Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Travis Frederick: Best OG Prospect since Hutch (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53655)

Duffman57 08-27-2012 12:35 PM

Travis Frederick: Best OG Prospect since Hutch

I know we went through all this last year with DeCastro, but i never bought into it, he just wasn't enough of a mauler for me, didn't get the movement to be a truely elite LG for my liking. We went through it with Iupati, but he was extremely raw. Same with Duke Robinson just didn't have the mobility to play with the top guys. I never bought into the hype of these guys. But Fredrick is a guy that, from what i've seen, is absolutely 100% DESERVING of that Hutch mention.

But i was watching some guys on the Wisky OL, and i kept noticing him, and i'll tell you what...he's an elite OG, and like the title says, i'm convinced that he's the best since, maybe even as good as Hutch as a prospect.

He does it all. First of all, at 6'4" 340, he is the Mauler that he should be, and is. Gets massive movement in the run game. Natural knee bender, great punch, and almost every snap, wins the leverage battle, and just drives guys of the line.

Then you can really notice him in space. While he's 340, and slower than most OL...he looks GREAT in space pulling. When pulling on those shorter inside runs, he's dominant, hits a guy and just rams a hole wide open. A big thing is that he's incredibly quick out of his stance, so he can get out without any disturbances. But he can struggle when asked to pull on tosses or sweeps. This is his only problem that i see, is that when pulling on long pulls, not just traps/counters, he can lag behind the RB, and become useless, but he's usually good at, even if he's a little slow or behind the RB, he finds someone to hit and make a hole.

In the 3rd and final phase of most OG's jobs, he may have the most perfect technique i've seen in a OG. Quick feet, head up, as i said before, natural knee bender and really good punch, doesn't lunge at his man/trusts his punch/anchor, stays home and if nobody comes at him, goes and finds somebody to hit.

AND THEN...

I go to watch the Michigan State game, and notice the C. Oh wait, now announcing the 2012 Wisconsin Starting Center....TRAVIS FREDERICK...

There's VERY few 340lb guys are quick enough out of their stance to go head up on a guy, snap the ball, and then get into good enough position to win the leverage battle vs Shorter, stockier NT's.

He's starting at C all this year for Wisconsin as well, which only bumps his value up.

jared3 08-27-2012 01:16 PM

I am looking forward to Watching some Wisconsin games this year. Looking forward to see more of Ricky Wagner and Travis Frederick.

Duffman57 08-27-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jared3 (Post 3100264)
I am looking forward to Watching some Wisconsin games this year. Looking forward to see more of Ricky Wagner and Travis Frederick.

I think Wagner is highly overrated. Just watching him, showed that he's terrible in pass pro, though he is solid in the run game. Shouldn't be taken before the 3rd as a RT of right now. His quickness and lateral agility is really not good.

ellsy82 08-28-2012 04:04 AM

That kid is a complete beast. I'd love him as a right guard on any line.

ph90702 09-01-2012 02:43 PM

DeCastro didn't play LG. He played RG.

bulldog0123 09-01-2012 04:21 PM

I really like Alvin Bailey from Arkansas.

rawdawg 09-02-2012 07:46 PM

Last year, when I was watching Peter Konz and Kevin Zeitler, Frederick constantly stood out to me on the interior. I didn't think he had the best game that I've seen him play yesterday, but he definitely looks the part....and as you said, is a mauler.

That being said, I wouldn't go as far to say he's the best OG prospect since Hutch. I liked DeCastro better, and like a couple guys in this class a little better.

SenorGato 09-03-2012 12:00 PM

Good to know. I need to watch some Wisconsin for OL purposes.

K Train 04-17-2013 12:02 PM

Hes a far cry from when this thread was posted, but he is definitely an intriguing guard prospect, imo he might not have the explosion to play center in the NFL though

princefielder28 04-17-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 3333015)
Hes a far cry from when this thread was posted, but he is definitely an intriguing guard prospect, imo he might not have the explosion to play center in the NFL though

He's a solid prospect, but I don't think he's better, than say, Kevin Zeitler from last year.

K Train 04-17-2013 12:08 PM

Hes not as athletic as Zeitler or Konz...but with a full head of steam hes a horrifying

Iamcanadian 04-17-2013 12:47 PM

A 2nd/3rd round prospect and not close to the elite talent level that Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper are. I don't think he can play OC in the NFL, far more likely to make it as an OG. Should eventually be a starter.

energizerbunny 04-17-2013 05:38 PM

I think the steam on him has kind of died down the last couple months, simply because he didn't test off the charts.

What he is in my opinion is a Center that can block a 1 on 1.

If you are in a division where your seeing a lot of war-daddy Nose tackles, he is worth a first round selection in my mind. None of the top guards or centers have the ability to anchor a nose tackle like Frederick.

Black Bolt 04-18-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energizerbunny (Post 3333429)
I think the steam on him has kind of died down the last couple months, simply because he didn't test off the charts.

What he is in my opinion is a Center that can block a 1 on 1.

If you are in a division where your seeing a lot of war-daddy Nose tackles, he is worth a first round selection in my mind. None of the top guards or centers have the ability to anchor a nose tackle like Frederick.

Yeah, but that doesn't put him in the first round. I don't see an Mack, Pouncey or Mangold level player.

killxswitch 04-18-2013 09:33 AM

He did not measure out as the behemoth I was expecting at the Combine.

K Train 04-18-2013 09:37 AM

If anything he was way slow and unathletic for coming in 30 pounds lighter than expected

killxswitch 04-18-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 3334021)
If anything he was way slow and unathletic for coming in 30 pounds lighter than expected

I thought the same. If you're going to be this big slow lumbering player, at least be strong. Not impressive. Though of course there's a chance he lost too much weight too fast and was just weak in general. I think some guys really overdo it with weight loss pre-Combine and it backfires.