Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Vontae Davis traded to the Colts (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53645)

Razor 08-26-2012 01:17 PM

Vontae Davis traded to the Colts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nd-round-pick/

Not a bad deal for either team.

Bulldogs 08-26-2012 01:20 PM

As usual Razor is far behind me.

Bixby (Thumper) 08-26-2012 01:24 PM

LOLphins

The roster was already short on skill position talent and then they go and trade Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis in the same offseason? That's stupid. Without a doubt the Dolphins are the worst team in the league right now.

SuperPacker 08-26-2012 01:25 PM

I don't really like this trade for either team :/

A Perfect Score 08-26-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bixby (Post 3098924)
LOLphins

The roster was already short on skill position talent and then they go and trade Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis in the same offseason? That's stupid. Without a doubt the Dolphins are the worst team in the league right now.

I really can't see any team with less talent on their roster right now then the Phins. There's just not a whole lot to work with on that team.

As for the trade, I love it for the Colts. If Pagano can find a way to screw Vontae's head on right, he'll be a star.

MaxV 08-26-2012 01:33 PM

High pick to give up, but they needed a good CB BADLY. Powers was the only starting-caliber CB on their roster and he doesn't play a full season.

Brent 08-26-2012 01:36 PM

I like this trade for both teams, as far as value, but goddamn the Dolphins are awful.

UKfan 08-26-2012 01:38 PM

Can't be worse than the JAGs we had playing yesterday

AntoinCD 08-26-2012 01:41 PM

I may be in the minority here, but I actually think it's a pretty bad deal for both teams.

I liked how the Colts had started to build their team. Another good draft next year and a few select FAs and they could be back to contending by 2014. Giving away a 2nd round pick, which will likely be high to middle of the second round doesn't make a ton of sense to me for a CB who turned up out of shape. Now Davis has a lot of potential and maybe Pagano can get him to shine, but I don't like how they gave up a future asset when realistically they aren't going to contend this year.

As for the Dolphins, when do they want to be successful? 2020? Marshall and Davis were two of their best players and both are gone within a few months. Tannehill will struggle with no WRs, Bush has never been able to be a true workhorse back and the rest of the running game looks suspect. Defense was likely going to be the only way they could keep games close. Shipping off a CB who can play on an island for a 2nd round pick doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Grizzlegom 08-26-2012 01:46 PM

I loved Vontae but I'm not surprised they dumped him. I'm good with the compensation and wish him luck. If anyone can ever get him to play to his potential, that second round pick they gave up will look like a steal. Then again, that's what we were saying when he was picked 25th overall.

Vontae was just too inconsistent. One game, he'd look like a shutdown corner, then the next game he'd give up 10 catches to some scrub WR. He played to the level of his competition a lot and relies too much on his natural talent and never seemed to really push to improve. As far as Miami trading him, Sean Smith has outshined him in camp and Richard Marshall has looked like a solid number 2. Nolan Carroll has been impressive in the nickel so even without Vontae they are alright barring injury. Miami is FINALLY in a true rebuilding mode, something that can't be said about any year since Marino retired.

Razor 08-26-2012 01:50 PM

Sean Smith is a better CB than Davis at this point, so this is actually addition by subtraction imo. You want to build the locker room as well, and Davis just doesn't seem like the leader that he should be given his experience and ability. Both Davis and Smith is entering the last year of their contract and they seem like the like Smith more. Might as well get what you can if you're not going to keep the player around. Furthermore, Davis has been highly inconsistent in Miami. I think Miami got a good deal here, and the Colts got a very talented player at a position of need.

Grizzlegom 08-26-2012 01:52 PM

Glazer just tweeted that the Phins will receive a conditional 6th as well.

tjsunstein 08-26-2012 02:11 PM

I like the deal for both sides although the pick may be a little high, a 3rd would have been too low. The Colts are darkhorses to contend this year. I'm not calling them playoff favorites but I don't expect them to be an automatic win. Makes sense for both teams. The Dolphins badly need an identity and if they want to be serious about getting one, they have to make these kind of moves while their expectations remain low. Build from the ground up.

Ness 08-26-2012 02:15 PM

I think a second round pick is a little too much. A third round would have been the perfect deal for both sides. The good thing for the Colts though is that you know you are getting a player that is already decent with the potential to be a lot better. And the Colts need to improve that defense. That's a shame I was looking forward to Vernon Davis playing against his little brother this season.

MidwayMonster31 08-26-2012 02:21 PM

The talent is there for Davis, but so is his floor. The Colts are trying to build for the future, but a second round pick seems high. I could also see both teams losing because of this, if the Dolphins can't do anything with that pick.

UKfan 08-26-2012 02:39 PM

I hate to go all Redskins, but I still hope we try and trade for an O-lineman.

LonghornsLegend 08-26-2012 02:46 PM

I like this for the Colts, a 2nd round pick was good value to me to get immediate help, and an immediate starter and upgrade at the position. He may not go on to be a pro bowler but he's a very good athletic CB with a ton of potential and a great fit in Pagano's defense. There isn't always a guarantee you get a starter with your 2nd rounder, but here they do and he's only 24 years old.

They needed at least 1 guy like this right away, it's not that big of a risk for me Davis is crazy talented he's just inconsistent.

bigbluedefense 08-26-2012 02:49 PM

I didn't realize how dumb Davis is until I saw hard knocks. Holy crap, the guy is borderline ********.

But he can be a solid #2 CB. I like this for the Phins more than the Colts actually. Both teams are rebuilding, why not just build through the draft? And I like that Philbin is trying to clean up the locker room. He has a lot of Coughlin in him.

Ness 08-26-2012 02:51 PM

How is Vontae Davis borderline mentally ********?

From what I remember on Hard Knocks, he got into a fight with Steve Smith who wouldn't let go of him once the whistle blew in their last preseason game.

I also recall Vontae having an isssue with his conditioning where he got tired in one of the practices.

Not sure how that makes him ********.

TheBoyWonder22 08-26-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3099005)
How is Vontae Davis borderline mentally ********?

From what I remember on Hard Knocks, he got into a fight with Steve Smith who wouldn't let go of him once the whistle blew in their last preseason game.

I also recall Vontae having an isssue with his conditioning where he got tired in one of the practices.

Not sure how that makes him ********.

Probably referencing when he goes up to Sean Smith and starts about he's acting. That wasn't that bad though.

SchizophrenicBatman 08-26-2012 03:07 PM

The Dolphins will be devoid of talent when Philbin is fired. I'm sure he'll use this pick on a crappy white guy from the Big 10 who "fits our organization"

A Perfect Score 08-26-2012 03:09 PM

How awesome would it be if Philbin went all Josh McDaniels on the Phins?

BeerBaron 08-26-2012 03:12 PM

Would have been more fun if it really was Mike Wallace...alas.

Dallas357 08-26-2012 04:53 PM

Good move by the dolphins

dolphinfan2k5 08-26-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Miami Herald
Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland, who pulled the trigger on the deal, told The Miami Herald that the team doesn’t necessarily have to wait until April’s draft to make use of the freshly acquired picks.

"We’re looking and this gives us a little bit of ammunition," Ireland said, when asked of potentially trading for a receiver. "If we can do something, we’ll do it now."

^^^ Possibly looking for a receiver. Maybe Harvin or Bowe. Don't even want to say Wallace.