Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Steelers/Cardinals RUMOR (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5360)

Vince Lombardi 03-31-2007 09:09 AM

Steelers/Cardinals RUMOR

Eh, it's from PFT so take it for what it's worth.....

Quote:

There's talk in league circles of a possible trade between the Cardinals and the Steelers for tackle Max Starks. The rumor is that, if the deal would go down, the Steelers and the Cardinals would flip-flip first round picks.
The Cardinals hold the No. 5 overall pick, and the Steelers draft at No. 15.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Things are slowing down so atleast it's something new to argue about. ;)

Xiomera 03-31-2007 09:14 AM

Seems like a big gap in pick value for an average offensive lineman . . .

Who would Pittsburgh be moving up to get? Gaines Adams?

cardsalltheway 03-31-2007 09:19 AM

I can't say I'd be too happy with this trade. I don't think Starks would be the franchise LT the team is looking for.

princefielder28 03-31-2007 09:20 AM

It really makes no snse for the Cards. They need O-Line help but jumping down 10 spots to acquire an average lineman doesn't seem to make too much sense

Vince Lombardi 03-31-2007 09:23 AM

I would imagine Arizona sits where they are and waits to see if Joe Thomas falls to them. If he doesn't then they could weigh trade offers or take the best defensive player available.

I'mAHustler 03-31-2007 09:23 AM

Max Starks is average? I've never seen much of him, but how good of a lineman is he?

NIN1984 03-31-2007 09:24 AM

Max Starks isn't very good this would be a bad deal for the Cards.

Splat 03-31-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi (Post 263319)
I would imagine Arizona sits where they are and waits to see if Joe Thomas falls to them.

Yep I would stay at 5 at least till you know Joe is off the board if the Raiders take CJ and Det and the Browns take a QB TB goes D then Joe would be sitting right there and a steal at 5.

princefielder28 03-31-2007 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'mAHustler (Post 263321)
Max Starks is average? I've never seen much of him, but how good of a lineman is he?

He's not the type of linemen that would drastically improve the Cards line

cardsalltheway 03-31-2007 09:37 AM

If both Gaines Adams and Joe Thomas were gone at the fifth pick, then I think this would be a ok trade. They get a guy whose a solid tackle and they're still in position to get someone like Leon Hall, Adam Carriker or Jarvis Moss.

etk 03-31-2007 09:42 AM

Starks is an improving lineman, he works hard in the offseason, but he is not worth that kind of move.

Jonathan_VIlma 03-31-2007 09:47 AM

Guys, Max Starks is a right tackle. He's an average one at best, but he sure can run block. He's way too slow out of his stance to keep up with speed rushers which is why he breaks down in pass protection.

Marvel Smith is the Steelers left tackle.

AkiliSmith 03-31-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiomera (Post 263309)
Seems like a big gap in pick value for an average offensive lineman . . .

Who would Pittsburgh be moving up to get? Gaines Adams?

I think them trading up for Adams or Thomas makes the most sense, but why would the Cardinals give up so much in exchange for a mediocre right tackle?

Hines 03-31-2007 10:14 AM

but u also gotta relize is that starks is HUGE
hes is 6-8 like 350
hes huge
but he also has trouble against speed rushers
for example derrick burgess who scorched him for 2 or 3 sacks
i mean as a steeler fan i wont argue with us movin up to get gaines or whoever but starks isnt all that good

PoopSandwich 03-31-2007 10:16 AM

"There's talk in league circles of a possible"

Isn't that how everything from PFT starts?

AkiliSmith 03-31-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HinesWardJr (Post 263375)
but u also gotta relize is that starks is HUGE
hes is 6-8 like 350
hes huge
but he also has trouble against speed rushers
for example derrick burgess who scorched him for 2 or 3 sacks
i mean as a steeler fan i wont argue with us movin up to get gaines or whoever but starks isnt all that good

So basically Max Starks = Leonard Davis

Hines 03-31-2007 10:19 AM

pretty much but i think leonard is better

tom 03-31-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinslowBodden (Post 263376)
"There's talk in league circles of a possible"

Isn't that how everything from PFT starts?

That's just idiotic. Of course it's only a rumour... that's why it's called a rumour mill.

Not to mention, they are usually on the money regarding their rumours. This may not go down, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that conversations regarding this trade have taken place.

A week ago they said there was talk about a Lance briggs/redskins trade, and what do you know, the bears will get back to the skins on monday.

People should pipe-down regarding a great football site.

bearsfan_51 03-31-2007 11:08 AM

The talk about the Briggs trade was broken by Adam Schefter, who personally spoke to both Rosenhaus and Daniel Snyder. While I actually like PFT, and can appreciate it for what it is (not to mention they know more about football than most "real" media) that's not the best example.

OzTitan 03-31-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom (Post 263433)
That's just idiotic. Of course it's only a rumour... that's why it's called a rumour mill.

Not to mention, they are usually on the money regarding their rumours. This may not go down, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that conversations regarding this trade have taken place.

A week ago they said there was talk about a Lance briggs/redskins trade, and what do you know, the bears will get back to the skins on monday.

The problem with PFT is it's half blog, half rumor site. When you're putting yourself out there like Florio does, you're going to put off some readers. It's the reason I don't go there - I don't feel like reading "rumors" from a guy who has clear biases and often says moronic things. It's different here in a forum where you can reply. It's like Merril Hoge - he may know his stuff but I can't stand watching people who I think are moronic.

You don't see the ESPN etc rumor reporters meddle with opinion. PFT would be a much better site if it was done in a more professional manner - post the rumors, and leave it at that. That's just my opinion anyway - there's no way his twist on things attracts more people than it sends away, and for a guy who approaches websites with commercial gain, you'd think he'd understand this.

bearsfan_51 03-31-2007 11:34 AM

What is his bias? Other than to attract hits I don't see it.

toonsterwu 03-31-2007 11:48 AM

Eh ... I wouldn't be surprised if talks happened ... but the only reason Max Starks would be worth a late first is due to his tender ... that said ... Grimm's usually got a solid eye for the OL, and maybe there's something about Max Starks that we don't know ... or maybe, they simply feel that Starks will be better than Brown/Staley ... but overall talent, no, I wouldn't think Starks would be a first outside above of the above variables.

It does, though, to an extent, make sense for the Cardinals, if they like Starks that much. At 15, they could go a number of directions, ranging from LB, to an edge type talent, and heck, if they wanted, they would have the freedom to go a young RB if they so desired, as they'd still have their day 1 picks to address all their needs.

Star Wideout 03-31-2007 11:58 AM

Didn't Starks get abused in that one game where the Steelers gave up 9 sacks against the Ravens?

the gave up 5 more sacks in the 2nd Ravens game as well... so someone had to have been getting worked.

doingthisinsteadofwork 03-31-2007 12:18 PM

Starks?your kidding me right.hes horrible in pass blocking.

PoopSandwich 03-31-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom (Post 263433)

Great football site my ass...

KFFL is a great football site.