Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What Is Up With Matt Barkley? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53922)

kwilk103 09-24-2012 02:40 PM

What Is Up With Matt Barkley?
 
not playing up to the hype

his numbers are way down from last year
2011 vs 2012

69% to 61%
7.91 ypa to 7.03 ypa
7 int to 5 int
8 sacks to 6 sacks
161.2 rating to 141.3

was holmes (whose been injured) and kalil that big of a loss? actually his numbers so far compare very favorably to his sophomore year:

62%
7.40 ypa
12 int
16 sacks
141.2 rating

is it possible his junior year was an aberration and this is the "real" barkley?

Babylon 09-24-2012 03:10 PM

In a nutshell Holmes and Kalil are that big of a loss. Their backup center probably cost them the Stanford game.

PossibleCabbage 09-24-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3128009)
In a nutshell Holmes and Kalil are that big of a loss. Their backup center probably cost them the Stanford game.

More to the point, Barkley very much seems like a player who needs to be surrounded by talent in order to succeed, rather than a guy who will singlehandedly carry a program from time to time. Most of what he does is the simple, high percentage stuff that looks so good because of the people around him.

descendency 09-24-2012 04:23 PM

Let's also not forget Tyron Smith. I don't really know USC's OL situation, but losing 3 elite OL (one due to injury) in 2 years is pretty insane.

SickwithIt1010 09-24-2012 04:31 PM

Holmes has been a huge loss for him. They have not been able to go to their vertical and deep passing game because they just cant keep the pressure off of him, which is leading him to throwing a ton of hitches, quick hitting screens...and when they arent getting any YAC it makes his numbers look bad. The stanford game he was pressured everytime he dropped back, it was bad.

Once Holmes gets back up to full strength you will see improvement from him. Being able to drop back confidently you arent going to be on your back on the 2nd step of your drop is always very nice.

murdamal86 09-27-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwilk103 (Post 3127985)
not playing up to the hype

his numbers are way down from last year
2011 vs 2012

69% to 61%
7.91 ypa to 7.03 ypa
7 int to 5 int
8 sacks to 6 sacks
161.2 rating to 141.3

was holmes (whose been injured) and kalil that big of a loss? actually his numbers so far compare very favorably to his sophomore year:

62%
7.40 ypa
12 int
16 sacks
141.2 rating

is it possible his junior year was an aberration and this is the "real" barkley?

Probably so. He was a turnover machine his senior year in HS too :shrugs:

killxswitch 09-27-2012 11:53 AM

He is Curtis Paintering himself. Should've declared last year.

MI_Buckeye 09-27-2012 02:52 PM

I think the real question now is just how far will he slide? I know it's still very early, and late season performances tend to outweigh early season performances, but I just never bought into to Barkley as a premier prospect.

If you really break down Barkley's career at USC, he's had one tremendous half-season with a great supporting cast and has otherwise been solid but unspectacular. Good character, good work ethic, but he has average physical tools and nowhere near the accuracy, anticipation and acumen to push him over the top.

At this point, I would say he is solidly behind Geno Smith and E.J. Manuel with the potential to lose ground to guys like Landry Jones and Tyler Bray. I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at a second rounder here.

kwilk103 09-27-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Buckeye (Post 3131424)
I think the real question now is just how far will he slide? I know it's still very early, and late season performances tend to outweigh early season performances, but I just never bought into to Barkley as a premier prospect.

If you really break down Barkley's career at USC, he's had one tremendous half-season with a great supporting cast and has otherwise been solid but unspectacular. Good character, good work ethic, but he has average physical tools and nowhere near the accuracy, anticipation and acumen to push him over the top.

At this point, I would say he is solidly behind Geno Smith and E.J. Manuel with the potential to lose ground to guys like Landry Jones and Tyler Bray. I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at a second rounder here.

coming out of hs, i expected a lot more from him; the hype around him was unbelievable; then hes named starting qb and beats osu at osu in his 2nd game

disappointing career for sure

gpngc 09-27-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3131267)
He is Curtis Paintering himself. Should've declared last year.



You called?

SickwithIt1010 09-27-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Buckeye (Post 3131424)

At this point, I would say he is solidly behind Geno Smith and E.J. Manuel with the potential to lose ground to guys like Landry Jones and Tyler Bray. I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at a second rounder here.

Lol, What?

D-Unit 09-27-2012 08:54 PM

ABBERRRAAATTTIIOOOOONNNN!!!! :freakout: :freakout: :freakout:

Saints-Tigers 09-27-2012 10:13 PM

USC QB's are pampered princesses, that's the real issue. Way too much good things going for them at USC to ever learn to handle adversity. Money, bitches, weapons all over, awesome offensive lines, TV love...

Damn I'm jelly :(

DcmRulz 09-27-2012 11:38 PM

Barkley is like Eli Manning or Jay Cutler in that when he's bad, he's AWFUL. But he's got about as much upside as any non-superstar QB in this league.

Raiderz4Life 09-28-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Buckeye (Post 3131424)
At this point, I would say he is solidly behind Geno Smith and E.J. Manuel with the potential to lose ground to guys like Landry Jones and Tyler Bray. I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at a second rounder here.


Caulibflower 09-28-2012 01:34 AM


FUNBUNCHER 09-28-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DcmRulz (Post 3131991)
Barkley is like Eli Manning or Jay Cutler in that when he's bad, he's AWFUL. But he's got about as much upside as any non-superstar QB in this league.


That's just it, I don't think Barkley is considered to be a QB with much upside.
He may look as good in the pros as his best games at USC, but I doubt he's a guy scouts think will be an even more dynamic player in the NFL.

Barkley has had the benefit of playing with multiple future NFL players on offense, so IMO what you see with Barkley is what you get.

I totally agree there's not much chance he's the first overall pick, and he has a less than 50/50 shot to be the first QB draft particularly since this class at the top is weak for teams looking to draft franchise QB type prospects.

D-Unit 09-28-2012 01:19 PM

I enjoy watching people jump off the bandwagon. I don't think he'll be the #1 overall pick, and I like Tyler Wilson more, but Barkley offers a lot to like. I can see a team like the Raiders or Cowboys being a perfect spot for him.

wicket 09-28-2012 02:49 PM

why are people calling Manuel a prospect, he is borderline draftable iyam

bored of education 09-28-2012 03:00 PM

he just seems off and he is not as comfortable in the pocket, the losses to the oline dont help as someone already mentioned

MassNole 09-28-2012 03:01 PM

Why are people surprised that he is regressing with who he has for a head coach?

MI_Buckeye 09-28-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 3132326)
why are people calling Manuel a prospect, he is borderline draftable iyam

Manuel's going to end up having a Heisman campaign IMO, and he has all the protoype measurables of a top QB prospect.

SickwithIt1010 09-28-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3132342)
Why are people surprised that he is regressing with who he has for a head coach?

What? Where are you going with this? Kiffen has been known as one of the best playcallers in CFB for a while now. If anything people would have expected his numbers to sky rocket. Dumb statement.

MassNole 09-28-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3132373)
What? Where are you going with this? Kiffen has been known as one of the best playcallers in CFB for a while now. If anything people would have expected his numbers to sky rocket. Dumb statement.

Only USC fans would believe this. With the talent he had he was below average as an OC at USC, then completely ruined Jamarcus Russell in the NFL, now we see Matt Barkley regress as a Senior.

descendency 09-28-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3132379)
Only USC fans would believe this. With the talent he had he was below average as an OC at USC, then completely ruined Jamarcus Russell in the NFL, now we see Matt Barkley regress as a Senior.

I'm sorry, but you lost all credibility when you said the bold part.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.