Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Landry Jones vs. E.J. Manuel (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53736)

Scott Wright 09-06-2012 07:02 PM

Landry Jones vs. E.J. Manuel

I am working on the initial rankings for the re-launch and was struggling with whether to put Landry Jones of Oklahoma or E.J. Manuel of Florida St. as the #3 senior quarterback.

I'll let my ultimate decision be a surprise on September 14th but I'd be interested to see what the board thinks. Are you Team Landry or Team E.J.?

D-Unit 09-06-2012 07:19 PM

Team Neither. If I really was forced to pick between the 2, I'd say Landry just to stay more conventional. But I really don't like either QB in the NFL.

BamaFalcon59 09-06-2012 08:22 PM

I'll take Manuel between the two. More potential, even if I don't think he does anything in the league.

CashmoneyDrew 09-06-2012 08:30 PM

I'm not touching either one.

But this is interesting. This means you have one of Tyler Wilson or Geno Smith rated below both of them which I would disagree with.

Scott Wright 09-06-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew (Post 3107947)
This means you have one of Tyler Wilson or Geno Smith rated below both...

This is correct... :o)

princefielder28 09-06-2012 08:37 PM

I would side with Manuel and then know that I'll be receiving my pink slip in the not so distant future.

farfromforgotten 09-06-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew (Post 3107947)
I'm not touching either one.

But this is interesting. This means you have one of Tyler Wilson or Geno Smith rated below both of them which I would disagree with.

I'm guessing he has Wilson rated below both of them. I'd go with Landry over Manuel, but I'd also go with Wilson and/or Smith over both of them.

D-Unit 09-06-2012 09:19 PM

Seriously... is Colt Brennan an option? :D

JHL6719 09-06-2012 09:23 PM

Neither one is the 3rd best Senior QB prospect. Although if I had to choose between those two duds it would be Landry Jones.

brat316 09-06-2012 09:25 PM

E.J. this is where the future of the NFL is going...again. The mobile QB, not scrambling, just mobile.

SolidGold 09-06-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 3108005)
E.J. this is where the future of the NFL is going...again. The mobile QB, not scrambling, just mobile.

Meh...the whole mobility thing gets played up way too much. Pocket presence and the ability to move within the pocket will always be the more desired traits in the NFL. It's the media types that want to hype up QB 40 times - it gives everyone something to talk about during the off-season. I don't think the league can really do much else to change the rules to favor the passing game.

I would pick Jones over Manuel since Jones actually has a complete body of work to judge from.

Hurricanes25 09-06-2012 10:51 PM

Not a fan of either but I would take Manuel between the 2. Both have very low floors but I feel that Manuel has a higher ceiling.

BeerBaron 09-06-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3107957)
I would side with Manuel and then know that I'll be receiving my pink slip in the not so distant future.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. This is a real no win situation if those are your only options.

Brent 09-06-2012 11:23 PM

He has a mustache.

/debate

FUNBUNCHER 09-06-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3108020)
Meh...the whole mobility thing gets played up way too much. Pocket presence and the ability to move within the pocket will always be the more desired traits in the NFL. It's the media types that want to hype up QB 40 times - it gives everyone something to talk about during the off-season. I don't think the league can really do much else to change the rules to favor the passing game.

I would pick Jones over Manuel since Jones actually has a complete body of work to judge from.

A mobile QB may not have the pocket presence of Tom Brady but he has the bonus of being able to escape a pass rush with a scramble to the sideline and still complete a pass on the run. Landry isn't mobile and his pocket presence is nil.

That said I still think he'll be a more effective pro that Manuel. Just haven't seen EJ look dominant enough at the college level to believe he'll be a difference maker as a pro.

Tyler Wilson/Geno Smith x10.

SolidGold 09-07-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3108092)
A mobile QB may not have the pocket presence of Tom Brady but he has the bonus of being able to escape a pass rush with a scramble to the sideline and still complete a pass on the run. Landry isn't mobile and his pocket presence is nil.

That said I still think he'll be a more effective pro that Manuel. Just haven't seen EJ look dominant enough at the college level to believe he'll be a difference maker as a pro.

Tyler Wilson/Geno Smith x10.

Being "mobile" also leads you to being exposed to more hits. NFL offenses are more or less geared to delivering the ball to your play makers in space. There are so many more important traits than mobility when it comes to being a QB: intelligence, arm accuracy, arm strength, pocket awareness, ability to move within the pocket while keeping your eyes down field and then I would put mobility in their. All QBs have at the very least functional mobility anyway. It is a nice trait to have but not one completely necessary and like I said people get boner's about QB 40 times which are more useful in video games than real games.

I would take Andrew Luck as the prime example - the thing that really sticks out with him is how he moves around in the pocket - stands tall and delivers the ball downfield - not his 4.6 40 time which is nice for sure but not vital.

ATLDirtyBirds 09-07-2012 07:33 AM

Not a big fan of either, but I'd definitely take EJ in this one. If EJ becomes more consistent, he's going to rise big time.

jrdrylie 09-07-2012 08:06 AM

These guys are both interesting. They both have the tools to be very good QBs but for one reason or another, they just haven't quite put it all together. With Manuel, he needs to be more consistent. With Jones, he just seems to lack that "it" factor.

But to answer the question, I'd go with Jones. I like him more than most. I think he is more accurate than Manuel and can read defenses a bit better. I would definitely take Jones with a top-15 pick but I think Manuel is better served to be picked later in the first by a team that can sit him for a few years.

SolidGold 09-07-2012 11:03 AM

How high is Sean Renfree going to be on your board?

RaiderNation 09-07-2012 03:50 PM

Not a big fan on Landry anymore, but I'd still rank him above Manuel for now.

fenikz 09-07-2012 05:15 PM

1. Barkley
2. Wilson
3. Smith
4. Jones
5. Manuel

Raiderz4Life 09-07-2012 11:34 PM

I dislike em both as well but I guess I would take Jones. I just think if either one of them will do anything it'll be him.

Flyboy 09-08-2012 09:22 AM

If I HAD to choose, I'd take Manuel but that's not really saying much.

rawdawg 09-08-2012 10:02 AM

At least Jones had that 1 good year. Agree with fenikz list. I'd like to see the argument for either Jones or Manuel over Tyler Wilson or Geno Smith.

SchizophrenicBatman 09-08-2012 10:35 PM

No thanks to both