Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mike Holmgren to leave Browns, Joe Banner named team CEO/President (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54153)

vidae 10-16-2012 10:54 AM

Mike Holmgren to leave Browns, Joe Banner named team CEO/President
 
per ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/85...al-sources-say

Rosebud 10-16-2012 10:55 AM

hahaha Cleveland. You will suck forever.

J-Spot 10-16-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3152801)
hahaha Cleveland. You will suck forever.

Joe Banner is actually a really smart guy. He's one of the main reasons the Eagles were so consistently good from 2000-2008. His style of cap management and player signing was crucial to giving the Eagles a competitive advantage in those days by underpaying high-performance players.

Rosebud 10-16-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Spot (Post 3152802)
Joe Banner is actually a really smart guy. He's one of the main reasons the Eagles were so consistently good from 2000-2008. His style of cap management and player signing was crucial to giving the Eagles a competitive advantage in those days by underpaying high-performance players.

And Mike holmgren was one of the main reasons the Packers were so consistently good in the 90s, or the Seahawks were consistently good in the early 2000s. It's cleveland. Doesn't matter who they get, the team's going to suck.

J-Spot 10-16-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3152803)
And Mike holmgren was one of the main reasons the Packers were so consistently good in the 90s, or the Seahawks were consistently good in the early 2000s. It's cleveland. Doesn't matter who they get, the team's going to suck.

I wouldn't be shocked if they eventually end up running the AFC North for the next 7-8 years.

They have a lot of nice young talent on defense (something the other teams in the division - aside from maybe the Bengals - don't have), and I like Richardson as the next Emmitt Smith.

They still need to decide on who their future QB is going to be, and they need someone to tie it all together, but I like where this team is headed. I feel that Banner can make some great signings for this team and get the payroll/cap into efficient order.

SolidGold 10-16-2012 11:02 AM

I think the writing was on the wall when Haslem (sp?) purchased the team. He seems to want to be a more hands on owner. Also Holmgren hasn't done much...he has been overrated for awhile now. This move means Shurmur should be gone after this season as well. If Reid is let go in Philly I am sure Cleveland would pay a pretty penny for him.

DeepThreat 10-16-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3152803)
And Mike holmgren was one of the main reasons the Packers were so consistently good in the 90s, or the Seahawks were consistently good in the early 2000s. It's cleveland. Doesn't matter who they get, the team's going to suck.

The only good thing Holmgren did in Cleveland was hire Tom Heckert. He was otherwise useless.

Malaka 10-16-2012 11:12 AM

I feel like a part of Holmgren's struggles was he always got boned on draft day. He missed out on two QBs he liked Bradford and RGIII, and was forced to make panic contingency moves like Colt McCoy and Weeden.

I do like Trent Richardson, Joe Haden, Joe Thomas, and even Josh Gordon going forward.

gpngc 10-16-2012 11:15 AM

Cleveland kept passing on McCoy in 2009 and then when they took him with like their 4th or 5th pick everyone was like GREAT PICK.

They passed on him 4 times for a reason lol.

Malaka 10-16-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 3152827)
Cleveland kept passing on McCoy in 2009 and then when they took him with like their 4th or 5th pick everyone was like GREAT PICK.

They passed on him 4 times for a reason lol.

Yeah I hated McCoy coming out. I did not see an NFL QB watching him at UT.

BeerBaron 10-16-2012 11:46 AM

Man, today is the day of big changes in the NFL it seems. Maybe Haslem's changes will breathe some life into the Browns. He did used to be part of the Steelers ownership afterall.

vidae 10-16-2012 11:51 AM

I was hoping Scott Pioli and/or Romeo Crennel would be gone today, but I'm not that lucky.

Da-Phins 10-16-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3152801)
hahaha Cleveland. You will suck forever.

Pretty much this.

They brought in Phil Savage and Romeo hoping they can turn the Browns around and change the culture into the "Patriot" way. Epic fail there

Then they brought in Holmgren hoping with his experience that he could finally change this team around. Another epic fail there.

Sorry Browns fans, I feel your pain about team being average forever but it is what it is.

