Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Bay Packers Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Roster Battles: RB (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53468)

J-Mike88 07-27-2012 09:16 AM

Roster Battles: RB

Who is our starting RB by the end of October?
(or who rushes for the most yards for us from November-Super Bowl)

James Starks

Alex Green

Brandon Saine

Ryan Grant

John Kuhn

BloodBrother 07-27-2012 01:42 PM

Big fan of Green and I think he's the future of this team at that position. I'm going with him, especially with his pass catching ability, which is said to be the best on the team. It will mean more screen passes to beat the pass rush

He's coming back from a torn ACL, but nowadays guys are coming back more quickly and just as good from this injury. It's good that he's already practicing and the coaches have spoken highly of him in the early going. I'm excited

TimmG6376 07-27-2012 04:20 PM

Starks seems to have one or two moments a game where he loses focus in pass protection and that IMO is what will lead to Green jumping him on the depth chart. Though I think it will remain a RBBC situation, so we'll see plenty of Starks as well.

SuperPacker 07-27-2012 06:04 PM

I hope it's Green! He's a more explosive runner and a better pass catcher which is our offense needs more than a James Starks type running back, who is less likely to pull off a big run.

cvv84 07-28-2012 06:37 PM

Starks should get the majority of the carries. He has the edge in terms of experience and has improved as a pass protector which is why Green will be more of a change of pace and reserve guys this year. Both guys will get action though.

Sportsfan486 08-06-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3070111)
I hope it's Green! He's a more explosive runner and a better pass catcher which is our offense needs more than a James Starks type running back, who is less likely to pull off a big run.

Am I the only one that sees Brandon Jackson when Alex Green runs? I like him, I want him to be our guy.. but I see some really hesitant running when I see clips of him. Maybe that's just the knee injury talking.

I'm not a fan of Starks. He's injury prone and his ceiling really isn't very impressive, in my opinion.

Saine is probably less impressive than either of those guys.. so in the end, I think Starks will be starting barring an injury and Green will be the third down guy.

PackerLegend 08-07-2012 03:47 PM

I have a question... Why did you use such a brutal picture for Starks?

I will go with the darkhorse. Brandon Saine.

ImBrotherCain 08-07-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerLegend (Post 3082486)
I have a question... Why did you use such a brutal picture for Starks?

I will go with the darkhorse. Brandon Saine.

Something is just screaming Saine to me as well.

princefielder28 08-07-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 (Post 3081544)
Am I the only one that sees Brandon Jackson when Alex Green runs? I like him, I want him to be our guy.. but I see some really hesitant running when I see clips of him. Maybe that's just the knee injury talking.

I would avoid making evaluations of Green's running so early on in the season. I can guarantee there is still some hesitance until he goes out there Thursday and can prove to himself that the knee will hold up against live-action contact. Green is the higher ceiling option for this team and they'll bring him along gradually and that should bode well for him later in the season as he'll likely have fresher legs. Starks will be the go-to guy early in the year as a good fit for the offense and hopefully Green will be a greater option for the team in the second half of the season.

tjsunstein 08-09-2012 09:24 AM

Somethin pushed me to believe Saine.

johbur 08-21-2012 01:04 AM

Where's Cedric Benson in this discussion? I guess we'll see Thursday. I think he has a great shot at starting and getting a lot of plays. Maybe not carries, but catches and in for blitz pick-up.

princefielder28 08-21-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johbur (Post 3094603)
Where's Cedric Benson in this discussion? I guess we'll see Thursday. I think he has a great shot at starting and getting a lot of plays. Maybe not carries, but catches and in for blitz pick-up.

Well, when this thread was started he wasn't an option and even as a free agent I don't think anyone thought that Thompson would actually bring him in. He's clearly the favorite at this point.

Sportsfan486 08-21-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johbur (Post 3094603)

Benson is certainly the favorite.

Starks has been looking worse and worse. Benson is really just better at everything Starks does well and has most of his flaws (except Benson is better at always moving forward and being North/south whereas Starks likes to get east/west sometimes.)

Green is the (hopeful) future but likely relegated to 3rd down back for this year.

J-Mike88 08-22-2012 10:01 AM

Benson's not "the favorite".

It is Benson's job right now period.

Starks has a build like a piece of stone, but his skills aren't there. He's blind to holes (I realize there are very few holes behind this OL), he's way too stiff, too upright, struggles with blitz pickup, and he has terrible hands.

At this point in time, or best hope is Benson runs well, and Alex Green can turn into a more dangerous version of Brandon Jackson on 3rd downs. Our Super Bowl run benefitted from Action Jackson on 3rd downs. That screen TD at Philly in the Wildcard win was a thing of beauty. We don't get that from Stiff Starks.