Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   How Many Round 1 / 2 RB's Next Year? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52785)

Jimmy 05-02-2012 11:39 PM

How Many Round 1 / 2 RB's Next Year?
 
I think next year's RB crop may be one of the best in quite some time, especially for teams in the 25-50 range.

Christine Michael is a surefire top 20 pick without the injuries he's suffered. If he can shake away injury concerns and put up a solid year next year, he's gold. He's suffered two completely different injuries - one was a left ACL and one was a cracked tibia. Most "injury prone" players have problems with ligaments and muscles. Michael does have to prove he can rebound, but if he can, someone will take a chance on him by the second at the very least. He has some of the best tape in next year's draft.

Montee Ball - I have a full scouting report written up. I'll keep it at this. I believe he is late first, but most likely early second round quality. I think he'll be a very good back for a very good team, or if he doesn't go in that 25-32 range, I think he'll be a pretty average back. Despite playing in a running system (if there ever was one) with the best o-linemen in the land, Ball still has tons of lateral burst, decent leg drive and size, and very solid vision and patience.

Cameron Marshall - This kid is a slimmer, faster version of Mike Tolbert, I'd say damn close to Jonathan Stewart. Completely under the radar. He's knocked off several 60+ yard runs with defenders at his ankles WITH ankle sprains.. In terms of sheer power, all I'll say is - GET OFF ME.

Absolutely no chance of arm tackling him above the waste. You can catch him in a footrace, but you better hurry. His build is so burfict-esque that the naked eye tells me he can't be as good as he is. But he's the real deal. He's gonna EXPLODE next year.

This doesn't even include any mid-major prospects, undersized scatback types, Marcus Lattimore (lock for round 1), Joseph Randle, Michael Dyer, Eddie Lacy and Knile Davis. AND Ray Graham.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 6+ of these guys go in the first 2 rounds next year.

Matthew Jones 05-03-2012 12:07 AM

I don't think Montee Ball is going to be a first-round pick. He's not nearly special or dynamic enough to warrant a top pick, especially now that the league has shifted towards passing the ball. Keep in mind that Wisconsin had a prolific passing game last year and one of the top offensive lines in football. I see Ball as a runner with good vision who picks up what yardage is available but he's not explosive or powerful enough for the first round.

gator3guy 05-03-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2983672)
I don't think Montee Ball is going to be a first-round pick. He's not nearly special or dynamic enough to warrant a top pick, especially now that the league has shifted towards passing the ball. Keep in mind that Wisconsin had a prolific passing game last year and one of the top offensive lines in football. I see Ball as a runner with good vision who picks up what yardage is available but he's not explosive or powerful enough for the first round.


Gotta agree. He's obviously a good player, but you gotta think he is a product of the system. He runs behind a pro line (or did). Dayne, Davis, Hill, Clay all couldn't find there niche in the NFL. He's a different player, but I don't think he's special.

jrdrylie 05-03-2012 09:36 AM

Yeah, I don't think Ball will be a first rounder either. I think he was wrong to go back to school this year. He had over 300 carries last year and he'll probably have a similar amount this year.

I would compare him to Kevin Smith a few years ago. Decent size. Decent physical skills. But nothing dynamic and way too many carries on his legs. I wouldn't draft him before the third at the highest.

cmarq83 05-03-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2983672)
I don't think Montee Ball is going to be a first-round pick. He's not nearly special or dynamic enough to warrant a top pick, especially now that the league has shifted towards passing the ball. Keep in mind that Wisconsin had a prolific passing game last year and one of the top offensive lines in football. I see Ball as a runner with good vision who picks up what yardage is available but he's not explosive or powerful enough for the first round.

I really think that Montee Ball is a lot more talented than most people here give him credit for. His burst, toughness, and moves in the open field grade out as above average for a college back, and when you combine that with his elite vision and receiving ability I think you have the makings of a late first round back. He's every bit as good as Ingram and I think he's better than Doug Martin. People look at some of the holes opened up by Zeitler, Konz, and Wagner open up, and certainly a lot of Ball's success is a result of that, but I think Ball has flashed enough on broken plays and in the open field to show that it's not all a product of that line. 39 TD's is something special regardless of how talented your line is.

TimmG6376 05-03-2012 09:48 AM

I would love to have Montee on the Packers. He fits the scheme and what they like out of their RBs, however, if it is going to take a first round pick I'm not sure it will happen.

