Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Giants WR Hakeem Nicks breaks his foot in OTAs (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53050)

Shane P. Hallam 05-24-2012 03:03 PM

Giants WR Hakeem Nicks breaks his foot in OTAs

Out for 12 weeks, should be ready for the season still.

He'll have surgery Friday to have screws inserted

BaLLiN 05-24-2012 03:04 PM

not to be discrespectful, but does this really need its own thread? We're already talking about it in the Giants team thread and there is an OTA thread already.

bigbluedefense 05-24-2012 03:06 PM

Ramses Barden to the rescue!

Jvig43 05-24-2012 03:49 PM

Well this makes my keeper selections much more interesting.

Rob S 05-24-2012 07:23 PM

I'm not touching Nicks in fantasy. I don't trust him. If he is a keeper with good value, that could change things, but I doubt I will draft him as highly as most others.

RCAChainGang 05-24-2012 07:26 PM

Ugh that is awful news. Hate to hear this kinda stuff.

whatadai 05-24-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaLLiN (Post 3011933)
not to be discrespectful, but does this really need its own thread? We're already talking about it in the Giants team thread and there is an OTA thread already.

disrespectful.

Caulibflower 05-24-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Top-5 receiver in the NFL breaks his foot? Thread-worthy. Super Bowl champions' leading receiver breaks his foot? Thread-worthy.

2x.

Brothgar 05-24-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3012403)
Top-5 receiver in the NFL breaks his foot? Thread-worthy. Super Bowl champions' leading receiver breaks his foot? Thread-worthy.

2x.

This if it were Darvin Adams who breaks his foot not thread worthy. Hakeem Nicks breaks foot thread worthy.

But so this isn't a fully wasted post. I wonder if this affects him for the season when a player misses training camp and Pre Season it sometimes hurts the regular season production.

Also the return of Plax?

tjsunstein 05-24-2012 11:15 PM

That's what he gets for dropping that TD last year and ruining my fantasy year! No, Im just bitter. This should be interesting to see how much they miss the Manningham outlet.

bigbluedefense 05-24-2012 11:43 PM

Hopefully Randle steps up and gives us production. I have high expectations for Randle. I think he can be better as a #3 WR than Manningham was with time.

With Nicks getting hurt, this actually helps Randle get more reps in training camp and hopefully that will accelerate his development. Our system is very difficult to master for a WR, it's very rare that a WR steps into our system and picks it up right away, so the more reps the better for Randle. We run the most complex offense in the league.

In a perfect world, Barden or Jernigan would step into that 3rd WR role since both have been in the system now, but I don't see that happening.

FUNBUNCHER 05-25-2012 12:25 AM

Really this is for practical purposes almost a non-story. If Nicks is fully healthy by week 10, it would fit perfectly with the Giants MO.

BaLLiN 05-25-2012 12:08 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_920323.html

8/6 was the date that Prince had the injury, debuted November 20th against the eagles. So lets do some math here...

104 days from the surgery date (8/8 i'm pretty sure). So 104/7= 14.857142857142857~15 weeks. Now Prince was actually almost put on the roster for the game the week previous, but knowing that he wasn't adept with the terminology and defense he was not. So there is a case that the rehab would actually be 14 weeks.

The opener on september 5th will be a total of 110 days (~16 weeks) from today (Hakeem's surgery date). So I am not saying that Hakeem will be back, but given previous players with this injury, he will be able to play around that time. Also, there is a possibility that Hakeem could be back even earlier because of that 1 week that Prince wasn't put in the lineup but almost was, and also because he might get better blood supply to the area.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...amara_suf.html

Beatty had a similar injury but he was only out for 2 months.

Regarding the statement that Nicks's production decreasing due to not playing , I feel like this won't really be the same. He clearly has chemistry with Eli and knows the system well. I am kindof actually happy because now this won't give him the chance of putting stress on his body in camp and although he'll have to adjust, being a guy who frequently gets dinged up this means he might last longer without injury during the season.

Edit:

Also there's this:

Per @adamschefter:
One person familiar with WR Hakeem Nicks' fractured foot said it was more like a "4- to 6-week" injury. Opener vs Dallas still in play.

stlouisfan37 05-25-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Well who told YOU...that you were the one...s'posed ta be goin' around...and bein' the big old...threadworthiness sheriff of the website?
(Mimicking the voice of Bill Cosby)