Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What's Going On With Mingo? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54058)

McGahee 10-07-2012 07:53 AM

What's Going On With Mingo?

Where is the production this year? I expected him to explode as a full time starter but he's only got about 1.5 sacks. Love him as an athlete but what gives LSU fans?

Razor 10-07-2012 08:01 AM

Not an LSU fan, but I've been calling him overrated all along. Great physical talent doesn't always translate to the field, and in this case it was pretty obvious that he lacked the strength and technique to be considered a top prospect. So look for Seattle to draft him in the top 20... *sigh*

AntoinCD 10-07-2012 08:14 AM

I gotta disagree with both of you guys here. Despite not getting many sacks he is getting tons of pressure and penetration. His burst off the ball is one of the best I have seen. He is a lock for a top ten pick and probably my #1 pass rusher

Ozzy 10-07-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Razor Not an LSU fan, but I've been calling him overrated all along. Great physical talent doesn't always translate to the field, and in this case it was pretty obvious that he lacked the strength and technique to be considered a top prospect. So look for Seattle to draft him in the top 20... *sigh*
That is nonsense, for one sure Seattle was ripped for taking Bruce Irvin so high after that down year he had, but that is turning out to be a great pickup, along with the very solid Seattle defensive unit overall. As for Mingo, sure he might not be productive but he is a 3/4 OLB prospect, and with that athletic ability, it will benefit him more in that setting where he drops in coverage more often than being a 4/3 pass rusher down after down. Sure overrated, but only in the sense he is not worthy of being a top 1 or 2 pick in the draft.

And like AntoinCD said, he still gets pressure, sure might not get sacks but he gets after it and gains penetration quite often. It is like calling Jared Allen a bad pass rusher because he only has two sacks this season.

rawdawg 10-07-2012 10:06 AM

Yeah, way off base. Mingo is getting a lot of pressure on the QB. He's also getting a lot of attention, with the OT he's lined up against getting help from TE, RB, and even LG. He's still a top 7 pick, but I wouldn't pick him ahead of Jarvis Jones, even though I think he's probably got better pass rushing upside than Jones (Jones more versatile).

jdhommert 10-09-2012 08:29 PM

Not that I've seen him play mutch but I guess I'm just suprised he has been #1 on almost every single big board and mock I've seen. No matter what happens he won't drop out of that #1 slot. I know he's good, I didn't think he was a solid lock for the best player and first off the board no matter what (even at this point in the season as a guess)

but I don't know much about all this, pretty new to the whole draft game