Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Will there finally be a different AFC team in the Superbowl? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53068)

49ersfan_87 05-27-2012 07:33 PM

Will there finally be a different AFC team in the Superbowl?
 
In the last 9 years, 3 teams have represented the AFC in the SB

-Colts
-Steelers
-Patriots

While the NFC has had 8 different teams and a lot more parity. Which AFC team has the best shot of making the Superbowl this year, besides the 3 listed above (obviously the Colts won't make it this year)

I would say

1-Ravens
2-Broncos (Peyton Manning effect)
3-Texans
4-Jets

Potential sleeper team: Titans. I just like what they've been building and may be able to surprise some people.

Bulldogs 05-27-2012 07:39 PM

It's safe to say the Colts won't make the Superbowl. I don't think the Steelers make it either, that defense continues to age and they lack a great running game. I could very well see a team like the Ravens, Broncos, or Texans making it.

Job Reborn 05-27-2012 08:10 PM

Don't forget about the New York Tebows...

Ness 05-27-2012 08:15 PM

Texans or Ravens are my guess.

bigbluedefense 05-27-2012 09:37 PM

I like the Texans if Schaub can put it together, or the Ravens if Flacco takes the next step, but I don't expect him to. The AFC is weak right now. I don't like the Jets qb situation, the Broncos don't have enough around Peyton just yet, although they are built awfully similar to the Peyton Colts right now so I won't count them out, the Chiefs don't have a qb, the Chargers don't have enough talent.

I still think the 2 big contenders from the AFC are the Pats and Steelers, but if we have to pick outside those 2, I'm going with the Texans or Ravens.

NY+Giants=NYG 05-28-2012 12:14 PM

As long as Dick L. is the steelers DC, I can see them going back. BIll B and the Pats should always be a favorite. Ravens were close, but interested to see if they can take that step and make the SB.

bigbluedefense 05-28-2012 12:30 PM

LeBeau needs some DBs though. That Pittsburgh defense is traditionally built on a sick front 7 but with the passing game becoming so prevalent, they need to invest in some corners.

That Cover 2 shell they use can only do so much.

descendency 05-28-2012 12:42 PM

Since 2001 (Super Bowl XXXVI), there have only been 4 AFC Teams (Patriots, Colts, Steelers, and Raiders).

I think the only (NFC) team to get to the Super Bowl twice in that span is the Giants.

NY+Giants=NYG 05-28-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3015318)
LeBeau needs some DBs though. That Pittsburgh defense is traditionally built on a sick front 7 but with the passing game becoming so prevalent, they need to invest in some corners.

That Cover 2 shell they use can only do so much.

As long as he is there though, great stuff happens. The guy is a legend and is a fixture there. I can see them making the playoffs again, if not go further. I have 1000% trust in him, not like our musical chairs of a DC thing. Imagine if we had consistency on that side of the ball?

Razor 05-28-2012 12:53 PM

If I were to rank the AFC top contenders right now I'd say:

1. New England Patriots
I can't bet against them. With the defense improved and a better group of receivers this should be a dangerous team.

2. Houston Texans
Explosive on both defense and offense. I doubt their depth though and the OL will miss their starters who are now elsewhere.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers
Even though the defense is getting long in the tooth and especially the defensive backfield is lacking their new OL should be able to allow them to run the ball more and go back to their roots.

HMs:
Baltimore Ravens: Flacco is pretty average, and with the defense missing Suggs who might not be his normal self in 2012 at least I don't see the Ravens being as good this year as they were in 2011.

Denver Broncos: Peyton will make them better, but they will not contend for the title.

PoopSandwich 05-28-2012 12:54 PM

Weeden + Richardson = Super Bowl.

Razor 05-28-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3015321)
Since 2001 (Super Bowl XXXVI), there have only been 4 AFC Teams (Patriots, Colts, Steelers, and Raiders).

I think the only (NFC) team to get to the Super Bowl twice in that span is the Giants.

Colts played in the Super Bowl following the '06 and '09 seasons.

descendency 05-28-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 3015331)
Colts played in the Super Bowl following the '06 and '09 seasons.

The Colts are in the AFC.

Razor 05-28-2012 01:03 PM

And I just read that completely wrong lol. I'll just go **** myself.

scar988 05-28-2012 01:16 PM

I'm gonna think outside of the box on this one and go with Buffalo. I just feel like they have all the pieces needed to be really really good on defense and their offense should be able to get around 20-25 points a game.

