Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Mid-October Big Board (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54158)

AntoinCD 10-16-2012 02:37 PM

Mid-October Big Board
 
Note - these are my own personal rankings and are not indicative of where I believe each prospect will be drafted

1. Barkevious Mingo, DE LSU
2. Geno Smith, QB WVU
3. Star Lotulelei, DT Utah
4. Keenan Allen, WR Cal
5. Manti Te’o, LB Notre Dame
6. Jonathan Hankins, DT Ohio State
7. Chance Warmack, OG Alabama
8. Matt Barkley, QB USC
9. Sam Montgomery, DE LSU
10. Barrett Jones, OL Alabama
11. Tyler Wilson, QB Arkansas
12. Justin Hunter, WR Tennessee
13. John Jenkins, DT Georgia
14. Jonathan Banks, CB Mississippi State
15. Luke Joeckel, OT Texas A&M
16. Dee Milliner, CB Alabama
17. Jarvis Jones, LB Georgia
18. Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame
19. Jake Matthews, OT Texas A&M
20. Bjoern Werner, DE Florida State

Just missed the cut

Kawann Short, DT Purdue
Sheldon Richardson, DT Missouri
Jonathan Cooper, OG North Carolina
Xavier Rhodes, CB Florida State
Tank Carradine, DE Florida State
Taylor Lewan, OT Michigan

killxswitch 10-16-2012 02:42 PM

Pretty big gap between Mingo and Jones. What do you like that much more about Mingo's game?

AntoinCD 10-16-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3153081)
Pretty big gap between Mingo and Jones. What do you like that much more about Mingo's game?

Any time I watch Mingo I see elite explosion and a motor that doesn't quit. His sack total isn't great however he is a force any time he is on the field.

As for Jones I think he is either a 43 OLB who can rush a little or a 34 OLB who is better in coverage and not a consistent pass rusher. I don't see much bend in him. He runs around blockers and uses his speed. That won't work in the NFL. The game against South Carolina was horrendous, however he hasn't been great all year.

y.f.s. 10-16-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3153087)
Any time I watch Mingo I see elite explosion and a motor that doesn't quit. His sack total isn't great however he is a force any time he is on the field.

As for Jones I think he is either a 43 OLB who can rush a little or a 34 OLB who is better in coverage and not a consistent pass rusher. I don't see much bend in him. He runs around blockers and uses his speed. That won't work in the NFL. The game against South Carolina was horrendous, however he hasn't been great all year.

He definitely struggles more with longer, more athletic tackles. That game against SCAR was not the Jarvis Jones I'm used to seeing, and I really think he's still suffering from a groin injury suffered vs Mizzou. He wouldn't even get into full stride in pursuit or anything. Very lethargic game.

He's got really strong hands and converts speed to power well. Offsets the pace of his pass rush well, too. He's just gotta become a more consistent leverage rusher at his height and build.

AntoinCD 10-16-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y.f.s. (Post 3153126)
He definitely struggles more with longer, more athletic tackles. That game against SCAR was not the Jarvis Jones I'm used to seeing, and I really think he's still suffering from a groin injury suffered vs Mizzou. He wouldn't even get into full stride in pursuit or anything. Very lethargic game.

He's got really strong hands and converts speed to power well. Offsets the pace of his pass rush well, too. He's just gotta become a more consistent leverage rusher at his height and build.

The injury could be the major issue this year, he did look a different player last year.

y.f.s. 10-16-2012 06:10 PM

I guess he still isn't practicing and his availability vs UK is in question.

https://twitter.com/ajcuga/status/258278601156333568

Brent 10-16-2012 06:48 PM

LSU DEs v. TAMU OTs this weekend... draft gurus everywhere are salivating.

duesouth 10-17-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 3153300)
LSU DEs v. TAMU OTs this weekend... draft gurus everywhere are salivating.

I give the edge to the LSU DE's. Joeckel and Matthews are very similar, but I think Matthews has shorter arms. Both lack elite foot speed, they aren't a tier one level talent like Kalil was last year. Both have their hands low when setting up in pass protection, so they expose their chest and even Louisiana Tech's DE's gave them a couple of issues last week. Here's my notes from that game:

Luke Joeckel* - OT some have Joeckel ranked in their top 10's, but other than the fact he's a tackle I don't think he belongs here. A few years back the Rams took Jason Smith out of Baylor with the second pick in the Draft and while drafting Joeckel may not be as big of a mistake, I think it would be a similar reach based on position. I'm not a big fan of doing this, if the talent is not available, even at a key position, it's best to find veteran help and come back next year. Clearly difficult with GM's not given much time, but better than a bust.

Joeckel's main issue is that he leaves his chest exposed when setting up in pass protection. His hands are low and when he brings them up, they come into his man from low and outside. At times this means hand placement is too far outside and so it was he was called for holding early in this one. He wasn't up against top competition, but struggled a few times. His man dipped and ripped he had no response and was beaten outside. He struggled against pure speed off the edge and doesn't have the foot speed of a Matt Kalil.

On the positive side, he can sit in his stance and mirror very comfortable. He's very patient on stunts and doesn't get himself overextended. He also handled a spin move very well, moving his feet to mirror and again waited for the man to come to him and hold up. He's not a cloth grabber and I'm not a fan of this as it keeps the defender alive but it appears that's how he's coached. Certainly has ability to sit and mirror but I don't think he's a top tier left tackle prospect.

Jake Matthews* - OT this is my third watch of A&M and I think Matthews arm measurement at the Combine (should he come out early) might be an issue. Like his team mate Joeckel, Matthews hands are low when he sets up in pass protection. That issue of leaving his chest open is further compounded by the fact that when someone gets into him, he struggles to counter as he can't reach and respond. He has to strike first, but with his hands low that doesn't always happen. This issue caused a QB pressure on a play which turned into a interception return for a TD. Like Joeckel, his hand placement is a concern again outside a bit too much. He's very athletic in the run game, getting to the second level quickly but under control. A little light perhaps, too much so to really think about a move inside, but I have some concerns with him and think he might get exposed down the stretch in the SEC.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.