Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dwight Jones claims to be next Andre Johnson, quits football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53082)

Monomach 05-29-2012 05:37 PM

Dwight Jones claims to be next Andre Johnson, quits football

Texans UFA Dwight Jones: ‘I Am The Next Andre Johnson’

Dwight Jones Informs Texans He Will No Longer Play Football

All in the space of one month. Bravo, Dwight Jones. You are trolling Texans fans in real life.

phlysac 05-29-2012 05:54 PM

Did he quit quicker than Noel Devine? Wow!

Bulldogs 05-29-2012 05:54 PM

I remember Noel Devine.

Ness 05-29-2012 06:09 PM

That's weird. I wonder why he quit, if this story is indeed true. I forgot he went undrafted.

descendency 05-29-2012 07:35 PM

Quitting is death in the NFL. I hope he is sure.

niel89 05-29-2012 08:32 PM

UNC guys seem to lack effort.

BaLLiN 05-29-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 3016460)
NC St guys seem to lack effort.

He went to UNC....

niel89 05-29-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaLLiN (Post 3016470)
He went to UNC....

Damn I meant UNC.

redbills 05-29-2012 09:36 PM

Didn't he get in trouble/yelled at the Sr bowl and combine for not listening/doing the drills wrong?

Go_Eagles77 05-29-2012 09:46 PM

At least Devine attended a few days of Training Camp before pussying out.

Monomach 05-29-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbills (Post 3016502)
Didn't he get in trouble/yelled at the Sr bowl and combine for not listening/doing the drills wrong?

I don't remember that, but I do remember UNC not letting him into the pro day.

phlysac 05-29-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbills (Post 3016502)

That, amongst a list of other things in recent months...

Quote:

According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, position coaches at the Combine "jumped all over" North Carolina WR Dwight Jones in on-field drills for disobeying instructions and a lack of hustle.

Jones apparently ran a bad route at one point in drills and didn't hustle to the other area of the field, where the quarterback placed his pass. Russ Lande of Sporting News also noted that Jones had similar problems at the Senior Bowl, specifically in terms of effort. Though long on potential at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds with 34-inch arms and mid-4.5s speed, Jones has now been flagged as a character risk in an incredibly deep receiver class.
Quote:

North Carolina WR Dwight Jones was barred from working out at the school's Tuesday Pro Day.

Before the Independence Bowl, Jones was briefly declared ineligible after allowing his likeness to be used to promote a party. Jones was reinstated before the bowl game, but ended up attending the party anyway. This questionable decision only adds to Jones' rough offseason. After showing a lack of effort during Senior Bowl week and the Combine, Jones is at best a fifth-round pick.
Quote:

A source with personal knowledge of Texans UDFA receiver Dwight Jones described him as "lazy" and lacking "work ethic to make it in the league."

Jones was highly productive at North Carolina and runs in the 4.5s at 6'3/230, so it's clear that off-the-field question marks pushed him out of the draft. While the Texans have an opening at third wide receiver, Jones will remain a long shot unless the light suddenly flips on. Until that happens, it doesn't matter that Jones has better natural talent than third-round pick DeVier Posey.
Quote:

Undrafted rookie WR Dwight Jones was the only Texans player to not show for the start of OTAs on Tuesday.

Coach Gary Kubiak said Jones' absence was "voluntary," and not injury related. Kubiak described Jones as a player who's "struggling," though he didn't specify mentally or physically. We've independently heard that Jones quit the Texans, though his agent denies it. (Typical.) Jones had character concerns in college, and was knocked for "laziness" and lack of "work ethic" at North Carolina.
Quote:

Undrafted rookie WR Dwight Jones informed Texans officials Tuesday that he no longer wants to play football.

He can expect to be waived shortly. Jones entered the 2011 college season with early second-day grades from NFL scouts, and earned second-team All-ACC honors. He lacked passion for the game, however, and had a red flag-filled spring that included dogging drills at the Combine. Perhaps the Texans will try to talk Jones out of it, but we're no longer holding out hope for his NFL career.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7506/dwight-jones

vidae 05-29-2012 11:42 PM

Good riddance. There are enough guys who scratch and claw to try to get into the NFL who never play. I'd rather get one of the guys who will give you 100% on every down and in every camp than waste it on this guy who has no heart.

comahan 05-29-2012 11:46 PM

I had no idea that he was a Texan.

tjsunstein 05-30-2012 01:50 AM

Its avsimple waste of talent. He could have been good.

Sloopy 05-30-2012 08:36 AM

I wonder what he plans to do now? Did he even have a legitimate major?

Shane P. Hallam 05-30-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloopy (Post 3016680)
I wonder what he plans to do now? Did he even have a legitimate major?

Afro-American Studies.

Sloopy 05-30-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3016682)
Afro-American Studies.

Good.

He should make comparable money to an NFL salary with that right? If only he had minored in communications... or basket weaving.

killxswitch 05-30-2012 09:08 AM

What a waste of talent. UNC ruins a ton of really athletic football players.

FUNBUNCHER 05-30-2012 10:07 AM

Just too funny.
At least the Texans aren't on the hook for a huge signing bonus.
He'll be trying out for another team next year and get cut.
I don't know how anyone can play for a BCS conference school and at least not know how to go through the motions and fake it better in the NFL than Dwight Jones did.

No loss.

K Train 05-30-2012 10:27 AM

must have been the concussion awareness

asdf1223 05-30-2012 02:08 PM

Asher Allen just retired as well. Wow.

SolidGold 05-30-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3016690)
What a waste of talent. UNC ruins a ton of really athletic football players.

I think the players had a choice and they ruined themselves to be honest.

killxswitch 05-30-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3016992)
I think the players had a choice and they ruined themselves to be honest.

I don't doubt that the players themselves had some "quit" in them to start with. But the sheer number of these guys all coming from UNC tells me there's a toxic system in place that does them no favors. There are losers that can be positively influenced and turn their lives around. That doesn't seem possible at NC though.

farfromforgotten 12-19-2013 08:27 PM

I'm just digging this up because I don't know how many people know the story... I didn't. Thought it should be shared.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-after-tragedy