Razor 05-28-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scar988 (Post 3015347)
I'm gonna think outside of the box on this one and go with Buffalo. I just feel like they have all the pieces needed to be really really good on defense and their offense should be able to get around 20-25 points a game.

The thing about Buffalo is that they don't have any depth pretty much anywhere. Their QB is also prone to throwing dumb INTs, and their OL is still kinda spotty. I like what the Bills have done, but they're not there yet. Maybe a WC contender, but not a real contender for the title IMO.

bigbluedefense 05-28-2012 02:36 PM

Buffalo has potential as a wild card, but I can't see Fitzmagic in the SB.

I don't know if they have the secondary to get there either. I love that front 4, and I love Gailey's system, but they used a lot of smoke and mirrors last year on offense that got figured out halfway through the season, and their back 7 on defense needs improvement.

I'd like to see another playmaker on offense as well.

Sloopy 05-28-2012 02:41 PM

I think you have to go Texans here.

A healthy Schaub and that team might have run train right through the playoffs.

ChiFan24 05-28-2012 04:26 PM

I guess with some of the caliber of teams being mentioned, I'll be the first to say the Chargers. Not that I actually think they'll be that good, but maybe this year the absurdly bad luck will start swinging the other way. And while I think Rivers has regressed a little bit, I'll bet on him before I bet on Schaub or Fitzpatrick.

bigbluedefense 05-28-2012 04:28 PM

The problem I have with the Chargers is their lack of talent. They just aren't all that talented.

For them to make noise this year, Phillip Rivers is really going to have to elevate his game and take over games. He's capable of doing it, so we'll see how it goes.

ChiFan24 05-28-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3015423)
The problem I have with the Chargers is their lack of talent. They just aren't all that talented.

For them to make noise this year, Phillip Rivers is really going to have to elevate his game and take over games. He's capable of doing it, so we'll see how it goes.

Agreed, the talent level has certainly fallen off ever since Buddy Nix left for Buffalo. It would take a big year from Rivers and a bit of a renaissance from Gates. I think the defense is gonna be a lot less awful with Manusky gone, though.

bigbluedefense 05-28-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 3015431)
Agreed, the talent level has certainly fallen off ever since Buddy Nix left for Buffalo. It would take a big year from Rivers and a bit of a renaissance from Gates. I think the defense is gonna be a lot less awful with Manusky gone, though.

Don't forget about Meachem. I think Meachem is being slept on, he can be a legit threat now that he'll be the focal point of the WR core.

SuperMcGee 05-28-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3015381)
Buffalo has potential as a wild card, but I can't see Fitzmagic in the SB.

I don't know if they have the secondary to get there either. I love that front 4, and I love Gailey's system, but they used a lot of smoke and mirrors last year on offense that got figured out halfway through the season, and their back 7 on defense needs improvement.

I'd like to see another playmaker on offense as well.

These are some legitimate concerns.

You could argue that the offense was figured out by week 4 against Cincinnati. Been a huge concern since then. Fitz may have been hurt by broken ribs after our great start, but you could see plain as day that the receivers weren't finding the space they had earlier. When Bell got hurt, Jackson was stuck in pass pro far too much and that took out a huge weapon in our passing game. And then there was no talent to overcome all this from the receiving corps, save Stevie. I crave another weapon there in the worst way. They're hoping it's going to be TJ Graham :/

The moves have already been made for the secondary. It's just a matter of how soon it can pay off. The safeties are set, starters and depth with a good group. The corners are relying on a couple of young talents, assuming McGee won't stay healthy. Gilmore and Williams can be big time players at the position, with a couple other young guys and maybe Leodis shuffling around the depth. It's all to be seen, such a green group. Williams showed promise last year, though. Obviously they're hoping the front 4 will make it a little easier on them.

Linebackers are not an impressive group. I expect a lot of big nickel involving Bryan Scott, with Barnett and Sheppard the mainstays of the group. Could be an average group and that could possibly be good enough. Definitely an area that could have been addressed this past offseason and many are looking forward to being addressed in the near future.

StickSkills 05-28-2012 08:09 PM

Chiefs gonna 1-up the 49ers.

WCH 05-28-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloopy (Post 3015386)
I think you have to go Texans here.

A healthy Schaub and that team might have run train right through the playoffs.

I agree with this, 100%. I wouldn't sleep on the Texans.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.