Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   What about Poe? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52802)

onejayhawk 05-03-2012 05:56 PM

What about Poe?

How good was the pick?

J

King Carls 5 Year Plan 05-04-2012 01:34 PM

Lol, I wanted Weeden. Thats funny

vidae 05-04-2012 02:27 PM

Good value and I trust that RAC and Anthony Pleasent can get the most out of him. The reports that he was lazy or had a bad motor are completely false.

I just want him to get to camp and get to work asap. Hit the weight room and start working on hand placement/hand movement stuff.

Splat 05-04-2012 04:05 PM

I voted "I wanted Weeden" just to see vidae's head explode. :freakout:

vidae 05-04-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splat (Post 2985947)

SoCalBam 05-05-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splat (Post 2985947)

Funny......

TheBoyWonder22 05-05-2012 12:33 AM

I love how Todd McShay's justification for his low rating of Poe is that he isn't a pass rusher...WTF. Learn football Todd!

onejayhawk 05-05-2012 01:55 AM

I dont get how so many people think Dontari Poe has a high bust potential. Every player has a risk of performing short of his slot, granted. The upside are the much overused All Pro names that are used because they are also very large. But the Chiefs did not pay for that. They paid the #11 pick.

At worst, Poe is going to be a huge, powerful run stuffer, with exceptional endurance. Even without jaw dropping workout numbers, that kind of thing is expensive. If Poe is nothing but a more mobile Terrance Cody, that still has real value.

J

King Carls 5 Year Plan 06-17-2012 10:48 AM

the idea of picking Dontari is growing on me, a lot. his athleticism was never in question. his ability to step in and mentaly handle the game @ an NFL level. his ability to learn, read and react in the correct way to make an impact on this team. to this point in his career, he is doing everything right and he appears to have a thirst for knowledge.

nepg 06-17-2012 03:24 PM

Sounds like he's picking up everything they're throwing at him pretty easily.

onejayhawk 06-17-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan (Post 3034043)
the idea of picking Dontari is growing on me, a lot. his athleticism was never in question. his ability to step in and mentaly handle the game @ an NFL level. his ability to learn, read and react in the correct way to make an impact on this team. to this point in his career, he is doing everything right and he appears to have a thirst for knowledge.

I never heard any indication he did not play hard, just that he was overused. It appears he also lacked even basic coaching. If he has been having to figure things out on his own, having a knowledgeable teacher will be like water in the desert.

If Crennnel's handling of Wilfork is any indication, he will be getting a lot of work on the fundamentals before he sees much game time in the middle. Both RC and Pioli say he will be on the pass rush package, which also jives. Expect him to play more DE than NT for a while. Gordon and Power are also looking good, so the middle is suddenly loaded with talent.

J

vidae 06-18-2012 01:29 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Poe start this year. I know NTs generally don't start their first year (at least not at NT) but I think Poe is going to be the exception to the rule.

And I do think he's a third down player. First two at NT, third downs at DE. I want to see what this kid can do.

TheBoyWonder22 06-18-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3034515)
And I do think he's a third down player. First two at NT, third downs at DE. I want to see what this kid can do.

I don't get this Vid. Why wouldn't he play DT? You certainly have too many good outside pass rushers to be playing Poe at DE.

onejayhawk 06-18-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoyWonder22 (Post 3034553)
I don't get this Vid. Why wouldn't he play DT? You certainly have too many good outside pass rushers to be playing Poe at DE.

DE in the pass rush package is a DT, sort of. There are only 2 down linemen, hence both are DE. But Hali and Houston are outside them, essentially stand up DEs. In any event, he lines up on the RG, though he can favor either shoulder. His job is to collapse the pocket.

J

TheBoyWonder22 06-18-2012 06:49 AM

Ok, I was unaware the Chiefs package worked that way. So we meant the same thing. That's a weird method. I think I'd prefer four down linemen.

nepg 06-18-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3034515)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Poe start this year. I know NTs generally don't start their first year (at least not at NT) but I think Poe is going to be the exception to the rule.

If he does, it probably won't be until mid-year at the earliest if Gordon/Powe aren't getting it done or if Poe is just too good to hold back.

descendency 06-18-2012 09:16 AM

Unless they play really really wide, it's weird to refer to a 2 man line as having "DEs".

onejayhawk 06-19-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nepg (Post 3034591)
If he does, it probably won't be until mid-year at the earliest if Gordon/Powe aren't getting it done or if Poe is just too good to hold back.

Also, if he plays most of the passing downs, he will be getting 40-50%% of the snaps. Add in GL/short yardage/jumbo packages and he will be close to the normal amount of work a front line player gets. Rotations are necessary.

J

vidae 06-19-2012 05:06 PM

I'm just excited to see what kind of impact he can have on the run defense. We've been really bad at defending the run for years now and that has to change. I can't wait to see him in the trenches.

King Carls 5 Year Plan 06-20-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3035607)
I'm just excited to see what kind of impact he can have on the run defense. We've been really bad at defending the run for years now and that has to change. I can't wait to see him in the trenches.

yeah, you would figure a run clogging NT would be a huge impact on Dorsey and Jackson, who are already better at stopping the run than rushing the passer. the benefits of a really good NT in this defense is almost unlimited. EVERYONE is a lot better. i just hope we see some of that this year rather than 3 years down the road

KCStud 06-21-2012 01:49 AM

Poe is going to specifically be used in Wallace Gilberry's old position. I bet Romeo and Pioli were just as tired as we were of seeing our 3rd down package fail because Gilberry is getting tossed like a rag doll on the 3rd down draw plays.

I just hope that Poe gets push up the middle on 3rd down. If he does that, then this defense is top 5.

Poe doing well will make everyone better. This could be a great pick.

bored of education 08-05-2012 02:27 PM

Best pick ever.

onejayhawk 08-05-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored of education (Post 3079891)
Best pick ever.

Is there anything new driving this?

J