I agree with cmarq that he gets dismissed in some circles as a benefactor of that line but I think he will buck the trend for WI running backs.

draftguru151 05-03-2012 10:21 AM

I definitely would have taken Ball over Martin this year (depending on workouts obviously). Really shocked he didn't come out after the season he had.

Giantsfan1080 05-03-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 2983845)
I definitely would have taken Ball over Martin this year (depending on workouts obviously). Really shocked he didn't come out after the season he had.

I agree. All the extra hits he takes this year are going to be a big turn off to a lot of executives in the league.

A Perfect Score 05-03-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 2983854)
I agree. All the extra hits he takes this year are going to be a big turn off to a lot of executives in the league.

I couldn't understand why he didn't declare after the enormous year he just had either.

And I'm so curious to see how Lattimore rebounds from the injury and whether he's able to make the same level of impact. He's obviously a first round talent if he's healthy, but I want to see if he can put together the type of dominant season I was expecting of him in his draft season.

jojo 05-03-2012 11:20 AM

Hmmmm, Lattimore isn't next yr's Richardson, he's coming back from a bigtime injury.

Although not popular as they once were, low NFL career span means an annual need to reload for most teams.

But overall much better & deeper RB class, so I said 3 taken. Marshall & Ball are really intriguing.

Spartan4224 05-03-2012 11:37 AM

We'll See
 
Ball was like Emmitt Smith with the Cowboys. There were too many times he wasn't touched until he was 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. He is good but the Wisky O-Line made him look great. This year could mean the difference of a 2nd round back (if he looks good) or a 5th round back (if it truely was the O-line).

gator3guy 05-03-2012 11:42 AM

Don't forget about Knile Davis. If he comes back 100% watch out.

ATLDirtyBirds 05-03-2012 12:42 PM

I love Michael Dyer.

Iamcanadian 05-03-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy (Post 2983644)
I think next year's RB crop may be one of the best in quite some time, especially for teams in the 25-50 range.

Christine Michael is a surefire top 20 pick without the injuries he's suffered. If he can shake away injury concerns and put up a solid year next year, he's gold. He's suffered two completely different injuries - one was a left ACL and one was a cracked tibia. Most "injury prone" players have problems with ligaments and muscles. Michael does have to prove he can rebound, but if he can, someone will take a chance on him by the second at the very least. He has some of the best tape in next year's draft.

Montee Ball - I have a full scouting report written up. I'll keep it at this. I believe he is late first, but most likely early second round quality. I think he'll be a very good back for a very good team, or if he doesn't go in that 25-32 range, I think he'll be a pretty average back. Despite playing in a running system (if there ever was one) with the best o-linemen in the land, Ball still has tons of lateral burst, decent leg drive and size, and very solid vision and patience.

Cameron Marshall - This kid is a slimmer, faster version of Mike Tolbert, I'd say damn close to Jonathan Stewart. Completely under the radar. He's knocked off several 60+ yard runs with defenders at his ankles WITH ankle sprains.. In terms of sheer power, all I'll say is - GET OFF ME.

Absolutely no chance of arm tackling him above the waste. You can catch him in a footrace, but you better hurry. His build is so burfict-esque that the naked eye tells me he can't be as good as he is. But he's the real deal. He's gonna EXPLODE next year.

This doesn't even include any mid-major prospects, undersized scatback types, Marcus Lattimore (lock for round 1), Joseph Randle, Michael Dyer, Eddie Lacy and Knile Davis. AND Ray Graham.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 6+ of these guys go in the first 2 rounds next year.

I believe next year's RB crop is particularly weak. Only Lattimore IMO, rates a 1st round grade and I'm not seeing a lot of 2nd round talent either. Michael has had way too many serious injuries to get drafted early, Ball is just another Wisconsin RB who will have trouble at the next level and right now I don't see Marshall going too high.
Now, they still have to play and a couple might rise above the crowd and make it into round 2 but that is the absolute limit IMO.

gator3guy 05-03-2012 01:05 PM

Guys will emerge, I think we can count on that.

Iamcanadian 05-03-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 2983845)
I definitely would have taken Ball over Martin this year (depending on workouts obviously). Really shocked he didn't come out after the season he had.

He probably didn't declare because the NFL Advisory Board gave him a pretty low ranking and it indicates to me that he is just another Wisconsin RB who will have a great deal of difficulty making the jump to the next level.

jrdrylie 05-03-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds (Post 2984005)
I love Michael Dyer.

I'm very curious to see if he declares for next year's draft. Since he transferred to Arkansas State, he'll have to sit out next season. Would he really declare after sitting out the entire year?

