Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Ray Lewis (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54142)

Todd Bertuzzi 10-15-2012 03:47 PM

Ray Lewis
 
Torn tricep will likely keep Ray out for the year and at 37 it will be tough for him to come back from this injury.

It sucks because I wanted to see Lewis and Reed get one more shot at a title and they definitely had a legitimate chance this year before the slew of injuries the Ravens sustained yesterday. Unfotunately Lee Evans may have cost them their best shot last year but that is neither here, nor there.

If this is indeed the last we see of Ray it's a tough way for him to go out. It was hard to imagine his body holding up much longer with the way he played though. I think most people on here grew up watching number 52 strike fear into offenses hearts week after week and you would be hard pressed to find a football fan out there who didn't admire Ray Lewis for the way he played. One of the greatest of all time and also one of the greatest leaders. I don't think we'll ever see anyone else who can deliver a pump up speech like he could. Hope this isn't the end for him but in case it is, what are some of your favourite Ray moments? Countless great videos out there of him that I could probably spend all day watching.






D-Unit 10-15-2012 03:48 PM

What? I didn't realize it was that bad.

Jughead10 10-15-2012 03:52 PM

Before he got hurt, Ray had one of the hardest, clean hits I've seen this season yesterday.

General Zod 10-15-2012 03:53 PM

Yeah its sad. While he has lost a step in recent seasons, we are probably witnessing the end of a career for one of the all time greats in that position.

You can go ahead and get that spot in Canton all ready for him.

TACKLE 10-15-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 3151913)
Before he got hurt, Ray had one of the hardest, clean hits I've seen this season yesterday.




Maybe the homer in me is being too optimistic but it would surprise me very much if he decided to walk away because of this injury. It's not a leg injury that really would effect how well he can run to the ball. Just the way that man is wired, he thrives on overcoming pain and obstacles. Probably sees this as a challenge. It's hard for me to see Ray leaving the game on anything but his own terms.

Todd Bertuzzi 10-15-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3151916)



Maybe the homer in me is being too optimistic but it would surprise me very much if he decided to walk away because of this injury. It's not a leg injury that really would effect how well he can run to the ball. Just the way that man is wired, he thrives on overcoming pain and obstacles. Probably sees this as a challenge. It's hard for me to see Ray leaving the game on anything but his own terms.

I feel the same way but at 37 this year and now with a long road to recovery it's hard to imagine even if he makes it back that he'll have anywhere near the same impact. He had already lost a step prior to yesterday so as sad as it is to say even if he comes back, I think it's safe to say this is the last we've truly seen of the Ray Lewis we know.

Nalej 10-15-2012 04:05 PM



Cute, kid. (Love this commercial)
Also, I hope he makes a quick and full recovery.
Dude's a beast.

D-Unit 10-15-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3151916)



Maybe the homer in me is being too optimistic but it would surprise me very much if he decided to walk away because of this injury. It's not a leg injury that really would effect how well he can run to the ball. Just the way that man is wired, he thrives on overcoming pain and obstacles. Probably sees this as a challenge. It's hard for me to see Ray leaving the game on anything but his own terms.

Even though that was Phillip Tanner... it was a beautiful stuff. I remember seeing that and saying "F'n Ray"...

On closer review though, Doug Free did an excellent job blocking the tushy of our RG Mackenzy Bernadeau! Woohoo!!! :facepalm:

TACKLE 10-15-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi (Post 3151922)
I feel the same way but at 37 this year and now with a long road to recovery it's hard to imagine even if he makes it back that he'll have anywhere near the same impact. He had already lost a step prior to yesterday so as sad as it is to say even if he comes back, I think it's safe to say this is the last we've truly seen of the Ray Lewis we know.

Don't really agree with any of this. Reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. The D as a whole was struggling but individually, Ray was playing some of his best football in years at his new, lighter weight. The issue with Ray as he ages is still 'can he run'. This injury will have no effect on that.

FUNBUNCHER 10-15-2012 04:17 PM

Ray has been a JAG LB for about 3 seasons, IMO it's time for him to hang it up.

It's hard watching him slow to read and react, slow to the hole, or getting blasted by guards, TEs and RBs.

The man who could stone Eddie George one on one in the open field doesn't exist anymore.

Lewis gave the Ravens an identity, and they will always be known for how well they play defense. He set a standard future players and coaches in Baltimore will strive to achieve.

Don't know if Ray is the GOAT at MLB, but I can't really make a list of any who made more plays at all three levels of football field like Lewis did in his prime.

