teams player and only ever will be a special teams player with absolutely no upside to do anything else. I guess he's more likely to play in the NFL for a decade than any other player taken in the last two rounds though if you think about it, kinda like a longsnapper or kicker.

fenikz 04-30-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2979840)
Did you think Bethel or Fleming were going to come off the board drastically earlier than they did? Personally, I thought that was right where they were expected to be chosen.

about a round later for both, which is what I have for Potter same with Kelemete

Floyd(top 10)
Fleming(2nd)
Massie(2nd)
Kelemete(4th)
Bethel(5th)
Lindley(6th)
Potter(6th)

cotts1 05-01-2012 09:27 AM

Not sure how Broyles is a reach in round 2. The guy set NCAA records. He may not have elite measurables but he is a great football player. ACL injuries are not a big deal anymore. It has become a routine surgery and the majority have come back with no problems. I have a feeling you will be wrong about this designation. Lions just gave themselves a deadly 4 WR set to match up with Green Bay.

K Train 05-01-2012 09:33 AM

i feel like brian quick was a reach, especially considering who was on the board at that point

SchizophrenicBatman 05-01-2012 10:04 AM

I'd love to see the "reach" and "steal" breakdown from 2007, 8, 9 etc

BuddyCHRIST 05-01-2012 01:17 PM

It blows my mind that someone would take a punter in the 3rd round, while the best punter in the draft class (Powell) goes undrafted. How can NFL teams be so stupid?