Spaceboy1 05-06-2012 02:48 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKdmmyvM5vM

This kid can really play, only going to be a Junior tho...

Mufasa 05-06-2012 03:20 AM

I think Ingram is a decent comparison. Ball is a late first to mid second talent. He's not going to be a game breaker in the NFL, but he can get yardage consistently. That has been an underrated aspect in the pro game, and right fully so, but to a team that has the rest figured our like New Orlens or Green Bay, he could be a very valuable asset.

wicket 05-06-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mufasa (Post 2987588)
I think Ingram is a decent comparison. Ball is a late first to mid second talent. He's not going to be a game breaker in the NFL, but he can get yardage consistently. That has been an underrated aspect in the pro game, and right fully so, but to a team that has the rest figured our like New Orlens or Green Bay, he could be a very valuable asset.

ball is tougher than ingram, more useful in garbage time, outside of that i like the comparison, if the saints nab ball i would however kill people because the only style rb that has high pick value for a saints-style offense is the sproles style scatback, they are substantially more important than the traditional backs

TACKLE 05-06-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceboy1 (Post 2987579)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKdmmyvM5vM

This kid can really play, only going to be a Junior tho...

You know, I remember watching Houston play during the regular season. I'm not sure who against but I think it was UTEP. Anyway, I knew nothing of Sims but remember watching this #5 for Houston and thinking what a great one-cut, zone runner he could be. His ability to just plant and go really impressed me. To be honest, I kinda forgot about him til just now. Definitely a guy I'm gonna keep my eye on this year and with Hayes (and Keenum) gone he should get a lot more work.

Brent 05-06-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy (Post 2983644)
Christine Michael is a surefire top 20 pick without the injuries he's suffered. If he can shake away injury concerns and put up a solid year next year, he's gold. He's suffered two completely different injuries - one was a left ACL and one was a cracked tibia. Most "injury prone" players have problems with ligaments and muscles. Michael does have to prove he can rebound, but if he can, someone will take a chance on him by the second at the very least. He has some of the best tape in next year's draft.

If he can manage to stay healthy this year, it should noted that this is the first time in his career that he'll not be the #2 back. However, we did get a transfer from OU who, if he can play, might be better than Michael, though he's only a sophomore.

SoCalBam 05-06-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy (Post 2983644)
I think next year's RB crop may be one of the best in quite some time, especially for teams in the 25-50 range.

Christine Michael is a surefire top 20 pick without the injuries he's suffered. If he can shake away injury concerns and put up a solid year next year, he's gold. He's suffered two completely different injuries - one was a left ACL and one was a cracked tibia. Most "injury prone" players have problems with ligaments and muscles. Michael does have to prove he can rebound, but if he can, someone will take a chance on him by the second at the very least. He has some of the best tape in next year's draft.

Montee Ball - I have a full scouting report written up. I'll keep it at this. I believe he is late first, but most likely early second round quality. I think he'll be a very good back for a very good team, or if he doesn't go in that 25-32 range, I think he'll be a pretty average back. Despite playing in a running system (if there ever was one) with the best o-linemen in the land, Ball still has tons of lateral burst, decent leg drive and size, and very solid vision and patience.

Cameron Marshall - This kid is a slimmer, faster version of Mike Tolbert, I'd say damn close to Jonathan Stewart. Completely under the radar. He's knocked off several 60+ yard runs with defenders at his ankles WITH ankle sprains.. In terms of sheer power, all I'll say is - GET OFF ME.

Absolutely no chance of arm tackling him above the waste. You can catch him in a footrace, but you better hurry. His build is so burfict-esque that the naked eye tells me he can't be as good as he is. But he's the real deal. He's gonna EXPLODE next year.

This doesn't even include any mid-major prospects, undersized scatback types, Marcus Lattimore (lock for round 1), Joseph Randle, Michael Dyer, Eddie Lacy and Knile Davis. AND Ray Graham.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 6+ of these guys go in the first 2 rounds next year.

Bet 3-4 with Lattimore, Ball and Dyer fairly solid barring anything unforeseen.

Razor 05-06-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBam (Post 2987664)
Bet 3-4 with Lattimore, Ball and Dyer fairly solid barring anything unforeseen.

I'm beginning to think that Dyer is somewhat overrated. He seems to hesitant at times and often backtracks instead of taking the yards that the defense gives him. It reminds me of Maroney and that's not what you want to do as a RB.

OSUGiants17 05-06-2012 11:48 AM

Lattimore, Ball, Davis, Lacey or Graham and Marshall


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.