SuperPacker 10-16-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaka (Post 3152822)
I feel like a part of Holmgren's struggles was he always got boned on draft day. He missed out on two QBs he liked Bradford and RGIII, and was forced to make panic contingency moves like Colt McCoy and Weeden.

The Browns could have had RG3 if they wanted him. They weren't forced into anything.

BeerBaron 10-16-2012 01:12 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-keep-his-job/

Shurmur is next unless the Browns go drastically in a "positive direction."

Da-Phins 10-16-2012 01:15 PM

So in other words he will be fired.

SolidGold 10-16-2012 01:59 PM

Weeden and Gordon do seem to have a pretty good rapport going...it's just a shame that Weeden is 29 years old.

Raiderz4Life 10-16-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Spot (Post 3152806)
I wouldn't be shocked if they eventually end up running the AFC North for the next 7-8 years.

They have a lot of nice young talent on defense (something the other teams in the division - aside from maybe the Bengals - don't have), and I like Richardson as the next Emmitt Smith.

They still need to decide on who their future QB is going to be, and they need someone to tie it all together, but I like where this team is headed. I feel that Banner can make some great signings for this team and get the payroll/cap into efficient order.

Hahahaha what????

vidae 10-16-2012 02:04 PM

I gotta be honest, I thought Weeden was going to be so god awful and so far he has been ok. I don't think his success (or whatever you want to call it) so far is because of his age, but he has come in and played ok.

BeerBaron 10-16-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3153041)
I gotta be honest, I thought Weeden was going to be so god awful and so far he has been ok. I don't think his success (or whatever you want to call it) so far is because of his age, but he has come in and played ok.

The problem is though, a new coach coming into a situation with "an ok 29 year old" is going to want his own new, younger guy.

That would be like another coach coming into a team with Jason Campbell or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore as the starting QB. "Just OK" guys who are around 30. If you're drafting where the Browns will likely be drafting and have Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and Tyler Wilson all sitting there as a new head coach, you'll be inclined to go with one of them over Weeden.

SolidGold 10-16-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3153048)
The problem is though, a new coach coming into a situation with "an ok 29 year old" is going to want his own new, younger guy.

That would be like another coach coming into a team with Jason Campbell or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore as the starting QB. "Just OK" guys who are around 30. If you're drafting where the Browns will likely be drafting and have Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and Tyler Wilson all sitting there as a new head coach, you'll be inclined to go with one of them over Weeden.

Yep...If Weeden was 23 this would be a totally different story and I think the Browns would be encouraged by the glimpses he has shown. Shurmur is obviously out after the season no matter what. Haslam is going to hire someone on his accord who will want to bring in his guy at QB.

vidae 10-16-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3153048)
The problem is though, a new coach coming into a situation with "an ok 29 year old" is going to want his own new, younger guy.

That would be like another coach coming into a team with Jason Campbell or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore as the starting QB. "Just OK" guys who are around 30. If you're drafting where the Browns will likely be drafting and have Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and Tyler Wilson all sitting there as a new head coach, you'll be inclined to go with one of them over Weeden.

I never said I disagreed with that, I was just saying that Weeden is better than I thought he'd be. If they have the opportunity to take one of those guys, you have to do it, especially with the shakeup in the organization.

But Weeden is ok.

descendency 10-16-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3153041)
I gotta be honest, I thought Weeden was going to be so god awful and so far he has been ok. I don't think his success (or whatever you want to call it) so far is because of his age, but he has come in and played ok.

He's been very 1st round rookie like... which is to say not too bad. I expected that. My problem with the pick is what could happen in 4-5 years. But fans seemed to be satisfied with using a 1st round pick to get 5 years of (mediocre) QB play.

descendency 10-16-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da-Phins (Post 3152988)
So in other words he will be fired.

He's officially resigning I think. Who knows what lead to that, though. (We all knew when the team was sold, he would be gone. New owners tend to want new VPs, just like new VPs want new GMs, and new GMs want new coaches, and new Coaches want new QBs.)

Rosebud 10-16-2012 06:14 PM

The problem with weeden is he falls apart when things start falling apart around him, if the protection goes his footwork and mechanics go to **** and his accuracy fails. Because of that he isn't going to elevate the players around him and a franchise QB has to do that. Weeden can't n if he learns in 3-4 years it'll be too late.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.