Todd Bertuzzi 10-15-2012 04:22 PM

Just knowing the way he functions, I'm certain he won't let this the way he goes out but as much as I want to see him out there again, I only want to see him out there if he can still play at that high level. With age and injuries all factoring in I'm not sure that will be possible, no matter how well he takes care of his body. At 38 and playing such a smash mouth style for the entirety of his career it's starting to take its toll on him.

D-Unit 10-15-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3151939)
Ray has been a JAG LB for about 3 seasons, IMO it's time for him to hang it up.

Forum management is currently discussing whether or not this warrants an immediate ban for disgustingly blasphemous football talk.

bigbluedefense 10-15-2012 04:44 PM

Ray Lewis is the greatest middle linebacker of all time. And the greatest leader of all time.

Don Vito 10-15-2012 05:14 PM

It is going to be a sad day when Ray Lewis walks away from football. I am a Pats fan and I can say that I still hate that we have to play against him, but I still kind of wish he could play forever. If that makes sense.

Saints-Tigers 10-15-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3151964)
Ray Lewis is the greatest middle linebacker of all time. And the greatest leader of all time.

This. The leadership thing gets talked about too much for some guys. This is one where the man lives up to the legend.

Complex 10-15-2012 05:51 PM

He said he was done as soon as his kid started playing at the U which is next year unless he RS.

BeerBaron 10-15-2012 06:24 PM

He may very well be done. He can go watch his son play for a few years and then get inducted into Canton.

Brent 10-15-2012 06:27 PM

how I feel reading this thread:


eltwentyone 10-15-2012 06:38 PM

He has to hit the juice harder, he will back

Raiderz4Life 10-15-2012 07:18 PM

I has a sad......Ray Lewis is one of my favorite players of all time. Why I tried so hard to be a MLB in HS even though I was absolutely terrible at it.

Smooth Criminal 10-15-2012 07:28 PM

I refuse to believe this will be the end of Ray Lewis. Just can't even imagine it.

He won't want to go out like this. He'll fight like hell to get back on the field next season. I really hope he only does if he can still play though. A washed up Ray Lewis is something I simply never want to see.

Havnt looked at the Steelers board yet to see what they're saying. Don't really want to. From a group of fans that many think Farrior was as good as Lewis in their primes, I don't even want to see the things theyre saying about quite possibly the best MLB of all time, certainly the best I've ever seen.

SeanTaylorRIP 10-15-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 3152093)
I refuse to believe this will be the end of Ray Lewis. Just can't even imagine it.

He won't want to go out like this. He'll fight like hell to get back on the field next season. I really hope he only does if he can still play though. A washed up Ray Lewis is something I simply never want to see.

Havnt looked at the Steelers board yet to see what they're saying. Don't really want to. From a group of fans that many think Farrior was as good as Lewis in their primes, I don't even want to see the things theyre saying about quite possibly the best MLB of all time, certainly the best I've ever seen.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

niel89 10-15-2012 08:47 PM

I've felt empty all day when I heard. I this may or may not be the end, but it helps that its not a leg injury like Tackle said. If he wants to come back, we will always have a spot for him.

I don't like to compare between eras, so I'll just say that Ray is the best LB of his era and one of the best defensive players too. One of the top leaders of all time too. He is a leader of men.

Ravens1991 10-15-2012 09:48 PM

This hit me as hard as any game ever. Including 2006 VS. the colts and the most recent playoff game vs. the Pats. There will always be other years for the team but there will never be another Ray. His credentials are amazing. 13 pro bowls, 10 all pros, 2 dpoy while being in two competely different defensive systems. Only MLB to have 30+ INTs and 40+ Sacks. He was the man on that great 2000 defense that set the record for least amount of points given up in a season. Most elite defensive has several HOFs but all that D had was Ray, a old as dirt Rod Woodson and some good players but everyone forgot about them by now. His leadership is un matched the way he helped the Ravens and other NFL players whether they were rookies or super bowl winning veterans. If he retires im sure its not the last we will see of Ray Lewis around the Ravens organization but it will never be the same. His jersey needs to be retired ASAP

brat316 10-15-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 3152093)
I refuse to believe this will be the end of Ray Lewis. Just can't even imagine it.

He won't want to go out like this. He'll fight like hell to get back on the field next season. I really hope he only does if he can still play though. A washed up Ray Lewis is something I simply never want to see.

Havnt looked at the Steelers board yet to see what they're saying. Don't really want to. From a group of fans that many think Farrior was as good as Lewis in their primes, I don't even want to see the things theyre saying about quite possibly the best MLB of all time, certainly the best I've ever seen.

what? come on who on this board that is a steelers fan would say that?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.