Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   A Mike & Mike for the ages (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53659)

Bert Macklin 08-28-2012 09:46 AM

A Mike & Mike for the ages

Mike Greenberg spent at least five minutes comparing Matt Ryan to Peyton Manning.

He went through their respective stats and playoff records through age 27. I can't go into detail in how lovingly he was talking about Ryan.

If you missed it try to hear the podcast. A sports journalism masterpiece not to be missed.

Wait, now he's making Michael Jordan comparisons?

Vince Young is a former nfl superstar?

Scotty D 08-28-2012 09:59 AM

Maybe not super star but Vince Young was big time after his rookie year. Especially coming off the Texas-USC game which was one of the better football games I can remember watching.

Splat 08-28-2012 09:59 AM

Was he kissing the mic as he talked? That always creeped me out your lips don't have to be on the mic.

A Perfect Score 08-28-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty D (Post 3100916)
Maybe not super star but Vince Young was big time after his rookie year. Especially coming off the Texas-USC game which was one of the better football games I can remember watching.

That's still probably my favorite football game I've ever watched. What a night.

WCH 08-28-2012 10:28 AM

I remember early in Vince Young's second NFL season, Florio argued that he was already the best QB in the NFL.

Good times.

SolidGold 08-28-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCH (Post 3100936)
I remember early in Vince Young's second NFL season, Florio argued that he was already the best QB in the NFL.

Good times.

LOL...gotta love all the mooks out there that somehow become expert football analysts yet are not held to any standard of accountability

ViperVisor 08-28-2012 10:49 AM

I got that in the mail just before this happened.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310115001

Since then I always reference him as Mathew Icicle.

BeerBaron 08-28-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty D (Post 3100916)

I think Greenie called that the greatest football game ever played (or one of them.)

But yeah, I was watching as he made the Ryan/Peyton comparison this morning before work. (It's all the more ESPN I watch other than live games.)

His points were completely legit and the supporting evidence was fantastic. Their similarities as guys who lack elite physical tools but are great cerebral QBs and genuinely intelligent human beings.

I'd offer a rebuttal on a few points, but it would be nowhere near as eloquent. Overall, he made a great case for the comparison and Falcon fans should hope he's right about this one.

Ness 08-28-2012 02:14 PM

I'll just say that as much heat as Ryan gets for not winning a playoff game yet, it took Manning up until his sixth season to finally get one. A lot of people forget that.

phlysac 08-28-2012 04:02 PM

I'm beginning to think that many of these "analysts"/personalities engage in dialogue that is essentially scripted.

On NFL Network, Darren Sharper was asked who will be Defensive MVP and he emphatically declared a guy that should be "inducted into the HOF after only one season", "JJ Wyatt!" When the female on set instantly corrected him, saying "JJ Watt" he yelled back "No, JJ Wyatt!"

If you feel so strongly about a player, you'd think you'd know their name. I'm convinced it was written for him to argue for Watt, and he just didn't know who he was.

Ness 08-28-2012 04:26 PM

I think it's always been scripted. Which is why on ESPN they ask analysts who they think will do this or that and at the exact moment they answer a clip is shown on television of the player that just popped into their mind. Obviously this is impossible.

I remember when the Steelers/49ers game had that blackout and Monday Night Football cut back to the studio with Berman, Carter, Johnson, and whoever else was there and they barely talked trying to pass the time until the game resumed. Obviously that was something done on the fly so you can't put too much blame on them. But yes those shows seem like they're scripted to a degree.

BeerBaron 08-28-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3101138)
I think it's always been scripted. Which is why on ESPN they ask analysts who they think will do this or that and at the exact moment they answer a clip is shown on television of the player that just popped into their mind. Obviously this is impossible.

I remember when the Steelers/49ers game had that blackout and Monday Night Football cut back to the studio with Berman, Carter, Johnson, and whoever else was there and they barely talked trying to pass the time until the game resumed. Obviously that was something done on the fly so you can't put too much blame on them. But yes those shows seem like they're scripted to a degree.

No. Even if it's not scripted (I believe that it is for the most part,) they would still discuss what they're going to cover before the show so the graphics people can have it ready. It's what every other show anywhere ever does.

So if analyst A is choosing player A as his MVP pick, he'll let the production people know that before hand in a pre-show meeting or something so they can have the clips ready.

Bert Macklin 08-28-2012 04:35 PM

How does Peyton not have elite physical tools? 6'5 230 rocket arm.

Ness 08-28-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3101145)
No. Even if it's not scripted (I believe that it is for the most part,) they would still discuss what they're going to cover before the show so the graphics people can have it ready. It's what every other show anywhere ever does.

So if analyst A is choosing player A as his MVP pick, he'll let the production people know that before hand in a pre-show meeting or something so they can have the clips ready.

Yes. What I meant was that it isn't a show that is done on the fly. They obviously tell the production crew what they're going to say before it's aired. That's what I meant by scripted. Not that they're literally reading from as script all the time, but that it's prepared. It's different than what they do on the radio where you can tell that they're obviously thinking and can do whatever they want with the time allotted for the program.

BeerBaron 08-28-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert Macklin (Post 3101146)
How does Peyton not have elite physical tools? 6'5 230 rocket arm.

I hope you're being sarcastic, otherwise, we have a problem.

Bert Macklin 08-28-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3101158)
I hope you're being sarcastic, otherwise, we have a problem.

I want someone in this thread to tell me what QB has "elite physical tools".

Ness 08-28-2012 04:59 PM

I don't see how Peyton Manning doesn't have elite physical tools for his position and what he's paid to do. This is part of the reason why he was billed as the top pick in the 1998 NFL Draft.

bigbluedefense 08-28-2012 05:21 PM

Peyton's arm is bigger than Ryan's. Always has been. Peyton has elite tools. He's tall, and has an NFL arm that can make every throw. That's elite tools.

The comparison has been a joke from day 1.

NotMyJob 08-28-2012 05:22 PM

But he doesn't run fast.

ShutDwn 08-28-2012 05:51 PM

Does anyone think, if Matt Ryan becomes a free agent in 10 years, he'll have teams chasing/courting him and he'll get a $96M contract?

If I have a good defense, Matt Ryan doesn't worry me.

jsagan77 08-28-2012 06:26 PM

Matt Ryan is going to crush the NFL this year IMHO...

Bert Macklin 08-28-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3101172)
I don't see how Peyton Manning doesn't have elite physical tools for his position and what he's paid to do. This is part of the reason why he was billed as the top pick in the 1998 NFL Draft.

Thank you sir

K Train 08-28-2012 07:04 PM

Come on now, Leaf had the better physical tools that year. Peyton had better everything else

Ryan and Peyton arent that far off, especially in arm strength...in raw strength both are upper middle of the pack QBs, not cannons but not noodles either. Im kinda excited to see ryan in this offense with roddy and julio. I see the comparison though, thats why they were being compared when ryan was being drafted. Peyton was very reminiscent of peyton, and i think in a few years we'll be talking about how similar Eli Manning and Andrew Lucks abilities are and they drew an awful lot of comparisons over the last year

Shane P. Hallam 08-28-2012 07:07 PM

I agree with Greeny in a lot of what he said. I think this is Ryan's year to really step up a la Matthew Stafford of last year and the Falcons are my pick to go to the Super Bowl. I feel like Ryan has only improved each season and continues to improve each season. Is he Peyton? No, he won't be that good or successful, but I don't think he is as far away as a lot of people believe.

Ness 08-28-2012 07:28 PM

It's always hard for me to pick a dome team to go to the Super Bowl unless they have homefield advantage through the post season. Those teams just seem to crumble on the road.